KE wheels on KF model

angoose77

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 SKYACTIV-G
Hi everyone

Hope this question hasn't been asked before - I searched on the forum and couldn't find a thread on it.

Does anyone here have experience of fitting KE-series wheels onto the new KF-series?

I'm due to take delivery of a 2017 model CX-5 petrol on 17 in rims next week. But because I live in deepest Europe, I'm going to have to fit winter tyres at some point in the next few months, and I'd like to get a spare set of wheels for the winter as it's much easier to take wheels on and off than to fit and remove tyres twice per year!

Mazda want EUR 1,600 for a set of 17 in alloys and winter tyres, which seems quite steep. So I'd rather grab a set of used CX-5 wheels and use them instead ;)

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks all.

Those 17" wheels from 1st-gen will fit perfectly for your 2nd-gen CX-5 with winter tires. But you have to install new valve stem with TPMS tire pressure sensor as the 2nd-gen CX-5 uses a different TPMS system. See this thread from Sweden who's also looking for the additional winter tire set:

After market TPMS sensor compatibility?

Hi yrwei52 - thanks for your reply! And that's disappointing, because I had done some research on the Mazda TPMS, and the "old" system which relied on the ABS sensors to detect low tyre pressures sounded quite good, and much more cost effective than the new system with valve-stem sensors. So I may have to re-think my winter tyre plan! But thanks a lot for confirming that the 1st gen wheels will fit OK on the KF model.

Do you know whether, if I simply opt to change the summer tyres for winter tyres, it's possible to use the TPMS sensors from the summer tyres for the winter tyres, i.e. can they be switched from one set of tyres to another? (Sorry for all the questions!)

Thanks, Angus

Hi yrwei52 - thanks for your reply! And that's disappointing, because I had done some research on the Mazda TPMS, and the "old" system which relied on the ABS sensors to detect low tyre pressures sounded quite good, and much more cost effective than the new system with valve-stem sensors. So I may have to re-think my winter tyre plan! But thanks a lot for confirming that the 1st gen wheels will fit OK on the KF model.

Do you know whether, if I simply opt to change the summer tyres for winter tyres, it's possible to use the TPMS sensors from the summer tyres for the winter tyres, i.e. can they be switched from one set of tyres to another? (Sorry for all the questions!)

Thanks, Angus

The tmps is not part of the wheel, its part of the vable stem so yes. Around here, tpms tires are charged mpre for tire installation etc

Thanks, Angus
Yeah you can move the valve stem with TPMS sensor around from your summer tire / wheel to your winter tire / wheel. Not sure if you need a set of new rubber gasket to install it to a different rim. But this means you need to pay additional labor cost to remove the tire to get the sensor out and re-do the tire balancing afterwards. This tire swapping could also running more risk of damaging the rims. If you want to do that, might as well just save your money for additional wheels on winter tires, just swap the tire sets on your original rims. That may not be economical and it should be better off to buy a new set of valve stem with TPMS sensors and installed them in your winter tire set and be done with it.

BTW, the OEM valve stem with TPMS sensor on 2017 CX-5 is much cheaper in UK, so you should check the price locally first and then make your decision.

Part No.: BHA4-37-140 List $91.74 Each!
41ymaplVM3L._SX300_.jpg

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!!!

Great, thanks Chris_Top_Her and yrwei52 for your replies, that's very helpful. I think I may do as you suggest, and buy a second set of rims. I've always had two sets of rims for my summer and winter tyres in the past, as I'm also not a big fan of constantly swapping tyres/rims. That's why I was wandering about buying KE-series wheels for my KF-model, as all the second-hand rims in Europe are KE-series ones.

Thanks for the tip on the TPMS-fitted valve stems being cheaper in the UK. I should bring a load of them to the US next time I visit and sell on eBay!

If I don't have time to sort out the TPMS valve stems before buying the winter tyres and 2nd set of rims, can I just fit the winter tyres without sensors - or will I constantly get bombarded with angry warning messages about the TPM System?

Many thanks

Angus

Great, thanks Chris_Top_Her and yrwei52 for your replies, that's very helpful. I think I may do as you suggest, and buy a second set of rims. I've always had two sets of rims for my summer and winter tyres in the past, as I'm also not a big fan of constantly swapping tyres/rims. That's why I was wandering about buying KE-series wheels for my KF-model, as all the second-hand rims in Europe are KE-series ones.

Thanks for the tip on the TPMS-fitted valve stems being cheaper in the UK. I should bring a load of them to the US next time I visit and sell on eBay!

If I don't have time to sort out the TPMS valve stems before buying the winter tyres and 2nd set of rims, can I just fit the winter tyres without sensors - or will I constantly get bombarded with angry warning messages about the TPM System?

Many thanks

Angus
I have no experience on how TPMS warning goes on my 2016 CX-5 as mine has not been triggered yet. But I believe there'll be at least TPMS warning light without beeping if you have no TPMS sensors. It can be different on your 2017 CX-5 but if that's the case you can try to ignore the warning light the way suggested by raj55 in another thread: ;)

⋯ I may just use the winter tires without TPMS (since it is allowed here) and just put a black tape over the TPMS warning light.
Here you go ⋯ ;)

Last edited:
the EDM TPMS sensor is different... the part number is BHB6-37-140A-9A for KFs built after 1 March 2017 (VIN: 600085+) or BHB6-37-140A for ones built before... UK price is 23,80 each for the former, 37,33 each for the latter
you will also need the mounting nuts... part number GS1D-37-141A... same ones as GH Mazda6.... price 8.47 each

Back