Disable Gracenote on a 2017 CX-5 GT

My system seems to load up and play the music quickly from USB. Once that happens the Gracenote info is displayed. The Gracenote info doesn't hold up the music.

Anyone figured out how to disable Gracenote in 2017 Mazda? My problem is not with the delay, it slightly annoying but can live with the delay. For me, gracenote is overwriting my artcover that i've taken so much time to fix in all my mp3. It apparently also break the genre that I was hoping to use as a playlist. There has been times where by artcovers are loaded perfectly but as soon as Gracenote kicks in, it changes in front of my eyes.

So far, I followed this https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...acenote.html&usg=AOvVaw3ibqNTgRJWXozfYekSCb-L and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmhyF_njw3Y

All of it was achievable but somehow, gracenote is still enabled. I still get the powered by gracenote tm message and all artcover still messed up along with genre. Would really like to turn this off.

Yep, doesn't seem like disabling Gracenote works with the latest version of Mazda Connect. *Really* wish I could kill it - besides the slow load times (10-30 seconds, most time), it does override art covers and at times, tags.

Mazda recommends using no larger then a 16gb flash drive.

Sounds like a reasonable limit ... for a 2009 car. My 2013 Civic was able to handle a 160GB iPod with not much trouble.

So annoying -- today it started the playback before Gracenote crap loaded, showing the proper artwork for the song. A couple minutes later ... some generic crap shows up.

I'm using both my USB outlets in the front. One has MP3's at 320kbps with 51 albums on a 16gb stick, half full and the other 16gb stick with lossless Wav files, only 5 albums. Everything sounds great and works flawlessly. The Wav files sound the best.

Sounds like a reasonable limit ... for a 2009 car. My 2013 Civic was able to handle a 160GB iPod with not much trouble.

So annoying -- today it started the playback before Gracenote crap loaded, showing the proper artwork for the song. A couple minutes later ... some generic crap shows up.

The civic comparison is not a good one. The ipod was the tool that indexed and played the music - the car just supplied an interface you could manipulate more easily. I am pretty sure a 160gb ipod/iphone (if such a thing) would work fine with the MazdaConnect unit.

But when talking about a USB flash drive, the MazdaConnect system has to sort and decode the sound files, read the tags, etc. A very different workload then when iphone or android is streaming music.

The civic comparison is not a good one. The ipod was the tool that indexed and played the music - the car just supplied an interface you could manipulate more easily. I am pretty sure a 160gb ipod/iphone (if such a thing) would work fine with the MazdaConnect unit.

But when talking about a USB flash drive, the MazdaConnect system has to sort and decode the sound files, read the tags, etc. A very different workload then when iphone or android is streaming music.

I only use the "Folder" navigation of the flash drive, which (thankfully) becomes available right away. It takes MzdConnect/Gracenote up to 5 minutes to index the entire drive, and make the other options (Artist/Genre/etc) available. Ironically, before that happens the system would show the correct artwork embedded in the file -- only to replace it with a generic image of the band, or a black square once it completes the Gracenote lookup.

Was never able to use iPod Classic with the Mazda -- not even once it was able to successfully complete the loading of the same device I took out of the Civic (I normally gave up after about 15 minutes).

The only way to see if the above link works is to try it. Someone has to be the first person.

I went to a BIG effort ensuring that the metadata in all of my music was accurate. Gracenote has ruined all my work! So I did try the interrupted update method of disabling Gracenote but was told that no later version was available for my 2017 CX-5 so the system would not allow me to update. Since this car was purchased in Oct 2017, I guess this is possible.

BUT - we also have a 2017 MX-5 which was purchased during April, 2017. I was also told that I had the latest version and the system would not allow an update to Gracenote. This one has me stumped - how do I disable Gracenote if the system keeps telling me that I have the latest version and will not allow me to update?

I went to a BIG effort ensuring that the metadata in all of my music was accurate. Gracenote has ruined all my work! So I did try the interrupted update method of disabling Gracenote but was told that no later version was available for my 2017 CX-5 so the system would not allow me to update. Since this car was purchased in Oct 2017, I guess this is possible.

BUT - we also have a 2017 MX-5 which was purchased during April, 2017. I was also told that I had the latest version and the system would not allow an update to Gracenote. This one has me stumped - how do I disable Gracenote if the system keeps telling me that I have the latest version and will not allow me to update?

I had trouble updating Gracenote at first but did this below and it worked like a charm.

