How to install a dash cam on a 2017 mazda cx5

:
Mazda, 2017 cx-5, GT
Not sure if people asked this question before, I will get my cx-5 next week. Anyone here installed a dash cam on it? Any guide here?
Thanks

I'm also interested in this, since I have a new dash cam in the mail, due to arrive any day now.
First time ever setting one up, and a little guide specific to this vehicle would be nice for sure. Might try to hook it up to the battery so I can get the parking sensor feature active too, so knowing where to go through the firewall from inside would be an asset.

I installed mine quite easily. The front power plug is switched so it'll turn off with the engine so that's good. Basically I just ran the power cord in front of the passenger foot area (tucked up out of sight), then up the passenger door (the rubber seam filler piece pulls out just enough to slip the power cord under it). From there, it's visible for a couple of inches at the top until I can tuck it under the roof.

Not sure how much of that made sense, but it's actually pretty easy to get the wire mostly hidden with very little work. I originally planned on making it more permanent but it actually looks good enough that I've left it as-is so far.

I installed mine quite easily. The front power plug is switched so it'll turn off with the engine so that's good. Basically I just ran the power cord in front of the passenger foot area (tucked up out of sight), then up the passenger door (the rubber seam filler piece pulls out just enough to slip the power cord under it). From there, it's visible for a couple of inches at the top until I can tuck it under the roof.

Not sure how much of that made sense, but it's actually pretty easy to get the wire mostly hidden with very little work. I originally planned on making it more permanent but it actually looks good enough that I've left it as-is so far.

I thought the front power plug was always on even when the engine shut off. How did you get it to switch?

If you have the auto-dimming mirror, you can also use Invisicord to plug into that. This has been done on the 2016 models, though I'm not sure if the wiring harness is the same for the 2017.

If you have the auto-dimming mirror, you can also use Invisicord to plug into that. This has been done on the 2016 models, though I'm not sure if the wiring harness is the same for the 2017.

Any link to this?

I would urge caution when running that wire up the trim as you have to cross the curtain airbag. You should really take that A Pillar trim off and run it above the airbag.

IMG_3440.jpg

I have dashcam on my Mazda6.
However, my installation is temporary/ugly, so not going to mention it here.

AFAIK, the Homelink/dimming mirror has two power wires. One is switched (for dimming) and the other is constant (for Homelink).
If you can find the correct wire (should not be difficult), the power line is nearby.
Or, you can run wires beneath the A-pillar trim (yes, do avoid blocking the curtain airbag) and route the wire to the fuse box behind the glove compartment.
There is certain slot that is switched power. You can buy an adaptor (ebay) to plug it there. No need to take up the outlet (the one at the front is switched, and the one in the arm rest/console is constant). It looks cleaner that way.

BTW, love the dash cam. (I have a Mio 358)
You can use it to protect yourself in cases of accidents. A video is better than 1 million words.
When accident do happens, remember to keep that one critical video, and erase the rest.
Stop using dashcam until the case is closed.
Sneaky lawyer of the other party might subpoena the rest of your videos and find fault from them.

Last edited:
What I do is download the video and keep it on my computer. I’ve used a piggy back fuse from inside the kick panel and they attached a power socket. Keep in mind that if you use a power supply in the roof, the camera uses a 5V USB supply and if you just splice the wires, you will blow the camera up. It must have the plug or some other 5V supply.

Just use the power outlet under the HVAC system and you should be OK.

I can confirm that the 2017 is the same. I have the invisicord method on my 2017 right now.

No, they all work with the accessory position on mine and my last 2016.5.

Im specifically referring to the front plug being switched to the ignition on the 2017 (when ignition is off, there's no power to the plug).

Im specifically referring to the front plug being switched to the ignition on the 2017 (when ignition is off, there's no power to the plug).

I was meaning that they all come on with the accessory position and they all go off together with power off.

I can confirm that the 2017 is the same. I have the invisicord method on my 2017 right now.
Good to know. This is still a good clean install option for those who do not want to run wires down the side of the car, or those who have to use the front power socket, like if you're running a radar detector or some other device.

I am interested in this way actually, do you have a picture of this?
Thank you!!

Back