Brake Upgrade

How does snow were down rear brakes faster then the front?

Snowbelt areas that salt the roadways during the winter to be precise. The design/shape of the parking shoe hat thing traps salt which dries out the Caliper sliding pins and decreases braking performance on the rear axle. You need to keep the pins in the rear lubed yearly or salt will accumulate and accelerate wear.

This is something I read on a different forum. Guy said he would always have to lube the pins before moving to Florida and hasnt had to touch his rear brakes since.

I had a similar issue on my BMW, where the rear brakes werent performing that well and causing rust to buildup on the rotor. Nonetheless, I lubed the pins and it made a big difference with stopping power at higher speeds.

Wow very interesting... thank you.. lube the pins, is that a simple or difficult thing to do? A DIY thing?

Update.

Just peeked through my wheels with roughly 55k miles on the clock.

Front brakes look good, roughly 10-15k KM left on those.

Rear brakes will need to be replaced rather soon. I suspect this happens to owners in snowbelt areas.

It's actually a CX5 problem in some models.

Snowbelt areas that salt the roadways during the winter to be precise. The design/shape of the parking shoe hat thing traps salt which dries out the Caliper sliding pins and decreases braking performance on the rear axle. You need to keep the pins in the rear lubed yearly or salt will accumulate and accelerate wear.

This is something I read on a different forum. Guy said he would always have to lube the pins before moving to Florida and hasn’t had to touch his rear brakes since.

I had a similar issue on my BMW, where the rear brakes weren’t performing that well and causing rust to buildup on the rotor. Nonetheless, I lubed the pins and it made a big difference with stopping power at higher speeds.

The guide pins are fully enclosed and if the right grease is used, shouldn’t need doing every year even in a snowy environment. It doesn’t harm having said that. A more likely source of problem should be the ears of the pads which are exposed and even then, if greased properly, should do more than one winter.

It's actually a CX5 problem in some models.

That is true but it implies that only CX-5s suffer when in fact a number of brands have similar problems.

The guide pins are fully enclosed and if the right grease is used, shouldn’t need doing every year even in a snowy environment. It doesn’t harm having said that. A more likely source of problem should be the ears of the pads which are exposed and even then, if greased properly, should do more than one winter.

That is true but it implies that only CX-5s suffer when in fact a number of brands have similar problems.

I'm sure they do, but I've never owned any vehicles that wore the rear pads down first. Even my CX5 seems to be doing fine, really, except the warped (whatever you want to call it) rotors. 65k miles and plenty of pads left.

Wow very interesting... thank you.. lube the pins, is that a simple or difficult thing to do? A DIY thing?

No, its easy to do once you get the caliper off Im sure there are plenty of DIYs on YouTube for this. Just make sure to use a grease that is both silicone and copper free...

Correct, this is not an issue with just the CX-5 and after a couple years they will end up drying out. Based on what Ive found, it seems like you should lube all the sliding pins roughly every 60k Miles or even sooner, preferably when you are changing your brakes. On my 2011 BMW, at 60k Miles the rear calipers needed a full service and the pins were completely bone dry.

I'm sure they do, but I've never owned any vehicles that wore the rear pads down first. Even my CX5 seems to be doing fine, really, except the warped (whatever you want to call it) rotors. 65k miles and plenty of pads left.

You said you live in south-central US. Have you checked your rear pads?

Last edited:
Anchorman, other then lubing the sliding pins, what else would qualify as a full caliper service?

thank you

Anchorman, do the two tubes of brake grease in your picture contain the same substance.

If not that, what do you use to grease the pins?

Anchorman, do the two tubes of brake grease in your picture contain the same substance.

If not that, what do you use to grease the pins?

Yes, both those tubes contain Ceratec which is a high melting point grease similar to good quality bearing grease. There is a misconception that brake grease must stand astronomic temperature but in fact 500F (250C) is as high as it ever needs to be. With that in mind, a good quality high melting point bearing grease is suitable but the copper or aluminium based greases which have a clay base will not. By coincidence, I took a pad out of my 2017 today to check the friction material as promised and sure enough it was Ferodo

DC6_E5_B0_D-082_B-4_F88-8_B42-6691_C29_E87_BB.jpg

You can also see that at 4000 miles there is significant wear which doesn’t concern me in the least as I work them over the hills.

F6_A2_EB31-2859-4_C1_B-9872-6_ECADC3_E0_EED.jpg

OEM rear pads (electronic brake models) are pretty expensive. Might source local junk yards for them :) otherwise buy new ones :( in the future.

I used Dixcel Type X pads and HS rotors both front and rear in my CX5

It feel great and can stop the car on every situation but pad last only 30000 km and my front caliper usually stuck.

I change pad to type Z but when cold it's worse than X when drive normally

My front rotor slot now faded. It's around 36,000 km

OEM pad and rotor is good but when use in traffic, sometime I need to press pedal more than usual, I don't know what happen but with Dixcel it never happen

Back