New CX-8 Released - More Than Just A 7 Seat CX-5?

[*]CX-8 2.2Lturbo diesel 140KW (187hp) 450NM (331ft/lb) vs CX-5 2.2L diesel 129kw (173hp) 420NM (310ft/lb)

what is the difference between the two motors? the CX-5 is also a turbo-diesel with sequential turbos.

Hmm, maybe. We often get the higher output engines because:

1- Americans want the most power possible, fuel consumption be damned.
2- Americans are fat. Thus more total mass to be moved around.
I agree on both those points but if Mazda is going to sell this thing to us ignorant US consumers who don't really understand diesels, it's going to be by launching a class leading SUV.
It's gotta beat the Rav4 and Equinox Diesel in mpg to have a chance here in the US so I'd think they'd detune it slightly to give it a shot at those types of #'s.

what is the difference between the two motors? the CX-5 is also a turbo-diesel with sequential turbos.
probably the same motors with different tuning.

A mini CX-9 for Japan! I thought all Mazda Diesels had turbos? Is this the engine coming to the USA in the CX-5?

Also, there were some rumors that Mazda was thinking of bringing the CX-4 to North America.

There's (I believe) 4 versions of the diesel now:
  • 2.2 Low output (Europe)
  • 2.2 High output (Europe, rest of world excluding USA)
  • 2.2 with Urea injection according to Unobtanium
  • 2.2 for CX-8

Your getting the third one listed above

I agree on both those points but if Mazda is going to sell this thing to us ignorant US consumers who don't really understand diesels, it's going to be by launching a class leading SUV.
It's gotta beat the Rav4 and Equinox Diesel in mpg to have a chance here in the US so I'd think they'd detune it slightly to give it a shot at those types of #'s.

I think I saw a Dave Coleman interview where he said the rationale for the CX-5 diesel in the US is more about performance than fuel economy. I think they both matter, but I think he's right that most American buyers will opt for more performance over more economy. I know if you gave me the choice of either the low HP tune with better fuel economy than RAV4 hybrid and Equinox diesel, or the high HP tune with worse fuel economy than the others, I would take the high HP tune for sure.

I think I saw a Dave Coleman interview where he said the rationale for the CX-5 diesel in the US is more about performance than fuel economy. I think they both matter, but I think he's right that most American buyers will opt for more performance over more economy. I know if you gave me the choice of either the low HP tune with better fuel economy than RAV4 hybrid and Equinox diesel, or the high HP tune with worse fuel economy than the others, I would take the high HP tune for sure.

You guys are getting more power and torque for your version. So might make it slightly faster than our CX-5

I think about 200 HP and 30 mpg real world mixed driving are at the sweet spots of where I'll be happy. I wouldn't want better than that on either if it meant the other was worse.

I'm getting more excited about the diesel US version. Does accepting urea injection allow more design space for improving HP and fuel economy? I'm wondering if they had to make compromises to meet less stringent, but real, emissions requirements in other markets without using urea injection.

There's (I believe) 4 versions of the diesel now:
  • 2.2 Low output (Europe)
  • 2.2 High output (Europe, rest of world excluding USA)
  • 2.2 with Urea injection according to Unobtanium
  • 2.2 for CX-8 How is this different from the low or high output above?

Your getting the third one listed above

More excitement, its allegedly rated at 36 mpg combined:

http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/...26.1851263379.1505375832-999941389.1505375832

"In fact, the CX-8 is powered exclusively by a 2.2-liter diesel generating 188 horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed automatic is standard; all-wheel drive is optional. Suspension parts carry over from the CX-9, but Mazda says “damping and other parameters have been tuned especially for the CX-8.”2018 Mazda CX-8 cabin - Image: MazdaA six-passenger layout, rather than the seven-passenger format, is available. Mazda says there is 8.4 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row or 20.2 with the third row folded. That’s down 42 percent and 47 percent, respectively, from the 14.4 cubic feet and 38.2 cubic feet offered in the CX-9, which isn’t sold in Japan. On the WLTC cycle, the 2018 Mazda CX-8 AWD is rated at 36 miles per gallon combined."

More excitement, its allegedly rated at 36 mpg combined:

http://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/...26.1851263379.1505375832-999941389.1505375832

"In fact, the CX-8 is powered exclusively by a 2.2-liter diesel generating 188 horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed automatic is standard; all-wheel drive is optional. Suspension parts carry over from the CX-9, but Mazda says “damping and other parameters have been tuned especially for the CX-8.”2018 Mazda CX-8 cabin - Image: MazdaA six-passenger layout, rather than the seven-passenger format, is available. Mazda says there is 8.4 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row or 20.2 with the third row folded. That’s down 42 percent and 47 percent, respectively, from the 14.4 cubic feet and 38.2 cubic feet offered in the CX-9, which isn’t sold in Japan. On the WLTC cycle, the 2018 Mazda CX-8 AWD is rated at 36 miles per gallon combined."

Or for us AWD 6.4-6.49 L/100km

Looks like it's definitely on our (Australia's) radar:

"Mazda Australia has confirmed its Japanese parent has given permission to import and sell the CX-8, however the local division is currently still reviewing the business case.

With factors such as pricing, specification and launch date to consider, Mazda Australia is expected to make an official announcement on the matter in the next few months.

Australia pricing could come in at around $48,000 before on-road costs, up to about $60,000 placing the CX-8 right in between its CX-5 and CX-9 SUV siblings."

Source: Mazda CX-8 SUV 2018 revealed with diesel power

Looks like it's definitely on our (Australia's) radar:

"Mazda Australia has confirmed its Japanese parent has given permission to import and sell the CX-8, however the local division is currently still reviewing the business case.

With factors such as pricing, specification and launch date to consider, Mazda Australia is expected to make an official announcement on the matter in the next few months.

Australia pricing could come in at around $48,000 before on-road costs, up to about $60,000 – placing the CX-8 right in between its CX-5 and CX-9 SUV siblings."

Source: Mazda CX-8 SUV 2018 revealed with diesel power
If this new 3-row seating CX-8 diesel is ever available here in the US, I'd be more interested getting one than getting a diesel CX-5!

If this new 3-row seating CX-8 diesel is ever available here in the US, I'd be more interested getting one than getting a diesel CX-5!

I doubt North America ever sees the CX8 when they've already got the CX9 and people are infatuated with bigger vehicles than they need.

I agree, I don't think we'll ever see the CX-8 here.
it's probably too small for our market (cus you know, bigger is BETTER in 'Murica!) and it would probably take away from CX-9 sales.

The CX-8 reminds me of the 7 seat Rav4 ... while there was technically 7 seats ... the rear 2 "seats" are only meant for small children.
but I guess they can make the business case in Japan where people are smaller typically so spacing seats apart wont be as bad...

Back