I am seeing BIG discounts on the Mazda6, but without next years in the showroom?

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I was checking out the SALES at the Mazda dealer... all new 2017 Mazda6 in stock at $6500 OFF ! (eek2)

What is interesting to me is that this is the first time I can ever recall seeing such a big discount, without having the next years (ie 2018) model also available...

Unfortunately no one is buying these cars. Theyre trying to get rid of them

Seriously, compared to the CX5, the Mazda6 is over-priced.
I have both.

So? Not everyone wants a boaty lumbering crossover. I dont see what makes the slower, heavier, less efficient, less fun to drive CX-5 better value over the smaller and sleeker sedan?

The sedan has plenty space for the average person and all their needs, so unless you specifically need the extra space, what makes the CX-5 a better value proposition?

I don't get it either. I get compliments on my 6 very often. When I tell them how much I paid they are amazed at the price for what you get.

I don't get it either. I get compliments on my 6 very often. When I tell them how much I paid they are amazed at the price for what you get.

Dont get me wrong the new CX-5 is a great looking car, but it disappoints me how crossover sales are eating into the sales of sedans which are far more functional and enjoyable to drive for the spirited driver.

Unless were talking the 2017 model, I doubt your ever gonna be hearing someone compliment a crossover the same way people talk about your 6 sedan. Im extremely disappointed to see Mazda still putting plenty of effort into the sedan so they can sit back and watch as its one of the poorest sellers on the whole market being dominated even by a piece of s*** Chevrolet Malibu.

Ive driven the Mazda 6 and all of its competitors before settling, and its the best car out of them all by a long shot.

Save the sedan market before its dead people!

Agreed. The 6 is smoother, faster, gets better mileage, is better looking, has more features for less money, but it's not in the shape of an Air Jordan, so no sale.

Agreed. The 6 is smoother, faster, gets better mileage, is better looking, has more features for less money, but it's not in the shape of an Air Jordan, so no sale.

I like being low to the ground. The car rides great, feels more planted, stops corners and accelerates like a champ.

The CX-5s NA 2.5 is fine for the average CUV driver, but its merely sufficient in the smaller and lighter sedan which leaves the CX-5 practically begging for a turbo.

I was checking out the SALES at the Mazda dealer... all new 2017 Mazda6 in stock at $6500 OFF ! (eek2)

What is interesting to me is that this is the first time I can ever recall seeing such a big discount, without having the next years (ie 2018) model also available...

I got a similar discount 3 months ago, though it was rare at the time. But it's still rare - in my region all the dealers are still at around $4,000 total discount on the 6. I've seen leftover Camry's and Altimas at far higher discounts than that. I think the reason the 6 still doesn't have to be highly discounted is because they're not being replenished on dealer lots. The inventory at the dealer I bought mine from has been steadily declining and now they only have 5. Other dealers have similarly low inventory, one even had only 1 on the lot.

Dont get me wrong the new CX-5 is a great looking car, but it disappoints me how crossover sales are eating into the sales of sedans which are far more functional and enjoyable to drive for the spirited driver.

I prefer sedans too but it's too much of a stretch to say they're "far more functional." I can't fit my bike in the trunk of the 6, but I could in the CX-5 with the 2nd row folded.

Here in Central Canada, I don't see any effort on Mazda's part to promote or advertise the 6, in any way shape or form.
Mazda has a good presence on TV here, with just as many ads on the air as any other car maker.
However, there is not once glimpse or mention of the 6 on any of them. They are all ads for the CX-3, 5 or 9. Especially the CX-9.
If you weren't aware that Mazda makes a mid size sedan, then you'll never find out through any of their advertising or promotions.
It's almost like they want it to die, and that they'd rather just sell SUV's.
I don't get it either, especially given that the 6 gets great reviews by car journalists and enthusiasts.
It's completely off the radar.

Speaking of off the radar, I was looking at the 2018 Camry today, plus I've always had an interest in the Avalon.
Toyota seems to be taking the same approach with the Avalon. It's a great car, and yet you'd think Toyota was trying to bury it.
My local dealership has one in stock. That's it. And when I mentioned the Avalon to the floor rep., he looked at me like I was nuts.
Why does Toyota even bother making it?

