High RPM when engine starts (NEW 2017 CX5)

dasikone

:
2017 CX-5 Touring w/ Preferred
My new 2017 cx5 high RPM goes to 1500 with a loud engine noise when I start the car after it has been parked overnight or not driven over 5 plus hours. It revs very high for about 5 to 10 seconds then the RMP drops and the loud engine noise goes away.

Does anyone have a similar experience? It's my first ever new car and seems odd to me a brand new car would rev so high on a startup. (scratch) Should I be concerned? I'm planning to take it to the dealer service this week. Thank you for your feedback.

That is normal operation. Nothing to be concerned about. (2thumbs)

It should have been explained to you by the selling dealer during your vehicle tour and delivery and setup.

It is also listed in the owners manual.

To put it simply, the engine has an accelerated warm-up upon COLD start, and is programmed to get the catalyst in the converter lit off and up to working temperature.

Here is a video as well as a link that explains it fully.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dll86lTUxUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.holidaymazda.com/blog/why-is-my-mazda-3-so-loud-when-it-starts/

Last edited:
Just drive off right away when the car does that. No need to waste fuel and wear out your engine.

Ok I just tested again. It was sitting the parking lot for 3 hours out on the sun and it rev for 30 seconds.

Brings a whole new meaning to "engine loves to be revved". Welcome to the forum.

My Cx-5 and my prior 2012 3 Skyactiv always sounded like diesel first thing in the morning for a few minutes until it gets warm. I also read somewhere it is to blow the carbon and stuff from the Direct Injection ports

My new 2017 cx5 high RPM goes to 1500 with a loud engine noise when I start the car after it has been parked overnight or not driven over 5 plus hours. It revs very high for about 5 to 10 seconds then the RMP drops and the loud engine noise goes away.

Does anyone have a similar experience? It's my first ever new car and seems odd to me a brand new car would rev so high on a startup. (scratch) Should I be concerned? I'm planning to take it to the dealer service this week. Thank you for your feedback.

100% normal for CX-5 and all the other Skyactiv models :D

The older MZR engines do this too. They just don't sound weird on startup like the SkyActiv engines do.

Just drive off right away when the car does that. No need to waste fuel and wear out your engine.

Hi GJ-Molestor,
Let me respectfully disagree with you under the safety point of view.
If you are in a parking lot or driveway and you engage D or R with the engine idling at a faster RPMs will result in a sudden acceleration in an area that you need to be careful when pulling out.
I do not think the waste of gas as you said could even get closer to the value of safety if you hit a person or another vehicle or property.
Regarding the wear out of the engine, is something that can compare to pushing the gas to enter a highway or to pass another vehicle on it.

Hi GJ-Molestor,
Let me respectfully disagree with you under the safety point of view.
If you are in a parking lot or driveway and you engage D or R with the engine idling at a faster RPMs will result in a sudden acceleration in an area that you need to be careful when pulling out.
I do not think the waste of gas as you said could even get closer to the value of safety if you hit a person or another vehicle or property.
Regarding the wear out of the engine, is something that can compare to pushing the gas to enter a highway or to pass another vehicle on it.

This is exactly what I have been doing for the last 50k miles of the cars life and I have never had an issue with too much acceleration during the high idle... the idle settles down when you put the car in gear.

Thats not what I mean when I say that it wears out the engine. Cold starts are the enemy of a motor, this is why you want to drive off immediately and get the engine warmed up as quick as possible. The engines tolerances are not correct because metal expands when it is the correct temperature, the engine is running rich just to stay on which is stripping the critical film of protective oil off the cylinder walls during a cold start situation. Youve heard the saying that the most engine damage happens during cold stsrts correct? This is why you dont want to be sitting around idling.

I know it's normal, but I wonder how good this is for the engine in <30 degree temperatures before oil has a chance to circulate and recoat the engine properly.

I know it's normal, but I wonder how good this is for the engine in <30 degree temperatures before oil has a chance to circulate and recoat the engine properly.

If this was an issue, engine problems surely would have been widespread and known by now after 6 years of this motor being used (uhm)

This is exactly what I have been doing for the last 50k miles of the cars life and I have never had an issue with too much acceleration during the high idle... the idle settles down when you put the car in gear.

Thats not what I mean when I say that it wears out the engine. Cold starts are the enemy of a motor, this is why you want to drive off immediately and get the engine warmed up as quick as possible. The engines tolerances are not correct because metal expands when it is the correct temperature, the engine is running rich just to stay on which is stripping the critical film of protective oil off the cylinder walls during a cold start situation. Youve heard the saying that the most engine damage happens during cold stsrts correct? This is why you dont want to be sitting around idling.
^ Correct. The idle will settle down once you put it in gear. And yes cold starts are the enemy.

You're doing more damage to the engine by idling a cold engine. It is better to start driving off slowly after starting the engine. The manual doesn't say to wait until the RPM drops down, it says it is safe to start driving the car as long as the engine is not stumbling or the idle is not consistent yet.

^ Correct. The idle will settle down once you put it in gear. And yes cold starts are the enemy. You're doing more damage to the engine by idling a cold engine. It is better to start driving off slowly after starting the engine. The manual doesn't say to wait until the RPM drops down, it says it is safe to start driving the car as long as the engine is not stumbling or the idle is not consistent yet.

Agreed. The sooner you drive off, the quicker the engine will warm up which results in less engine wear. You should be driving off as soon as you start the engine.

So I got an oil change today and they tried to tell me I need to pay $219.00 for an intake cleaning to improve my gas mileage. My gas mileage has been averaging 25mpg since I bought the car, now with 60,000 miles on it so I declined.

Back