Sidewall damage on OEM tire covered by warranty? Patchable?

Werechull

:
'09 Pontiac Vibe GT, '16 CX-5 GT Soul Red
Somehow my wife's 2016 GT CX-5 with 5500 miles on it got a big chunk taken out of the sidewall. It's deep enough I can see the belt a little. Any chance that would be covered by warranty? Can that be patched?

Tire warranty is provided by the tire manufacturer, not Mazda. Most Mazda dealerships can warranty a tire that originally came on a new Mazda, if the tire failed due to a tire manufacturer defect. Road hazard incidents are not covered on tires that came with a vehicle when new.

Also, the tire can't be repaired, will need to be replaced.

Don't think Mazda dealer would handle the warranty on OE tires. They'll direct you to contact the tire manufacture if you have defect on OE tires and you'll find separate tire warranty pamphlet in your owner's manual booklet.

In OP's case there's no warranty and the tire is not patchable. Your only choice is to buy another matching Toyo A23 tire with similar tread depth and do it ASAP. The good news is this OE Toyo A23 tire is not expensive like it used to be, the price has dropped from $269.31 to $145.42 each from Tire Rack!

Somehow my wife's 2016 GT CX-5 with 5500 miles on it got a big chunk taken out of the sidewall. It's deep enough I can see the belt a little. Any chance that would be covered by warranty? Can that be patched?

agree with Yrwei,

it's cheap enough now to get a new one and with only 5500 miles on the the other three, I don't think there will be a major tread depth difference

I wouldn't take a chance on patching up a sidewall, too dangerous and why risk a blowout on the highway, just get a new one.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tiresWillFit=true&tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=A23&partnum=255VR9A23

agree with Yrwei,

it's cheap enough now to get a new one and with only 5500 miles on the the other three, I don't think there will be a major tread depth difference

I wouldn't take a chance on patching up a sidewall, too dangerous and why risk a blowout on the highway, just get a new one.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tiresWillFit=true&tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=A23&partnum=255VR9A23

I also agree. Wear shouldn't be too bad since only 5500 miles. Just get a new tire.

No sense in risking the blowout.

If "somehow" hit something hard enough to take off a chunk of sidewall rubber then you may need to get a realignment. Ed

Don't think Mazda dealer would handle the warranty on OE tires. They'll direct you to contact the tire manufacture if you have defect on OE tires and you'll find separate tire warranty pamphlet in your owner's manual booklet.

In OP's case there's no warranty and the tire is not patchable. Your only choice is to buy another matching Toyo A23 tire with similar tread depth and do it ASAP. The good news is this OE Toyo A23 tire is not expensive like it used to be, the price has dropped from $269.31 to $145.42 each from Tire Rack!

That's almost reasonable for what is a decent tire.

yes... get it done ASAP! if yours is an AWD, you would want to replace all 4 tires at the same time if you wait too long... the different wear patterns will cause the transfer case to fail eventually... the limit difference is usually 3/32"

Tire warranty is provided by the tire manufacturer, not Mazda. Most Mazda dealerships can warranty a tire that originally came on a new Mazda, if the tire failed due to a tire manufacturer defect. Road hazard incidents are not covered on tires that came with a vehicle when new.

Also, the tire can't be repaired, will need to be replaced.

For your information. When I needed a Toyo tire replaced on my 2016 GT, I found one at a dealer. Since I had less than 6,000 miles on it, I called Toyo. They eventually gave me the purchase price and my dealership gave me a gift card to cover the install. It was a good outcome.

Back