Go to" http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.c...o=/gracenote " and enter Year, Model, Trim and follow instruction on the next page. I downloaded the file directly to my USB flash drive. Put it into the car and the update took about 10 min.

My update was from 000.007 to 000.008 or something like that.

There is a few posts on line on how to disable gracenote but this is to be done at the owners risk.

I've disabled Gracenote as per directions given here and elsewhere. When I go into Settings>System>About, it says there is no version. Great! As I was going through my thumb drive, occasionally there would be a song that had no album art. Beyond frustrating, as I've spent many hours fixing album art issues. When I went to this one song, the old album art was displayed that I was sure I had corrected. Then the picture went away. Turned the thing off and went in the house. Went back outside and turned the car back on. When the infotainment center loaded and the song started, the correct album art was displayed. After a few seconds, "Powered by Gracenote" appears on the screen and the album art goes away. checked it with a few other tracks with the same results -- the correct album art is there until "Powered by Gracenote" comes on the screen, at which time it disappears. Double-check Settings>System>About, it still says there is no version.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
... After a few seconds, "Powered by Gracenote" appears on the screen and the album are goes away. checked it with a few other tracks with the same results -- the correct album art is there until "Powered by Gracenote" comes on the screen, at which time it disappears. Double-check Settings>System>About, it still says there is no version.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm guessing you meant the album art goes away. My guess, totally a guess is when Gracenote was enabled and it didn't know the track information it imbedded the art in the media file.

What ?!? - you can put album art in an MP3? Yep.

you are not alone:

mazda is less than helpful:

factory reset to CMU in your future?

Last edited:
What makes it even more baffling to me is that it is not consistent. I can have 10 mp3s whose album art I have changed (the majority of my files are older songs,, and I usually prefer to have the art from the original release rather than a "Greatest Hits" album. Of those 10, say 3 display no picture. If I turn it off/on, the art displays for a few seconds, then goes away as described earlier. The other 7 have no issue whatsoever. And, it's always those same 3.

The factory reset option in the service menu is grayed out.

After reading one of the threads to which you had linked, I'm going to try editing the file name. Many of my files are just named the title of the track, while others have the (album's) track number then the name. Some numbered ones are duplicates of non-numbered ones, I'm sure, and I'm not sure which is adversely affected. I think I'll delete the non-numbered duplicate, as the numbered one would be the one with the updated album art.

I might be getting somewhere. I've found (so far) that if I delete a file (from my thumb drive) that has the album art disappear after a few seconds, fix the album art issue, then copy it back onto my thumb drive, it does fine. The picture stays, even after the Gracenote message pops up.

At least I don't have all that many files to deal with (fewer than 500).

I don't completely understand, all my images show the album cover. I have never seen anything called Gracenote on my USB. I loaded all my music from my CD's to my USB drive using windows media player (works with 7 or 10). I wrote a how to with pictures that I actually gave to my dealer, because he said he had lost the sale of a vehicle because it didn't have a CD player. I uploaded the step by step instructions as a pdf file. Once done, do not upgrade Gracenote. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Rip CD to Flashdrive.pdf
    327.1 KB · Views: 97
I don't completely understand, all my images show the album cover. I have never seen anything called Gracenote on my USB. I loaded all my music from my CD's to my USB drive using windows media player (works with 7 or 10). I wrote a how to with pictures that I actually gave to my dealer, because he said he had lost the sale of a vehicle because it didn't have a CD player. I uploaded the step by step instructions as a pdf file. Once done, do not upgrade Gracenote. Hope this helps.
Gracenote is a service (database) that is part of the infotainment in many vehicles, including Mazdas and Toyotas. It's not on a USB, CD, or any other media. Ripping a CD onto a thumb drive is great, and for the most part is enough. However, if it's, say, a compilation CD of #1 hits from the '90s, I wouldn't want the info on every song to simply read "#1 Hits from the '90s" with the same goofy album art on each and every song. I'd much rather see the original album the song was on with its album art.

There are many posts in various forums about incorrect artist names or genres, etc. due to Gracenote's overriding the metadata that's embedded in the file. When Gracenote is removed, tracks display as the individual intended.

I might be getting somewhere. I've found (so far) that if I delete a file (from my thumb drive) that has the album art disappear after a few seconds, fix the album art issue, then copy it back onto my thumb drive, it does fine. The picture stays, even after the Gracenote message pops up.
Nope -- not so lucky.

Back