New CX-8 Released - More Than Just A 7 Seat CX-5?

The CX-8 reminds me of the 7 seat Rav4 ... while there was technically 7 seats ... the rear 2 "seats" are only meant for small children.
but I guess they can make the business case in Japan where people are smaller typically so spacing seats apart wont be as bad...

I always find that complaint a bit comical. Is that not basically their intended purpose? Carry a couple extra kids in a pinch? It's not like people are confusing them for stretch limos and attempting to chauffeur NBA stars back there (rlaugh)

The CX-8 reminds me of the 7 seat Rav4 ... while there was technically 7 seats ... the rear 2 "seats" are only meant for small children.
but I guess they can make the business case in Japan where people are smaller typically so spacing seats apart wont be as bad...
Apparently the size of CX-8 is between CX-5 and CX-9. CX-8 has longer wheel-base than CX-5、Toyota RAV4、and any other compact CUVs such as available 3rd-row seating Nissan Rogue. Although the space may be tight, the 3rd-row seating in CX-8 looks definitely designed not for small children only. The size should be similar to old CX-7 or Lexus RX 350 where my wife is always interested in getting one for that size.

Australia has already had CX-9, and Mazda Australia is considering to import CX-8; why not here in the USA? CX-8 is a true replacement size-wise to once-popular-now-defunct CX-7; CX-5 is not.

Mazda CX-8:
170914ab.jpg

Nissan Rogue (with kid-only 3rd-row seat option):
2017-Nissan-Rogue-seats.jpg

Last edited:
They're not considering a CX-8 for the US market because the CX-9 as it is right now, is already on the small side as far as 3 row SUV goes. A CX-8 which is a few inches shorter than a CX-9 would be a hard-sell.

that all white leather... (eek)

Sure looks pretty in photos (while new anyway). Can't see me buying it with two kids and a dog though!

They sure could use a brown/tan option.... Here's hoping that becomes available in the 2018's perhaps coinciding with the diesel release. Something like their 'signature' interiors from previous models.

5914807945339e5c659f32d46a4f0423-720x540.png

There's (I believe) 4 versions of the diesel now:
  • 2.2 Low output (Europe)
  • 2.2 High output (Europe, rest of world excluding USA)
  • 2.2 with Urea injection according to Unobtanium
  • 2.2 for CX-8

Your getting the third one listed above

And the difference between the first two is literally an ecu tune.

Sure looks pretty in photos (while new anyway). Can't see me buying it with two kids and a dog though!

They sure could use a brown/tan option.... Here's hoping that becomes available in the 2018's perhaps coinciding with the diesel release. Something like their 'signature' interiors from previous models.

5914807945339e5c659f32d46a4f0423-720x540.png

Well they have a very similar colour now for the CX-8:

2018_mazda_cx_8_japan_09.jpg

First promo is out

Note the Illinois number plates:

Yep, Illinois license plate! Does this mean the CX-8 will be available in the US? (uhm)

I like this Super-Sized CX-5 with high-output 187hp / 331ft-lb diesel engine. This CX-8 would be the top choice for our next car purchase if it ever be available here in the US!

Apparently Deep Red and Pure White are available interior colors in CX-8 than black and parchment in CX-5.

XD L Package with genuine leather in Deep Red:

170914aa.jpg

XD L Package with genuine leather in Pure White:

170914ab.jpg

Yep, Illinois license plate! Does this mean the CX-8 will be available in the US? (uhm)

I like this Super-Sized CX-5 with high-output 187hp / 331ft-lb diesel engine. This CX-8 would be the top choice for our next car purchase if it ever be available here in the US!

Apparently Deep Red and Pure White are available interior colors in CX-8 than black and parchment in CX-5.

XD L Package with genuine leather in Deep Red:

170914aa.jpg

XD L Package with genuine leather in Pure White:

170914ab.jpg

No idea re USA availability. Under consideration here in Oz though.

I see they have the driver sitting on the correct side of the car, too!

Thre is no way, ever, that I will have a car with white upholstery/interior. No way.

It will b einteresting to see the specs, and especially the weight. Hope the extra power and torque isnt cancelled out by extra weight. And, I hope the 3rd row seats can be removed without too much difficulty.

A RHD CX-8 with US Illinois license plate driving on the right side of the street in a seemly US city environment - a lot of imagination ⋯ (boom08)

A RHD CX-8 with US Illinois license plate driving on the right side of the street in a seemly US city environment - a lot of imagination ⋯ (boom08)

Nah.. just permission from Illinois state government to do this (wink)

I see they have the driver sitting on the correct side of the car, too!

Thre is no way, ever, that I will have a car with white upholstery/interior. No way.

It will b einteresting to see the specs, and especially the weight. Hope the extra power and torque isnt cancelled out by extra weight. And, I hope the 3rd row seats can be removed without too much difficulty.

It will weight more than the current CX-5 diesel

Back