Brake Upgrade

Well look, all these car manufacturers doing millions of dollars worth of development work have arrived at a point where these cars meet all the legislation on braking, are easy to assemble and dont raise any warranty issues. They use normal cast iron discs, they choose an appropriate pad and work with a system supplier for the hydraulics and calipers. The best thing anybody can do in my opinion is to follow what they did to arrive at this specification. That means that if you need to renew any parts, use a decent aftermarket cast iron disc, one of the branded pads (buy Mazda if in doubt) and follow the guidelines for fitting the parts. Do not use copper based grease - normal high melting point bearing grease is much better.

To answer some of these individual questions.........

Can you use Textar pads? Yes, they are first rate pads and having the German trait of being fairly abrasive will keep the discs in good condition and although you can expect some disc wear, they actually machine the disc true and minimise brake judder.

murky - yes it holds true. If you are fitting new pads to old discs, they need to be inside the limit for thickness and flat enough that the pads make good contact. If they arent, I personally would just stick some new discs on. They are quite cheap and very easy to fit on a modern car. New pads will bed quickly to new discs and meet performance standards straight out of the box. Using old discs will still meet the standards unless they discs are very poor but then other aspects change. Keep in mind that friction is independent of area so if you were to cut a pad down to one tenth of its cross sectional area it will still stop the car in exactly the same way. What it will do is to get very hot very quickly and that effects the rate of wear. The same applies to badly worn or scored discs. If the pad only contacts high spots, it will still stop for a short while but then the contact areas will carbonise and performance will drop off. You guys seem to favour skimming (machining) discs. I question the value of it but as long as it is done right, OK. Like I said, if mine are worn I just put new ones on.

Another consideration is this rate of wear v temperature thing. There is a non linear relationship between temperature and wear. I cant think in degrees F but normal everyday driving will generate about 150-250 deg C. At those temps, you will get very good pad and disc wear - maybe 50000 in a hypothetical situation. If you drive the car hard, live in a very hilly area or carry a heavy load, you will push those temps to double the normal but wear increases exponentially. That might mean only 10000 miles pad life. If you drive like miss daisy, and halve normal temps you could push life out of the roof and get astronomic life but that gives other problems like judder (due to debris not being burned off the disc), poor performance (as the pad doesnt get conditioned and clean off wear debris) and also you tend to get the guide pins seizing up and the pads sicking in the calliper which compounds the situation. The brake is like a garden gate - use it and it will work fine but only go through once in a blue moon and it will start to stiffen up! In summary, the brakes work best when they see temperature and occasional temperature spikes to burn a bit of rubbish off. Vehicle manufacturers do not concern themselves over pad and disc life as long as it is reasonable". However, the demands on performance keep increasing and legislation forces narrower goalposts. They will test the brakes to destruction and they must remain consistent. Modern disc brakes are capable of some astonishing performance without resorting to a racing specification. You can fully load a modern car, put it on a track and knock hell out of the brakes. Because unlike drum brakes, they have a linear output (no self servo action), you can get them up to ridiculous temperatures where they disc and pad is bright yellow. The rubber parts will catch fire and drop off but the car will still stop. That applies to a BMW 7 Series, a Merc SLK and a Mazda CX-5. You would be amazed at what it will do if you subject it to abuse.