Here in Central Canada, I don't see any effort on Mazda's part to promote or advertise the 6, in any way shape or form.
Mazda has a good presence on TV here, with just as many ads on the air as any other car maker.
However, there is not once glimpse or mention of the 6 on any of them. They are all ads for the CX-3, 5 or 9. Especially the CX-9.
If you weren't aware that Mazda makes a mid size sedan, then you'll never find out through any of their advertising or promotions.
It's almost like they want it to die, and that they'd rather just sell SUV's.
I don't get it either, especially given that the 6 gets great reviews by car journalists and enthusiasts.
It's completely off the radar.

Speaking of off the radar, I was looking at the 2018 Camry today, plus I've always had an interest in the Avalon.
Toyota seems to be taking the same approach with the Avalon. It's a great car, and yet you'd think Toyota was trying to bury it.
My local dealership has one in stock. That's it. And when I mentioned the Avalon to the floor rep., he looked at me like I was nuts.
Why does Toyota even bother making it?

They would much rather spend money on precious air-time to actually advertise things that sell these days. Yes there should be some ads on the 6 sedan, But the sedan market is dying right now as we all know. Unfortunately in the sedan market, once the big Japanese brands develop some sort of brand awareness amongst all the mainstream buyers, mazda is going to be off the radar.

I honestly dont understand why anyone would want a slower, less involving to drive CVT, more bland styling and a weaker engine in all these mainstream cars like the accord Camry and Altima.

I prefer sedans too but it's too much of a stretch to say they're "far more functional." I can't fit my bike in the trunk of the 6, but I could in the CX-5 with the 2nd row folded.

Of course, obviously a crossover is more useful for that, but in my quote I meant functional to the sprited driver for obvious reasons. We have a big family and never had an issue with space. 3 people fit in the back seat no problem. The trunk has a very fair amount of space.

I honestly don’t understand why anyone would want a slower, less involving to drive CVT, more bland styling and a weaker engine in all these mainstream cars like the accord Camry and Altima.

I totally agree. I have a 2006 Altima, the last year before the CVT cars came out. It's only a four speed transmission, but it's still more engaging than a CVT......and it still works.
The current Altima has been around since 2013, with a 4 banger that's been around since about 2002. Why would anybody buy one of these turkey's?

The local Mazda dealerships (I'm in Ontario, Canada) are currently offering $3,000 off the Mazda 6.
I'm pretty sure you could get that number up to $5K without much effort.
My nearest dealership still shows about 5-6 brand new 2016 models of the 6 in their inventory. Can't give them away it seems.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Just bought my first mazda, a 2017 6 GT Machine Grey about two weeks ago. We were down in Florida on vacation and the dealership was trying to sell me on the lot but I was unimpressed with the color. It was silver (slightly bluish). I called my local dealer, sent them a copy of the offer the dealership gave me and asked if they could beat it with the color I wanted. Thus to say my local dealer came through getting me the vehicle for 26k before my down payment. Driving it maybe twice a week but loving it thus far

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Just bought my first mazda, a 2017 6 GT Machine Grey about two weeks ago. We were down in Florida on vacation and the dealership was trying to sell me on the lot but I was unimpressed with the color. It was silver (slightly bluish). I called my local dealer, sent them a copy of the offer the dealership gave me and asked if they could beat it with the color I wanted. Thus to say my local dealer came through getting me the vehicle for 26k before my down payment. Driving it maybe twice a week but loving it thus far

Only twice a week? Well youll never get bored by that point!

The Beauty of the chassis and drivetrain tuning is to keep the engine between 3-4000rpm. This is where the transmission tuning really shines delivering precise well geared shifts and the downshifts are beautifully rev matched.

my favourite part about this chassis is its enthusiastic approach to tackling corners but cruising on the highway the car is well damped and very stable the chassis seamlessly adapts to driver inputs. Its very responsive and well damped even during low speed corners, yet is perfectly stable at 100MPH. If you turn into a corner fluidly but quickly while on throttle revving to roughly 3000rpm, youll see what I mean, the whole vehicle is brilliantly tuned in unison to provide an adaptable driving experience regardless of whats on the road. The engine is rev happy, responsive and makes a great sound when youre on the throttle.

Enjoy your Mazda!

The local Mazda dealerships (I'm in Ontario, Canada) are currently offering $3,000 off the Mazda 6.
I'm pretty sure you could get that number up to $5K without much effort.
My nearest dealership still shows about 5-6 brand new 2016 models of the 6 in their inventory. Can't give them away it seems.

