2016/2017 CX-9 FM radio reception issues

TX_Driver

:
2016 CX-9 GT
Has anyone had reception problems with their FM radio? My 2016 CX-9 has always seemed to struggle compared to my other cars. At times, reception will be strong and clear while at other times the reception will periodically break-up.

I'm just going out on a limb here... I don't know how the new models are built, but if its like my 2008 where it has a diversity antenna above the gate glass defroster wires, if the inside of the glass has a lot of grime (smoke or dust or other buildups) and the outside is dirty too, it will cut down on reception. Cleaning the inside and outside of the gate glass tends to fix that. At least that has been my experience.

I'm just going out on a limb here... I don't know how the new models are built, but if its like my 2008 where it has a diversity antenna above the gate glass defroster wires, if the inside of the glass has a lot of grime (smoke or dust or other buildups) and the outside is dirty too, it will cut down on reception. Cleaning the inside and outside of the gate glass tends to fix that. At least that has been my experience.
The 2016s have a shark fin on top, so what you described isn't an issue.

To OP's question, I haven't noticed any issues with mine.

Out of curiosity, is the sat antenna and radio antenna in this one fin? I know sat uses an FM receiver albeit different frequency band...

I've been surprised how bad the Sirius reception is for me. It's my first car with satellite radio so I have nothing to compare it to, but I've experienced drop outs driving on the highway with nothing really around me in terms of obstructions.

For what it's worth, SiriusXM reception has gone down over the past years - could be crappier antennas, or signal changes, or sun spots...who knows.

I know the quality of satellite radio has gone down the crapper as the have plexed more channels. I have recordings of Satellite radio from 15 years ago, and it's night and day compared to today. Since the merger, they have gotten worse and worse. Even worse, the content has dropped enormously (in amount and variety), it's really too bad.

There is a good market for their service, but they fumble the execution. Also, car makers do a horrible job - they present a very limited interface in the car.

HD Radio (FM) is so much better, it's ridiculous. But still reception issue. But too little too late?

Thanks, all, for your replies. My issue is primarily with FM reception (my SiriusXM is actually quite good). Just yesterday I was listening to an FM station and a different station cut-in for a few seconds. So the receiver seems to have an issue discriminating neighboring stations. It is intermittent enough that I suspect the dealer would claim it is normal.

Back