Infotainment system

Bgf150xlt

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 touring
I just got the 2016.5 CX5 touring. And I am totally disappointed that at 7300 mile my infotainment system is crashing. Will not boot up and back up camera also has issues. It fades while in reverse. When pay this kind of money for a Mazda you should not have these issues. But after looking at some of the blogs here I find this is a big issue with all mazdas. I really wish I had stuck to my hondas I've owned 4 Hondas with never an issue. I know some cars have issues and its all about luck but my research has shown Mazda is the worst. Does anyone else feel this way or just me. I think I will get it fixed and sell it at a loss and get the CRV have one now and no issues.

How many times have your system crashed on you? When I had my 2014 mazda 3 when they first came out, the infotainment system would crash very often. It was brand new and I believe it was the first mazda to use the current infotainment system so it's bound to have some bugs here and there. Dealer updated the software for me and with each update it gets smoother and smoother. I think I had it updated maybe 3-4 times and never had an issue for the last two'ish years I've had it. But yeah I would take it to the dealer and do a software update if needed.
Also I wouldn't say hondas are trouble free, I frequent the civic and accord forums and they've all had their fair share of infotainment issues (system crashes, bluetooth pairing issues, false error reports, ect.) Did you previous hondas all have their infotaiment system too? I've had hondas before, and they were pretty much trouble free for the time I've had it but mine didn't have infotainment system at the time.

I just got the 2016.5 CX5 touring. And I am totally disappointed that at 7300 mile my infotainment system is crashing. Will not boot up and back up camera also has issues. It fades while in reverse. When pay this kind of money for a Mazda you should not have these issues. But after looking at some of the blogs here I find this is a big issue with all mazdas. I really wish I had stuck to my hondas I've owned 4 Hondas with never an issue. I know some cars have issues and its all about luck but my research has shown Mazda is the worst. Does anyone else feel this way or just me. I think I will get it fixed and sell it at a loss and get the CRV have one now and no issues.

Get your dealer to update the firmware.

If that doesn't work, they can replace the whole system if needed. I'm aware of atleast one person who's had this done because they had so many issues. It was on a Mazda 3.

Just you....... 20,000 miles on my 2016 and cars been perfect, best I've ever owned

So rather than take your new CX-5 in to the dealer to be repaired under warranty you're going to sell it for a loss? I'll give you $5k as is.

If your infotainment system and backup camera didn't have problems until recently, that would be hardware problems and any software updates won't help. Go to your Mazda dealer and demand the whole unit replacement of your infotainment system.

My GPS has been broken since a year ago with "Your system doesn't equip a GPS" error. Of course I'd tried everything I could such as hard reset and re-load the SD card to no avail. Since we don't use GPS which lacks the "Live Traffic" feature, I'm not in the hurry to get it fixed under warranty.

Yep Mazda's quality is a hit-and-miss IMO. If you are getting used to quality and reliability of Honda's and Toyota's and feel the Mazda's should be the same, your expectation may be too high. ;)

Get your dealer to update the firmware.

If that doesn't work, they can replace the whole system if needed. I'm aware of atleast one person who's had this done because they had so many issues. It was on a Mazda 3.
If OP's infotainment system doesn't have crashing problems until recently, software or firmware updates won't help as the software will never change but the hardware components will degrade and fail.

When the 2nd-gen CX-9 just came out in 2016, there were many cases that the MDZ infotainment system keeps crashing or the display keeps fading. Turned out the infotainment hardware unit under the tablet screen needs to get replaced!

No need to be all doom and gloom here, dealer updated my system last week per TSB 09-017/17 last week, made a world of difference, make sure yours is updated to the latest because it sounds like it isn't. System performs a lot faster. Had a camera issue a few months ago- didn't show up on the infotainment screen, haven't seen the problem since then. Newest updates are to solve a whole range of problems.

⋯ Newest updates are to solve a whole range of problems.
Software updates are to solve programming bugs, not for hardware problems. If OP's problem didn't exist before but starts showing up recently, that's hardware related issues.

