2012 Mazda 5 where is the evap canister

anchorbeach

:
2012 Mazda 5 Sport
Hello
I threw a code saying I have a small evap leak, replacing gas cap didn't change anything. I was wonder where is the evap canister located, can't seem to find it.
Plus anyone have suggestions on what is most likely cause of code? runs fine, 96 k had it since 2013 with low miles
thanks

Evaps leaks could be in many places. Shops will use expensive smoke machines to find the leak. There are some build your own smoke machines on YouTube if you wanna explore that. Otherwise you are just guessing and throwing parts at it.

I'm not looking to through money and hope it sticks to the wall so to speak, but I wanted to inspect the canister but I can't find any info as to where iit is located, I don't see it under the hood although the purge valve is located there.
p.s. you aren't in Houston area are you, my step kids are there two going to University of Houston, flooding not good

Canisters are larger objects and usually under the body of the car. There are hoses that run from the gas tank to the canister and then canister to the purge valve. Then purge valve to the engine intake. Any little cracks in those hoses will set the code, or if the purge valve is stuck open (you can blow through it) then it will also set the code.

EDIT: no, I'm not in Houston thankfully

Last edited:
Were you ever able to find a solution? I paid a local mechanic for a smoke test and he stated that he couldn't find the leak and that his computer was able to operate all the valves... Is is possible the valves only partially closed/opened and caused the CEL? The gas cap looks good and I put vaseline around the gasket. Any other likely culprits? Much appreciated--2015 Mazda 5

Were you ever able to find a solution? I paid a local mechanic for a smoke test and he stated that he couldn't find the leak and that his computer was able to operate all the valves... Is is possible the valves only partially closed/opened and caused the CEL? The gas cap looks good and I put vaseline around the gasket. Any other likely culprits? Much appreciated--2015 Mazda 5

If there is a leak, there is something wrong. If you are in NY, dunno how far away you are, take it here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA/about?disable_polymer=1
South Main Auto Repair 47 S Main St, Avoca, New York 14809

I've watched a tone of videos and his diagnostic skills are awesome.

Last edited:
Back