New CX-8 Released - More Than Just A 7 Seat CX-5?

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
2018 Mazda CX-8 revealed in Japan

Highlights:

• CX-8 2.2L turbo diesel 140KW (187hp) 450NM (331ft/lb) vs CX-5 2.2L diesel 129kw (173hp) 420NM (310ft/lb)
  • 360 degree camera
  • Nappa Leather Upholstery
  • Real Wood Trim

2018_mazda_cx_8_japan_03.jpg

2018_mazda_cx_8_japan_04.jpg

2018_mazda_cx_8_japan_05.jpg

2018_mazda_cx_8_japan_09.jpg

I don't get the trend to put a third row bench in cars that are really too small to accommodate one. The third row in the CX-9, Sorento, Santa Fe, and Kluger/Highlander were already pushing the limit of usability, and now we have even smaller vehicles coming to market with a third row.

I don't get the trend to put a third row bench in cars that are really too small to accommodate one. The third row in the CX-9, Sorento, Santa Fe, and Kluger/Highlander were already pushing the limit of usability, and now we have even smaller vehicles coming to market with a third row.

It's primarily for the Japanese market as the CX-9 is not sold their because of the tax reasons. So they had to do it this way

Good power and torque numbers from the diesel mill. It's primarily for the Japanese market where the CX-9 is not available. I can see those alloy wheels being the choice in the next CX-5 update.

A mini CX-9 for Japan! I thought all Mazda Diesels had turbos? Is this the engine coming to the USA in the CX-5?

Also, there were some rumors that Mazda was thinking of bringing the CX-4 to North America.

It's primarily for the Japanese market as the CX-9 is not sold their because of the tax reasons. So they had to do it this way
In addition to tax reason, the size is an issue too in Asian market. 3-row seating CX-9 is too big for many Asian cities!

3-row seating CX-8 should also aim to huge Chinese market as Chinese people love the number "8" and 3-row seating! ;)

In addition to tax reason, the size is an issue too in Asian market. 3-row seating CX-9 is too big for many Asian cities!

3-row seating CX-8 should also aim to huge Chinese market as Chinese people love the number "8" and 3-row seating! ;)

makes you wonder how well the CX-4 is selling because they hate the number "4" lol

The third row in these is very small - Toddlers only. Also may have to give up the spare tire.

makes you wonder how well the CX-4 is selling because they hate the number "4" lol

In all my time in China, I have only seen 2-3 CX-4s. Very nice looking car but very rare. I probably saw 100X as many Panameras!

Big news here is that they have a higher horsepower version of the 2.2 turbo diesel. I hope we get something like that soon in the US CX5. Do we know if the CX8 uses DEF?

In all my time in China, I have only seen 2-3 CX-4s. Very nice looking car but very rare. I probably saw 100X as many Panameras!

Well if the Chinese don't want them, send the damn things over here! I'd buy one in a hot second. In fact it may be the only Mazda I'd consider for my next purchase as I'm done with CUVs and the 3 is too small for me on the inside.

Big news here is that they have a higher horsepower version of the 2.2 turbo diesel. I hope we get something like that soon in the US CX5. Do we know if the CX8 uses DEF?

I'm also hoping this is the diesel engine we are going to get.

It would be nice to get the higher HP motor but I won't be holding my breath, they probably did it to overcome the added weight.
as for DEF, pretty sure that'll be exclusive to the US thanks to our lovely emission standards.

It would be nice to get the higher HP motor but I won't be holding my breath, they probably did it to overcome the added weight.
as for DEF, pretty sure that'll be exclusive to the US thanks to our lovely emission standards.

Hmm, maybe. We often get the higher output engines because:

1- Americans want the most power possible, fuel consumption be damned.
2- Americans are fat. Thus more total mass to be moved around.

My diesel CX-5 has provisions on the gas tank for DEF. I dunno if it can be retrofitted in the future.

Ha apparently you know the culture there very well! If I were the Mazda VP for Chinese market, I would never name the nice Chinese-only vehicle as CX-"4", it would be CX-"5" Sport or Sport Wagon! ;)

My diesel CX-5 has provisions on the gas tank for DEF. I dunno if it can be retrofitted in the future.
I agree with Jedi54, and only we get DEF in the US and no Nelson de Leon you don't want retrofit the DEF system into your 2017 diesel CX-5, ever!

Back