So then on to this brake judder discussion. You have to think like a vehicle manufacturer. They want the brakes to work well and they do not want warranty issues that cancel out profit at the drop of a hat. Modern brakes are quite simple. The disc has evolved into something quite reliable and it doesnt need much special treatment. Unobtanium is passionate about wheel not torque and within reason that holds true but look at a modern hub, a modern disc and a modern wheel and they are all designed to be thoroughly compatible. If they are all clean, they will all clamp up snug with absolutely no cause for judder. I personally doubt that reasonable variation ( a mechanic using a wheel brace) would be an issue although air guns are the work of the devil as far as brake engineers are concerned. I use a Milwaukee 18V gun to take nuts off but I only run nuts back on until the very first click of resistance. The rest is done by hand with a torque wrench. However, the type of judder some people are talking about is not from day one due to badly installed discs, it is after a period of duty where the judder starts to develop and particularly under pressure or speed. This is the kind of judder that needs to have the disc machined or renewed. Why does it happen on a CX-5 and not a BMW? I said about half a mile further up the thread, that disc run out is very rare. Run out means that the disc is warped but both sides are warped equally and the disc sways side to side like a pringle with any number of phases. What is not unusual is DTV (disc thickness variation). This is where both sides of the disc are untrue but out of phase. It is almost certainly caused by a phenomena call depositing. This is where some friction material gets left on the disc due to low temperature (not burning it off) or low pad wear (not abrasive enough). A BMW has very aggressive German friction material that is not only high in friction but abrasive enough to self true the disc. The Germans dont give two hoots about wear debris blacking the wheel. The car may also be driven harder that the average SUV. I never have problems with my CX-5 but I do push the brakes. In another situation, the brakes might not see much duty, not much resultant temperature and not generate enough wear to keep the disc clean and true. The fix? Stick some aggressive pads in (we have loads of choice here but Im not familiar with your brands), get the duty up and work the brakes a bit harder or just put up with it and sort the discs out every now and then. Just to close, be wary of brand names. A lot of these brands are only packaging names and often do not make or develop pads. TRW do not make friction material, they buy it in. I wouldnt pay extra for things like slotted or drilled discs or ceramic pads. Id rather at least follow convention with cast iron discs and regular steel based pads.

Does that answer some questions?

Last edited:
Well look, all these car manufacturers doing millions of dollars worth of development work have arrived at a point where these cars meet all the legislation on braking, are easy to assemble and dont raise any warranty issues. They use normal cast iron discs, they choose an appropriate pad and work with a system supplier for the hydraulics and calipers. The best thing anybody can do in my opinion is to follow what they did to arrive at this specification. That means that if you need to renew any parts, use a decent aftermarket cast iron disc, one of the branded pads (buy Mazda if in doubt) and follow the guidelines for fitting the parts. Do not use copper based grease - normal high melting point bearing grease is much better.

To answer some of these individual questions.........

Can you use Textar pads? Yes, they are first rate pads and having the German trait of being fairly abrasive will keep the discs in good condition and although you can expect some disc wear, they actually machine the disc true and minimise brake judder.

murky - yes it holds true. If you are fitting new pads to old discs, they need to be inside the limit for thickness and flat enough that the pads make good contact. If they arent, I personally would just stick some new discs on. They are quite cheap and very easy to fit on a modern car. New pads will bed quickly to new discs and meet performance standards straight out of the box. Using old discs will still meet the standards unless they discs are very poor but then other aspects change. Keep in mind that friction is independent of area so if you were to cut a pad down to one tenth of its cross sectional area it will still stop the car in exactly the same way. What it will do is to get very hot very quickly and that effects the rate of wear. The same applies to badly worn or scored discs. If the pad only contacts high spots, it will still stop for a short while but then the contact areas will carbonise and performance will drop off. You guys seem to favour skimming (machining) discs. I question the value of it but as long as it is done right, OK. Like I said, if mine are worn I just put new ones on.

Another consideration is this rate of wear v temperature thing. There is a non linear relationship between temperature and wear. I cant think in degrees F but normal everyday driving will generate about 150-250 deg C. At those temps, you will get very good pad and disc wear - maybe 50000 in a hypothetical situation. If you drive the car hard, live in a very hilly area or carry a heavy load, you will push those temps to double the normal but wear increases exponentially. That might mean only 10000 miles pad life. If you drive like miss daisy, and halve normal temps you could push life out of the roof and get astronomic life but that gives other problems like judder (due to debris not being burned off the disc), poor performance (as the pad doesnt get conditioned and clean off wear debris) and also you tend to get the guide pins seizing up and the pads sicking in the calliper which compounds the situation. The brake is like a garden gate - use it and it will work fine but only go through once in a blue moon and it will start to stiffen up! In summary, the brakes work best when they see temperature and occasional temperature spikes to burn a bit of rubbish off. Vehicle manufacturers do not concern themselves over pad and disc life as long as it is reasonable". However, the demands on performance keep increasing and legislation forces narrower goalposts. They will test the brakes to destruction and they must remain consistent. Modern disc brakes are capable of some astonishing performance without resorting to a racing specification. You can fully load a modern car, put it on a track and knock hell out of the brakes. Because unlike drum brakes, they have a linear output (no self servo action), you can get them up to ridiculous temperatures where they disc and pad is bright yellow. The rubber parts will catch fire and drop off but the car will still stop. That applies to a BMW 7 Series, a Merc SLK and a Mazda CX-5. You would be amazed at what it will do if you subject it to abuse.

