2017+ Auto leveling headlights

:
2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.
Has anyone seen them work on this car? So far I haven't seen it in action yet. On my previous car, 2014 mazda3 sGT, it also has auto leveling headlights and I can see it at work. For example, when a rear passenger exits the car, I can see the headlights go up a bit. Another one is when I'm on a slight angle in my driveway or something and after going back to a flat surface I can see the headlights adjust its height. So far I haven't seen it at work on this car :/ Just curious if anyone noticed it working so far lol

Has anyone seen them work on this car? So far I haven't seen it in action yet. On my previous car, 2014 mazda3 sGT, it also has auto leveling headlights and I can see it at work. For example, when a rear passenger exits the car, I can see the headlights go up a bit. Another one is when I'm on a slight angle in my driveway or something and after going back to a flat surface I can see the headlights adjust its height. So far I haven't seen it at work on this car :/ Just curious if anyone noticed it working so far lol

Ive seen them work. If you start up the engine facing a wall, you will see them self test - they dip up and down through their full stroke. The operation of the 2017 model is quite different to the previous models and the CX-3 that use a levelling switch attached to the suspension trailing arm. This new model has a levelling module (vertical axis sensor) under the dash and out of environmental harm.

Its pdf time.......

Interesting, yea I do see them do their thing at start up but not while driving. Thanks for the info :D

Interesting, yea I do see them do their thing at start up but not while driving. Thanks for the info :D

When you say you can't see them moving, that might mean they are working so as you accelerate and brake, they stay dead stable and don't follow the car, that's the auto levelling. If you mean auto dipping, that's slightly different. You need the headlights in the auto position and the switch forward in the main beam position for that to work.

When you say you can't see them moving, that might mean they are working so as you accelerate and brake, they stay dead stable and don't follow the car, that's the auto levelling. If you mean auto dipping, that's slightly different. You need the headlights in the auto position and the switch forward in the main beam position for that to work.

The pdf file you provide described what I was talking about. It's just different than on my mazda3. Auto dipping, is that the auto high beam you're talking about? I don't use that feature on this car haha

Get a someone to start your car while you are standing off to the side then get them to drive slowly with directional changes so you can see it work.

Best to do this in a public car park at night where you have lots of room

Get a someone to start your car while you are standing off to the side then get them to drive slowly with directional changes so you can see it work.

Best to do this in a public car park at night where you have lots of room

That's more of the adaptive headlights you're talking about right? The one that turns when you turn your wheel? That one works fine, I can see it. It's just the one that auto levels, where if you have passengers in the back seat the headlights will dip down a bit so it will not blind oncoming traffic.

That's the thing with the new model. If you were to point the headlights at a target and keep loading bags of sand in the back, the headlights will not move off the target as the back dips down. That module by the drivers knee in the PDF has a pendulum that always points down and progressively dips the lights as the back goes down.

Ah ok I think I understand what y'all saying now. I was just used to seeing it adjust after a few seconds after load on or off lol basically this one is constantly working behind the scenes.

Ah ok I think I understand what y'all saying now. I was just used to seeing it adjust after a few seconds after load on or off lol basically this one is constantly working behind the scenes.
Much newer and quicker tech. Therefore it's harder to see now but it is working

Anybody here knows how to manually adjust it? Stock settings is high for me. I need to lower it a bit. Dealer pointed the screw and told me how but it didn't work.

Yeah but I couldn't locate the screw for the "upward downward" adjust.

View from afar:
4fc210fc0fac825a6bbd47223e95e918.jpg

This is where the dealer told me to adjust but didn't work:
2bd92c190f8224cea043b0663b985aa1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah but I couldn't locate the screw for the "upward downward" adjust.

View from afar:
4fc210fc0fac825a6bbd47223e95e918.jpg

This is where the dealer told me to adjust but didn't work:
2bd92c190f8224cea043b0663b985aa1.jpg
Then take it back to them and get them to adjust it for you would you sitting in the car

That's where you adjust the lights. Use a philips screw driver and turn. I forgot which way but it'll move it. Gotta park the car far enough from wall to actually see it move and it moves very very little per click.

That's where you adjust the lights. Use a philips screw driver and turn. I forgot which way but it'll move it. Gotta park the car far enough from wall to actually see it move and it moves very very little per click.
Ah. So perhaps I didn't see it move because:
1. Headlight was only 2-3 feet from wall.
2. 2 turns didn't make any difference because it moves very little per click.

Thanks will try that and will keep you posted.

Back