Just a question

Senti_Mentel

:
Pure White Mp5
So I have searched the forum for an answer to this to no avail, and haven't heard mention of it on any other site either, but my p5's driver side mirror can't aim any farther back and only shows me my rear door.

I've pulled it apart to check the motor housing and that little threaded plastic insert and they are both fine and identical to the passenger side. I know I can get oem replacements for about 30 bucks and just paint them to match but I don't wanna do that if I'm gonna end up with the same thing.

Anybody else notice this about p5's or is it just me? And if anyone has and got it fixed let me know what you did?

Either way thanks in advance for reading and any help you can give.
Ty ty

If your mirror clipped on completely on both adjusters? Another mirror may fix the problem, the color matched cover pops off and can be swapped onto the new mirror. I have a white mirror cover but i'm not sure which side it is for if you end up needing one.

Okay, I'm pretty sure all the clips are seated but I'll check again in a bit. And I had no idea the covers pop off, that's really good to know, but both mirrors are OEM and visibly undamaged so I don't think I'll need another if it just pops off.

I take it your mirror adjusts fine?

Does the mirror let you manually push the glad out away from car clicking a couple of times? My truck mirrors do that where the motor adjustment starting point is farther out.

Yeah but even then it just aims at the rear door, I've gotta gangsta lean over the center console to see anything

Okay so i decided to take a photo from the perspective of the driver.
and here it is:

IMG_20170915_170044000_HDR (2).jpg

Also i checked the clips on the back and you can feel and hear the clips pop into place.

Maybe it's a RHD (Japan, Australia, etc) mirror?

Looking at that photo, is your mirror folded in a little bit?

Last edited:
no the mirrors on my car actually fold forward towards the hood, not in to the window, and when you fold them back into position they snap into a guide. But the rhd idea sounds reasonable enough, I'm fairly certain my car came from mexico due to the elongated license plate bolt pattern(had to cut and file new slots for inserts that fit american plates) so maybe, ill look into that. Would there be a way to tell by looking at a part number on my mirror? Any other Way?

Last edited:
The license plates in Mexico are the same size as what we have here, but the RHD mirror idea is actually a good one. The mirror should fold back towards the rear of the car, not forward. I think the easiest solution is to swap to another mirror, as that one is either broken or incorrect for the car.

My mirror folds both toward the front and rear of the car with detents/notches both ways but is quite snug between detents.

What about just pushing your mirror toward the front a bit as a coarse adjustment ???
Your motorized adjustments should still work for fine tuning.

Sounds as if your P5 is a USDM P5 repaired with JDM Familia parts after an accident(??)

I have the exact same problem dude. Kinda pisses me off but I haven't tried to fix it. I probably should knowing that I have a parts car sitting in the driveway with a good mirror. I don't even bother to check that mirror anymore. I just shoulder check.

So... Just for curiosities sake, I went out to my car and adjusted my drivers side mirror all the way in and I could see behind my just fine when I sat in the passenger seat and pretended I was British or an Aussie...

I even moved my seat forward pretending I'm short and I could still see behind me just fine.

So... My take on this is you can fix a European car with a USDM mirror but you can't fix a USDM car with a European mirror...
I'm feeling a bit cheated.

IMG_20170929_142138.jpg

Just an update, I took the mirror off my 2003 protege parts car and it works perfectly fine. My advice would be go to a wrecker and sit in the drivers seat of a car and make sure the mirrors line up. If they do line up, might as well get the mirror. They are super easy to switch out. Just 3 nuts and the you have to take the door panel off to unplug the electric adjust wiring.

Maybe they started actually putting the lhd mirrors on the cars in 2003 lol.

Back