2017~2024 CX-5 remote starter fob

Varinn

:
2017 CX5 GT
This might seem like a dumb question but it's honestly the only thing that's come up as a concern/complaint (however minor) on my wife's new CX5. We were expecting to get the remote starter fob with the little picture on it that is shaped similarly to the standard key fob for the car.

However the one the dealer provided looks like an older style that basically doesn't function without extending the stupid little antenna every time and it's a bit annoying. We asked the dealer who said this is the newest model for the fobs but I can't imagine they went and upgraded the previous ones to these? Can anyone confirm if the dealer is full of crap? Is it possible for us to someday buy just the fob and upgrade it without changing our entire system?

56SnImO.jpg

This is not a joke that the "new-and-improved" Remote Engine Start system from Mazda genuine accessary has a separate key fob with telescopic antenna:

About to Get CX-5 GT AWD, Looking for advice

I suggest you to get a much better after-market iDatalink remote start system utilizing your factory key fob and won't shut the engine off when you open the door:

2017 CX-5 Auto start

Look at iDatalink. I have a 2014 and have the HC2352AC installed. It enables the OEM Fob to start the car with lock 3X's. The module also has secure takeover, so if you have the OEM Fob with you when you press on the brake it doesn't shut off the car.

Last edited:
What a shame. A very small shame, but I must say that seems a bit of a s*** solution to a problem from a company that has made an otherwise incredible car for the money.

I'll look at the datalink option down the line. For the time being we've already invested into the not-so-great oem solution so we'll just live with it for now. Seems wacky to me that Mazda had such a lame solution while the ford escape and other comparable models were able to plunk the remote starter button into the primary fobs as standard option for the higher trim levels.

That thing is a joke. I'd be embarrassed to show my customer that.

New member; first time poster and new/ first time Mazda owner.

I got the Mazda remote starter with my new cx-5.

I was very surprised that they key fob looked like a Zoolander phone. A bit disappointing, given that the key fob for my 2009 Acura CSX looked much nicer and had a confirmation LCD display.

I'm also not impressed that a separate key fob is required in addition to the smart key. If I knew this, I would have gotten the mobile phone based option.

Back