So then on to this brake judder discussion. You have to think like a vehicle manufacturer. They want the brakes to work well and they do not want warranty issues that cancel out profit at the drop of a hat. Modern brakes are quite simple. The disc has evolved into something quite reliable and it doesnt need much special treatment. Unobtanium is passionate about wheel not torque and within reason that holds true but look at a modern hub, a modern disc and a modern wheel and they are all designed to be thoroughly compatible. If they are all clean, they will all clamp up snug with absolutely no cause for judder. I personally doubt that reasonable variation ( a mechanic using a wheel brace) would be an issue although air guns are the work of the devil as far as brake engineers are concerned. I use a Milwaukee 18V gun to take nuts off but I only run nuts back on until the very first click of resistance. The rest is done by hand with a torque wrench. However, the type of judder some people are talking about is not from day one due to badly installed discs, it is after a period of duty where the judder starts to develop and particularly under pressure or speed. This is the kind of judder that needs to have the disc machined or renewed. Why does it happen on a CX-5 and not a BMW? I said about half a mile further up the thread, that disc run out is very rare. Run out means that the disc is warped but both sides are warped equally and the disc sways side to side like a pringle with any number of phases. What is not unusual is DTV (disc thickness variation). This is where both sides of the disc are untrue but out of phase. It is almost certainly caused by a phenomena call depositing. This is where some friction material gets left on the disc due to low temperature (not burning it off) or low pad wear (not abrasive enough). A BMW has very aggressive German friction material that is not only high in friction but abrasive enough to self true the disc. The Germans dont give two hoots about wear debris blacking the wheel. The car may also be driven harder that the average SUV. I never have problems with my CX-5 but I do push the brakes. In another situation, the brakes might not see much duty, not much resultant temperature and not generate enough wear to keep the disc clean and true. The fix? Stick some aggressive pads in (we have loads of choice here but Im not familiar with your brands), get the duty up and work the brakes a bit harder or just put up with it and sort the discs out every now and then. Just to close, be wary of brand names. A lot of these brands are only packaging names and often do not make or develop pads. TRW do not make friction material, they buy it in. I wouldnt pay extra for things like slotted or drilled discs or ceramic pads. Id rather at least follow convention with cast iron discs and regular steel based pads.

Does that answer some questions?

Yes, it is from day 1 in some cases. Literally as soon as the rotor is warm it begins. I has the brakes on my 370z replaced and resurfaced multiple times. Know when it began? New tires is when. Not the thousands of miles before...know when it stopped? When they were torqued properly. Know when it reappeared? Never since I owned it, which was another 10k miles.

It wasn't somehow magical brake deposits that happened only after tire installs.

If your brakes won't repeatedly haul your vehicle down from 70 without judder, they are crap. Period. Brake fade doesn't even happen hardly anymore, especially on a vehicle as slow as a cx5 that takes 10ish seconds to hit 70. You should be able to do it all day, figuratively. If this wasn't the case, the cars I've tracked half the morning would be absolutely uncontrollable due to steering wheel shake. My 370z almost was, until they stopped using the damn air tools, as you noted.

Last edited:
Every time I hit the brakes the front end would pulsate terribly. The harder I hit them the worse the vibration. I am beginning to think the dealer monkeys are over torquing the wheels? I backed off the bolts and torqued them this time so I will see if this changes anything.

