Battery life for 2015 CX-5

I never checked the electrolyte levels. I have also never checked the electrolyte levels in any vehicle I've ever owned. Their batteries still lasted much longer. My own conclusion is that the OEM battery in my Mazda sucked. It's been replaced now and although I am disappointed in Mazda for this, it won't make me not look into buying another one once this one is finished. This and the terrible bluetooth system are my only issues I have ever had with Mazda.

I never checked the electrolyte levels. I have also never checked the electrolyte levels in any vehicle I've ever owned. Their batteries still lasted much longer. My own conclusion is that the OEM battery in my Mazda sucked. It's been replaced now and although I am disappointed in Mazda for this, it won't make me not look into buying another one once this one is finished. This and the terrible bluetooth system are my only issues I have ever had with Mazda.

My friends Mazda had more miles on his car then yours and the original battery was just fine.

You didnt check your electrolyte levels. Like someone else said, you probably just couldve topped up one of the cells and continued using the battery. I wouldnt blame the car because dead bat at 70k+ May be normal depending on your weather conditions.

Whats wrong with the Bluetooth? For me its a bit slow to connect, but it works fine once connected. I prefer to download my music on a USB and use the port in the centre armrest because the music quality is better.

Last edited:
I've replaced one single battery over the past 21 years... and that was in our 2005 Mazda 6. It had sat for a few months when we sold/bought our new house. The OEM battery in my 4Runner was still going strong after 13 years when I traded it in.
Wow! Another example of Toyota OE battery which lasted 13+ years! (boom07)

Then, there's the reason for your car's poor battery life.

You cant blame Mazda for your lack of basic maintenance. Run them dry, they will fail early, pretty well guaranteed.

Maybe your other cars had sealed, maintenance free batteries?

The CX5's battery needs to be maintained, its clearly shown in the owner's manual. Just check and top up with distilled water 3 or 4 times per year, its not that difficult.

I dont understand why you would not do that?

All my past Nissan batteries lasted no more then 4 years. 4.5 so far on my CX5 battery and still going strong.

All my past Nissan batteries lasted no more then 4 years. 4.5 so far on my CX5 battery and still going strong.

There is such a wide range of quality, temperatures, individual usage details, and vehicle demands that it is very difficult to pin down a estimated time of death. What I have noticed with todays FULLY computerized cars is that now you absolutely need the correct 12v+ battery voltage to get the car to fire. Gone are the days of slow cranking or bump starting...

The Miata batteries, in both of the 1992's I had were gel cells or AGM batteries (Absorbed Glass Mat). They get 10yrs service life out of them fairly regularly, but the downfall is that they are NOT SERVICABLE.

The traditional flooded wet cell batteries, and even most of the "Maintenance Free" batteries will have caps or lids, sometimes hidden under decals, where the electrolyte CAN BE SERVICED by refilling 1 or more of the 6 cells. In this pic we can see the cell on the right is low.
enynjiydkkxbw1xcpinp.jpg

While working in the auto parts stores, I would try and save folks some money by recommending that they add water and charge it. However some customers just did not have the time to mess with it, they had just been stranded and wanted a NEW battery. We also had a very shrewd customer, who would come in every week to inspect the old customer CORE batteries. More often than not, after looking through all of the cores, he would find himself a battery that had an electrolyte level inspection window that showed one or more cells low on water. He would then pay us the $5 core charge to buy the "bad" battery, take the battery home, add water, charge it, and he would resell them, and install into cars at his used car lot.

Last edited:
Then, there's the reason for your car's poor battery life.

You cant blame Mazda for your lack of basic maintenance. Run them dry, they will fail early, pretty well guaranteed.

Maybe your other cars had sealed, maintenance free batteries?

The CX5's battery needs to be maintained, its clearly shown in the owner's manual. Just check and top up with distilled water 3 or 4 times per year, its not that difficult.
I dont understand why you would not do that?
Please show me where this "battery maintenance" is listed in our CX-5 maintenance schedule list? Or which page in our CX-5 Owner's Manual says we need to check electrolyte levels?