Software updates are to solve programming bugs, not for hardware problems. If OP's problem didn't exist before but starts showing up recently, that's hardware related issues.

You can't say that for sure. Software corrupts all the time. Best let the dealership diagnose and fix it as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Always amazes me how some react when a car has an issue.(boom07)

This guy had some issues with his new Mercedes, and the dealer was not helpful, so he did this to his car out in front of the dealer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/06sA10Gd8OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

How do you know for sure it's even hardware related??? You don't even know what software version he has, but hey, driving the car over a cliff and bashing Mazda is always a great start...
It could very well be hardware related, but you always start with the simple things first which would be checking the software version and updating it if needed

Last edited:
You can't say that for sure. Software corrupts all the time. Best let the dealership diagnose and fix it as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Software corruption is the hardware issue. If the program in machine code saved in the EPROM corrupted causing the problem, it's the hardware problem as the EPROM somehow couldn't save the code correctly!

There're many hardware components could go wrong and fail, which would crash the system or cause the display fading out.

If OP's infotainment system doesn't have crashing problems until recently, software or firmware updates won't help as the software will never change but the hardware components will degrade and fail.

When the 2nd-gen CX-9 just came out in 2016, there were many cases that the MDZ infotainment system keeps crashing or the display keeps fading. Turned out the infotainment hardware unit under the tablet screen needs to get replaced!

Exactly. Whole system needs replacing if its completely mucking up and firmware updates don't help

you don't even know what software version he has, but hey, driving the car over a cliff and bashing Mazda is always a great start...
Think about it, there're many 2016 CX-5 owners, including a friend who bought one under my recommendation, whose infotainment system is still running the factory version of software and seldom have any crashes? If OP's system is stable at beginning and now starts having crashes, it's definitely the hardware problem as the software will never change. Even the corrupted code is the hardware issue from the EPROM.

I don't agree OP's opinion of fixing the crashing problem under warranty and selling his CX-5 at a loss. But we've seen quite a few ex-Mazda owners here did this after they have major issues when their CX-5 was new. Most first-time buyers on Mazda products their patient on quality and reliability is thin. They would tolerate some problems on Toyota's and Honda's due to their excellent reputation, but not on Mazda's!

Ever noticed how many old-timers are still hanging around here (paris1 and Chris_Top_Her to name a few are still here)? Most of them had already get rid of thier 3~5 years old CX-5 and left the forum with various reasons but I do feel the quality and reliability account much of the reasons. That's why Mazda is having industry-low customer retention rate IMO.

Think about it, there're many 2016 CX-5 owners, including a friend who bought one under my recommendation, whose infotainment system is still running the factory version of software and seldom have any crashes? If OP's system is stable at beginning and now starts having crashes, it's definitely the hardware problem as the software will never change. Even the corrupted code is the hardware issue from the EPROM.

I don't agree OP's opinion of fixing the crashing problem under warranty and selling his CX-5 at a loss. But we've seen quite a few ex-Mazda owners here did this after they have major issues when their CX-5 was new. Most first-time buyers on Mazda products their patient on quality and reliability is thin. They would tolerate some problems on Toyota's and Honda's due to their excellent reputation, but not on Mazda's!

Ever noticed how many old-timers are still hanging around here (paris1 and Chris_Top_Her to name a few are still here)? Most of them had already get rid of thier 3~5 years old CX-5 and left the forum with various reasons but I do feel the quality and reliability account much of the reasons. That's why Mazda is having industry-low customer retention rate IMO.

Today on "Pulling things out of my ass"... (rolleyes)

My '14 Mazda3 had the earliest version. (3x, I believe)
It has gone through 3-4 updates each time I went to the dealer for an oil change.
They would do it w/o change.
It is on 59 now. So is my Mazda6 and CX5. This version seems fine.

Yes, there were few problems with early version... I can list them if you are interested.

Back