I'm curious as well. I knkw the rotors on my 370z had insane runout. They wormed around on the machine many thousands, per the guy who turned them every time until we put new ones on, and those were warped that day, and then new new ones, lol, it was a mess.

My g20 that I put new brakes on? I didn't touch the 100k plus mile old grooved up rotor. I bought new dot 4 fluid and ceramic pads by wagoner or someone, installed them in the drive, bled the 4 channel, and drove it through the mountains like a bat out of hell until the pads had grooves and ridges to match the rotors. Totally ghetto, but she was stopping fine with zero judder 30k miles later when I sold her.

Yes, it is from day 1 in some cases. Literally as soon as the rotor is warm it begins. I has the brakes on my 370z replaced and resurfaced multiple times. Know when it began? New tires is when. Not the thousands of miles before...know when it stopped? When they were torqued properly. Know when it reappeared? Never since I owned it, which was another 10k miles.

It wasn't somehow magical brake deposits that happened only after tire installs.

If your brakes won't repeatedly haul your vehicle down from 70 without judder, they are crap. Period. Brake fade doesn't even happen hardly anymore, especially on a vehicle as slow as a cx5 that takes 10ish seconds to hit 70. You should be able to do it all day, figuratively. If this wasn't the case, the cars I've tracked half the morning would be absolutely uncontrollable due to steering wheel shake. My 370z almost was, until they stopped using the damn air tools, as you noted.

There's no need to be quite so hostile. I've already said that brake design has improved. I'd have to look at rhe set up on an aging Nissan to see what the mechanism was for the judder you describe but you also introduced another variable by saying the wheels were removed for tires regardless of the nut torque. If you knew they were susceptible, why didn't you watch them? As for repeated 70 to 0 stops, who says a CX-5 won't do it? How hot the brakes get depends on the energy dissipated during the stop and it doesn't take stops with intervals of less than 10 seconds to raise the temperature, you can do it with a loaded truck. I don't really care if you don't accept what I say, that's your prerogative but you aren't an expert because you've experienced brake judder on a vehicle then fixed it one way or another.

I'm curious as well. I knkw the rotors on my 370z had insane runout. They wormed around on the machine many thousands, per the guy who turned them every time until we put new ones on, and those were warped that day, and then new new ones, lol, it was a mess.

My g20 that I put new brakes on? I didn't touch the 100k plus mile old grooved up rotor. I bought new dot 4 fluid and ceramic pads by wagoner or someone, installed them in the drive, bled the 4 channel, and drove it through the mountains like a bat out of hell until the pads had grooves and ridges to match the rotors. Totally ghetto, but she was stopping fine with zero judder 30k miles later when I sold her.

I don't know what you mean by them "worming around on the machine many thousands". I seem to remember that 370Zs had quite large diameter discs which might have some bearing on brake judder and again, I'd need to see the installation to know why it should be more prone to problems by uneven wheel not torque. It does not mean that all cars are. Moving on to your account of ceramic pads. These pads work in the same way as a pad with a steel fibre base but they have a proportion of ceramic based fibre inclusion. They are not 100% ceramic or they would be hundreds of dollars a set like true racing pads. They have the same friction modifiers and the same resin system as a bog standard pad so in essence, there isn't a lot of difference but they do get baked longer than a standard pad and that ceramic inclusion does resist them crumbling round the edges at high temperature. The more you bake them (which is very expensive in terms of production cost), the higher the resistance to falling apart but the hotter you need to get them before they work. The higher you progress up the scale, the closer you become to racing pads that have to be warmed before a race. What I was eluding to when I said I wouldn't bother with them was that for most people's CX-5, they don't justify the extra expense. My mate has just restored a BMW 325 and to complete the look, he has installed competition calipers and pads. His problem is that now when he's out posing with one arm out of the window, he can't stop the thing because the pads are fast asleep. He's obviously not capable of showing Lewis Hamilton a thing or two in the mountains like you are and I'm not entirely familiar with the term ghetto when applied to driving but if you are happy with your brakes, I'm happy for you.