BTW, my friend had never checked electrolyte levels for the battery in his Lexus LX which lasted 13+ years.

I am really surprised that car makers now a days are still using batteries that need distilled water top ups. I thought that was a ancient thing. None of my Toyotas or BMW have needed a top up in the last 15 years. They were all maintenance free batteries and lasted all from 8 to 10 years. Topping up is not a problem but remembering to check and top up is a problem.

My friends Mazda had more miles on his car then yours and the original battery was just fine.

You didnt check your electrolyte levels. Like someone else said, you probably just couldve topped up one of the cells and continued using the battery. I wouldnt blame the car because dead bat at 70k+ May be normal depending on your weather conditions.

Whats wrong with the Bluetooth? For me its a bit slow to connect, but it works fine once connected. I prefer to download my music on a USB and use the port in the centre armrest because the music quality is better.

The bluetooth consistently disconnects within 2 or 3 minutes of initially connecting to my phone.

Okay so here's my story. I have a 2015 Mazda CX-5. I have 81,000 miles on it currently and my battery is surprisingly dead. Most Vehicles I've ever had have had a battery life of 5 to 7 years on average. Did my Mazda battery died prematurely? Or is this just typical for Mazda's factory battery?

My 2015 w 65k mi is fine. Just as a datapoint.

The bluetooth consistently disconnects within 2 or 3 minutes of initially connecting to my phone.

What kind of Phone? While changing the cabin filter last night I noticed a small laptop hard drive looking device bolted right unto the top of the dash...it read bluetooth. No issues with Smasung Galaxy S3 and iPhone 6. Try getting it replaced under warranty.

My bluetooth has worked flawlessly. Maybe had 2 times where it disconnected the past 4 1/2 years and had to re-pair. I think that's also 3 different Android phones I've had in that span.

Regarding battery, mine still works, but I've killed it a lot leaving the domelight on overnight. Guaranteed dead battery in the morning when I do that.

Wife used to kill the battery leaving the dome light on overnight.

Discovered soon enough another benefit of installing LED interior bulbs...wife left on overnight but battery did not die.

Wife used to kill the battery leaving the dome light on overnight.

Discovered soon enough another benefit of installing LED interior bulbs...wife left on overnight but battery did not die.

Yeah, I need to look at some LED interior light kits. What did you end up using and how much $$$ ?

IMO, these batteries are cheap and not long lasting. We had to replace ours already on our 2014 cx5 that had 30,000 Miles at the time. Replaced with another oem from the dealer(they paid for the new one so I wasnt about to buy a slightly better one from a parts store). This new one has been good actually because its now at 55,000 miles and still can hold a good charge. The alternator belt snapped and I drove a half hour with no charging from the alternator and still had my lights on and after I replaced the belt, it could still startup normally. But I dont think itll last long at all. When this one goes Ill get a good, high CCA battery because our winters get super cold and the Mazda battery has this thing cranking really slow in -10 weather. Meanwhile my sisters 10 year old Volkswagen has the original battery in it up until last year. It still cranked fast and everything. Tested awesome. However it got damaged from tools falling on it when it was out of the car so we had to replace it.

Please show me where this "battery maintenance" is listed in our CX-5 maintenance schedule list? Or which page in our CX-5 Owner's Manual says we need to check electrolyte levels?

BTW, my friend had never checked electrolyte levels for the battery in his Lexus LX which lasted 13+ years.

See "Maintenance and care" in the introductory section of the manual starting on page 26 (in my manual.)

"Owner Maintenance Precautions"
"Routine service"

"We highly recommend that these items be inspected daily, or at least every week.
- Engine oil level
- Engine coolant level
- Brake and clutch fluid level
- Washer fluid level
- Battery maintenance
- Tyre pressure inflation."

The detailed battery maintenance procedure is then set out in Section 6 "Owner Maintenance" page 6-26 to 6-28. It even points out on p 6-28 that "a low level of electrolyte fluid will cause the battery to discharge quickly."