Follow up to yesterdays post.
I went to the dealership today and test drove the 6, as well as a CX-5.
First thing I learned is that their online inventory numbers are completely wrong.
They have about 4 Mazda6's in stock, all 2017's. No explanation from the salesrep about the mis-information.

I have to say I was very impressed with the test drive. I was pleasantly surprised with just about everything.
The car was well planted, and was very tight and responsive.
I don't know why there are complaints about lack of power, as I found the power and response to be more than adequate.
I took a long drive, and simulated most driving conditions, including hoofing it when cruising at about 90Kms/hr (about 55mph). It took off without any hesitation.
There was more than enough power for my needs.
The steering, brakes etc also felt very solid and responsive. I really liked this car.
The seats were comfortable, and I had plenty of head and leg room (I'm 6-3).
There is also oodles of trunk space, and with the back seats down, it's even better.

As for the CX-5, it felt a bit slower. I'm assuming it's due to the extra weight.
After driving the 6, I wanted the same response, but didn't get it.
It's still a pretty nice vehicle to drive though.

Now, as far as price, we only got into the preliminaries, but the discount went from $3K to $4K without me asking.
I'm pretty sure I can get more without too much trouble, even if it's free stuff, like floor mats, etc.

I'll keep you posted if I pull the trigger.

I think people get into one of these, feel how nice it is inside and subconsciously begin to mentally compare it to cars that are much more expensive. Yeah it's a little low on power compared to a new BMW or Acura. But compare the 6 apples to apples and it's pretty quick.

Drive an Accord or Taurus then a 6 and they're really close, but the 6 inside with all its amenities...it almost seems TOO nice for the money. Compare it to a $50,000 dollar Hyundai Genesis and I guarantee you'll feel like you made the right choice.

Follow up to yesterdays post.
I went to the dealership today and test drove the 6, as well as a CX-5.
First thing I learned is that their online inventory numbers are completely wrong.
They have about 4 Mazda6's in stock, all 2017's. No explanation from the salesrep about the mis-information.

I have to say I was very impressed with the test drive. I was pleasantly surprised with just about everything.
The car was well planted, and was very tight and responsive.
I don't know why there are complaints about lack of power, as I found the power and response to be more than adequate.
I took a long drive, and simulated most driving conditions, including hoofing it when cruising at about 90Kms/hr (about 55mph). It took off without any hesitation.
There was more than enough power for my needs.
The steering, brakes etc also felt very solid and responsive. I really liked this car.
The seats were comfortable, and I had plenty of head and leg room (I'm 6-3).
There is also oodles of trunk space, and with the back seats down, it's even better.

As for the CX-5, it felt a bit slower. I'm assuming it's due to the extra weight.
After driving the 6, I wanted the same response, but didn't get it.
It's still a pretty nice vehicle to drive though.

Now, as far as price, we only got into the preliminaries, but the discount went from $3K to $4K without me asking.
I'm pretty sure I can get more without too much trouble, even if it's free stuff, like floor mats, etc.

I'll keep you posted if I pull the trigger.

strongly agree, in the 6 sedan the power output is perfectly fine. everyone bleats about the engine not making enough power, but 185ft/lb at 3250rpm and a peppy drivetrain makes it perfectly sufficient in the smaller vehicles.

the CX-5 on the other hand could use a turbo so Mazda can continue pushing into luxury sales.

I think people get into one of these, feel how nice it is inside and subconsciously begin to mentally compare it to cars that are much more expensive. Yeah it's a little low on power compared to a new BMW or Acura. But compare the 6 apples to apples and it's pretty quick.

Drive an Accord or Taurus then a 6 and they're really close, but the 6 inside with all its amenities...it almost seems TOO nice for the money. Compare it to a $50,000 dollar Hyundai Genesis and I guarantee you'll feel like you made the right choice.

strongly agree, in the 6 sedan the power output is perfectly fine. everyone bleats about the engine not making enough power, but 185ft/lb at 3250rpm and a peppy drivetrain makes it perfectly sufficient in the smaller vehicles.

the CX-5 on the other hand could use a turbo so Mazda can continue pushing into luxury sales.

I know my opinion is only based on test drives, but the 6 just felt more alive than the CX-5.
It felt like the 5 was sprung and programmed softer, to appeal more to the soccer mom crowd.
It's a nice vehicle, don't get me wrong, but the 6 just felt more exciting and engaging.

Back