I don't know what you mean by them "worming around on the machine many thousands". I seem to remember that 370Zs had quite large diameter discs which might have some bearing on brake judder and again, I'd need to see the installation to know why it should be more prone to problems by uneven wheel not torque. It does not mean that all cars are. Moving on to your account of ceramic pads. These pads work in the same way as a pad with a steel fibre base but they have a proportion of ceramic based fibre inclusion. They are not 100% ceramic or they would be hundreds of dollars a set like true racing pads. They have the same friction modifiers and the same resin system as a bog standard pad so in essence, there isn't a lot of difference but they do get baked longer than a standard pad and that ceramic inclusion does resist them crumbling round the edges at high temperature. The more you bake them (which is very expensive in terms of production cost), the higher the resistance to falling apart but the hotter you need to get them before they work. The higher you progress up the scale, the closer you become to racing pads that have to be warmed before a race. What I was eluding to when I said I wouldn't bother with them was that for most people's CX-5, they don't justify the extra expense. My mate has just restored a BMW 325 and to complete the look, he has installed competition calipers and pads. His problem is that now when he's out posing with one arm out of the window, he can't stop the thing because the pads are fast asleep. He's obviously not capable of showing Lewis Hamilton a thing or two in the mountains like you are and I'm not entirely familiar with the term ghetto when applied to driving but if you are happy with your brakes, I'm happy for you.

I mean the rotors were obviously very far from "true" when they turned them. They had to take a LOT off. Looked like a warped Vinyl on a deck.

I am quoting what the GT-R tech told me, after they kept my car for nearly a week and constantly went back and forth with Nissan North America over it on.

2-3 slow-downs from 70ish mph to 30ish mph in a row will get my CX5 front end shaking badly. That is unsat. (the first slow-down is glass smooth).

I wish you lived in NA. I'd just mail you my damn rotors when I change brakes. Then you could tell the forum if you found "varying thickness via deposits" or if it was warped as hell, or not warped, or what.

Last edited:
I mean the rotors were obviously very far from "true" when they turned them. They had to take a LOT off. Looked like a warped Vinyl on a deck.

I am quoting what the GT-R tech told me, after they kept my car for nearly a week and constantly went back and forth with Nissan North America over it on.

2-3 slow-downs from 70ish mph to 30ish mph in a row will get my CX5 front end shaking badly. That is unsat. (the first slow-down is glass smooth).

I wish you lived in NA. I'd just mail you my damn rotors when I change brakes. Then you could tell the forum if you found "varying thickness via deposits" or if it was warped as hell, or not warped, or what.

Theres that hostile thing again.

Theres that hostile thing again.

What, because I want to send the thing to you so you can analyze it in person? Why mess around online when you can have it in your hands to analyze in a setting that you can actually define any physical anomaly in?

What, because I want to send the thing to you so you can analyze it in person? Why mess around online when you can have it in your hands to analyze in a setting that you can actually define any physical anomaly in?

Sending me discs in isolation wouldn’t help to be honest. I don’t have the facilities that I had when I worked for Ferodo where they could accurately measure anything brake related. It might have been apparent if I’d seen the car or the parts you had fitted to it. The main question is the Cx-5 which you seem to struggle with but it isn’t widespread for the other members of this forum. Words like “damn” and “hell” change the tone of your post quite a lot. It doesn’t offend me, it just gives off signals. You know that in reality, sending me parts to look at isn’t an option anyway.

Hmm I almost think that the issues Unob has with brakes is related to his driving and very short commute. My understanding is he drives aggressively to work that is 2 miles away (before he moved to his new home). That means, spirited acceleration then aggressive braking. Maybe he keeps his foot on the brakes while waiting at the light? If I'm not mistaken, this could cause issues with deposits especially after a hard stop when the brakes are really hot. Just a guess. After a hard stop, I usually try to avoid keeping my foot on the brakes while waiting.