Not that anyone with even basic car maintenance knowledge would need to be told that....

Maintaining the battery is also covered in the scheduled maintenance listing to be checked when servicing in section 6-5 and on 6.6 it states "inspect the battery electrolite level specific gravity and outer appearance". So if you are servicing yourself instead of the dealer or other service centre, its in the list to be done.

I think that has it covered pretty thoroughly.

Using the excuse that I never checked the electrolite level because

(a) I never did it on any of my other cars, or
(b) because my mate never checked his on his Lexus and it lasted 10 years;

simply doesnt wash in the face of what Mazda advises you to do in the owner's manual.

Last edited:
There is such a wide range of quality, temperatures, individual usage details, and vehicle demands that it is very difficult to pin down a estimated time of death. What I have noticed with todays FULLY computerized cars is that now you absolutely need the correct 12v+ battery voltage to get the car to fire. Gone are the days of slow cranking or bump starting...

The Miata batteries, in both of the 1992's I had were gel cells or AGM batteries (Absorbed Glass Mat). They get 10yrs service life out of them fairly regularly, but the downfall is that they are NOT SERVICABLE.

The traditional flooded wet cell batteries, and even most of the "Maintenance Free" batteries will have caps or lids, sometimes hidden under decals, where the electrolyte CAN BE SERVICED by refilling 1 or more of the 6 cells. In this pic we can see the cell on the right is low.
enynjiydkkxbw1xcpinp.jpg

While working in the auto parts stores, I would try and save folks some money by recommending that they add water and charge it. However some customers just did not have the time to mess with it, they had just been stranded and wanted a NEW battery. We also had a very shrewd customer, who would come in every week to inspect the old customer CORE batteries. More often than not, after looking through all of the cores, he would find himself a battery that had an electrolyte level inspection window that showed one or more cells low on water. He would then pay us the $5 core charge to buy the "bad" battery, take the battery home, add water, charge it, and he would resell them, and install into cars at his used car lot.

That is a good photo of the Panasonic battery. I wonder if the low cell is the one that would be farthest to the back and hardest (but not that difficult that it cannot be done) to top up when installed in the car?

See "Maintenance and care" in the introductory section of the manual starting on page 26 (in my manual.)

"Routine service"

"We highly recommend that these items be inspected daily, or at least every week.
- Engine oil level
- Engine coolant level
- Washer fluid level
- Battery maintenance

The detailed battery maintenance procedure is then set out in Section 6 "Owner Maintenance" page 6-26 to 6-28. It even points out on p 6-28 that "a low level of electrolyte fluid will cause the battery to discharge quickly."

Not that anyone with even basic car maintenance knowledge would need to be told that....

Maintaining the battery is also covered in the scheduled maintenance listing to be checked when servicing in section 6-5 and on 6.6 it states "inspect the battery electrolite level specific gravity and outer appearance". So if you are servicing yourself instead of the dealer or other service centre, its in the list to be done.

simply doesnt wash in the face of what Mazda advises you to do in the owner's manual.

Thanks for pointing to the relevant manual details.

Not directed at you, but at Mazda. Suggesting that one should check the battery and oil level daily is absurd.

"Routine service"

- Engine oil level
- Engine coolant level
- Washer fluid level
- Battery maintenance

Sorry, these statements may be in your Aussie manual, but nothing close mentioned in our Owner's Manual, maintenance schedule or electrolyte level check. OP is from US, you can't blame the short-lived OEM battery on lack of maintenance by OP!

Here is Battery Maintenance on page 6-36 in US 2017 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual:

▼ Battery Maintenance

To get the best service from a battery:
 Keep it securely mounted.
 Keep the top clean and dry.
 Keep terminals and connections clean, tight, and coated with petroleum jelly or terminal grease.
 Rinse off spilled electrolyte immediately with a solution of water and baking soda.
 If the vehicle will not be used for an extended time, disconnect the battery cables and charge the battery every six weeks.

▼ Battery Replacement
Contact an Authorized Mazda Dealer for a battery replacement purchase.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual

Back