Hmm I almost think that the issues Unob has with brakes is related to his driving and very short commute. My understanding is he drives aggressively to work that is 2 miles away (before he moved to his new home). That means, spirited acceleration then aggressive braking. Maybe he keeps his foot on the brakes while waiting at the light? If I'm not mistaken, this could cause issues with deposits especially after a hard stop when the brakes are really hot. Just a guess. After a hard stop, I usually try to avoid keeping my foot on the brakes while waiting.
You shouldn't be able to warp discs by heavy braking if the disc is well designed. It is possible to crack them by thermal shock but even that is just about a thing of the past. They have got discs dissipating heat very evenly and after the heat has soaked into the parent metal after the first stop, you are pretty well out of risk. It is true that the pads can cause localised cooling but they also do it in the off brake condition because the air gap is virtually non existent. It also leads to a secondary problem because if the pad transfers too much heat the bond to the metal back plate can fail. For this reason, good oe pads have a thermal layer right near the back plate which pushes the heat back. Cheap aftermarket pads do not. They used to have problems with brake fluid boiling but these days the fluid is right at the back of a hollow piston well away from the pads.

A hard stop from 30mph? Doubtful. Nissan NA actually had me data logged. They said I was absurdly light on the brakes and removed all blame from me. They ultimately had a conference that discussed the issue in Houston, I believe, and changed policy because of it for the gtr maintenance schedules. Hand torque only. The issue was clearly resolved by it. This is per the gtr tech that handled my case.

Sending me discs in isolation wouldnt help to be honest. I dont have the facilities that I had when I worked for Ferodo where they could accurately measure anything brake related. It might have been apparent if Id seen the car or the parts you had fitted to it. The main question is the Cx-5 which you seem to struggle with but it isnt widespread for the other members of this forum. Words like damn and hell change the tone of your post quite a lot. It doesnt offend me, it just gives off signals. You know that in reality, sending me parts to look at isnt an option anyway.

I was under the impression that you still had facilities at your disposal. If it fits, it ships...international flatrate. Moot point though. Profanity is just another paintbrush in my verbal art kit. Don't take it personally.

A hard stop from 30mph? Doubtful. Nissan NA actually had me data logged. They said I was absurdly light on the brakes and removed all blame from me. They ultimately had a conference that discussed the issue in Houston, I believe, and changed policy because of it for the gtr maintenance schedules. Hand torque only. The issue was clearly resolved by it. This is per the gtr tech that handled my case.
Ooops, I was under the impression that you were going faster than 30 mph. Yeah in that case, hard stops from 30 mph probably don't do much to even stress the brakes on your car. Oh well, there goes my theory LOL.

Ooops, I was under the impression that you were going faster than 30 mph. Yeah in that case, hard stops from 30 mph probably don't do much to even stress the brakes on your car. Oh well, there goes my theory LOL.

When I attended spring mountain racing school, we were all offered a free corvette if we could break the brake pedal by actuation the brakes hard. Noone won a free car, and we all stood on the pedal. Noone ever had brake judder issues.

When I attended spring mountain racing school, we were all offered a free corvette if we could break the brake pedal by actuation the brakes hard. Noone won a free car, and we all stood on the pedal. Noone ever had brake judder issues.

Mazdas brake rotors are much more soft and weak in comparison to a corvette then.

Its either you dont do repeated hard stops during your commute (or at least dont touch the brake when youre stopped so the pad doesnt sear the rotor) or you just need to buy better performing rotors and call it a day.

I know that the Mazda rotors warp easily, but if you warped them that still means you did something overly aggressive to your brakes regardless.

Mazdas brake rotors are much more soft and weak in comparison to a corvette then.

Its either you dont do repeated hard stops during your commute (or at least dont touch the brake when youre stopped so the pad doesnt sear the rotor) or you just need to buy better performing rotors and call it a day.

I know that the Mazda rotors warp easily, but if you warped them that still means you did something overly aggressive to your brakes regardless.

You can get soft cast iron then?

Back