New RX on the way....

It sucks too, because a sports car is what saved Mazda's ass in the 90's.

I don't think LFAs or NSXs are exactly flying off the shelf either. Part of the idea of having a halo type car is to get people into the showroom. The RF is a cool little Miata, but we need POWER. Mazda has it in 'em. They've done it before. An FD will take a Supra's lunch money around a road course. Or an NSX, or MR2, or 300ZX, or 3000GT or...

Bring back the glory.

It sucks too, because a sports car is what saved Mazda's ass in the 90's.

I don't think LFAs or NSXs are exactly flying off the shelf either. Part of the idea of having a halo type car is to get people into the showroom. The RF is a cool little Miata, but we need POWER. Mazda has it in 'em. They've done it before. An FD will take a Supra's lunch money around a road course. Or an NSX, or MR2, or 300ZX, or 3000GT or...

Bring back the glory.

Majority if not all those cars were pricey. The Miata's winning formula worldwide was its price point to performance ratio meets a sweet spot. Roadsters come and go every few years but the Miata seems to be immune. The new Miata's very good mpg numbers yet improved performance only helps its cause.

That said yeah an FD would take all them fools money.

One car I hate to see now gone is the EVO though:(

Ok, so you're not kidding. Hmmm

There are way bigger meets like the ones you linked to for any number of discontinued cars. ~250 cars attending (45 on the track) for a car that was available for decades is just sad.

Die-hard modders and enthusiasts do not equal a market as the people in the links you give are not even close to being prospective new sports car buyers. Bolt-on wings? Really? If you were running Mazda, that would make you invest over $1B to bring out a new car model that would likely never sell more than 1000 units a month? Sorry, there's just no ROI and the brand is sporty enough without it.

Daily driving with a rotary engine is a risky proposition at best. Inherent efficiency problems (pathetically low mileage), inherent reliability problems, inherent power issues, horrible emissions (burns oil by design), teaching people not to flood it.... on and on. Even Mazda abandoned this tech for daily drivers back in the 70's.

With modern emissions and CAFE requirements, the rotary engine is DOA as a primary powerplant.
I don't know what to tell you except that Mazda is not following your sound logic and based on recent reports, they are still indeed working on the next gen rotary engine.

I am aware of the disadvantages of daily driving a rotary engine car, which is why I don't own a RX-8. I could have gotten a 2011 Mazda RX-8 R3 back then, but since I needed a reliable daily driver, I got a 2013 Speed3 instead. However if Mazda figures out a way to solve those daily driving issues, I won't hesitate to trade in my Speed3 for a new RX-9. Something about a lightweight car that can rev past 8k RPM appeals to me.

Here's a pic of my flop with no aftermarket fan base.

FD.may13.jpg

Good call thaumaturge. Don't bring anything like this back, Mazda. Keep offering nothing but FWD minivans in SUV clothes instead.

Here's a pic of my flop with no aftermarket fan base.

FD.may13.jpg

Good call thaumaturge. Don't bring anything like this back, Mazda. Keep offering nothing but FWD minivans in SUV clothes instead.

Visible evidence of self-selection bias, LOL.

I understand and acknowledge people with a passion for individual models like the RX-8. You bought the RX, you own it, you like it, good for you. You're in an exclusive club of people I might call masochists given how much trouble the cars typically give/cost their owners.

Selling what the market wants keeps you in business no matter how boring. If Mazda was the size of Toyota, GM, or even Honda, playing around with a halo sports car they knew would never break even would be okay. For Mazda in their current market position, it's just a fruitless and costly distraction IMHO. We'll see.

I understand and acknowledge people with a passion for individual models like the RX-8. You bought the RX, you own it, you like it, good for you. You're in an exclusive club of people I might call masochists given how much trouble the cars typically give/cost their owners.

Selling what the market wants keeps you in business no matter how boring. If Mazda was the size of Toyota, GM, or even Honda, playing around with a halo sports car they knew would never break even would be okay. For Mazda in their current market position, it's just a fruitless and costly distraction IMHO. We'll see.

They were typical of mid 90's Japanese sports cars. All of them were high maintenance except the NSX and the Supra. The thing is, Nissan and Honda are the only one's that kept innovating, and even they took a short break, although Honda is dead and done now there, too, unless you count the V6 6-speed accord, or the hyper expensive NSX.

Thing is, American cars now out-handle Japans cars. So it's just...awkward I guess at this stage, and they try to sell them based on nostalgia with 100hp less than their rivals, etc. Meh.

The RX8 was just a stain that never should have been. Mazda even had to buy them back at MSRP(offer) because they were so underwhelming.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Japanese sports cars are not being designed to only be sold in America, where the roads are mostly wide and straight. The design for these cars are mainly influenced by the driving environment in Japan. This is why most Japanese sports cars (well Mazdas and Hondas) are momentum cars, while American performance cars, are well muscle cars. They don't need as high horsepower in Japan because the roads are narrow and curvy. This is in stark contrast to the wide open roads in America, which is why horsepower is a really big deal here.

Lets see what your $60K worth of FWD SUVs does 25 years. My car (that I bought for 6K 10 years ago) is worth around 20k as it sits and gaining value every year.

Keep digging.

Ha you just hit the nail on the head about the rotary engine! There're too many deficiencies to overcome on rotary engine to be competitive as a modern internal combustion engine in the current era!

It works fine. IT's just the emissions regulations that prevent it. Industrially, rotary motors are in good stead.

Ha you just hit the nail on the head about the rotary engine! There're too many deficiencies to overcome on rotary engine to be competitive as a modern internal combustion engine in the current era!

It works fine. IT's just the emissions regulations that prevent it. Industrially, rotary motors are in good stead.

Lets see what your $60K worth of FWD SUVs does 25 years. My car (that I bought for 6K 10 years ago) is worth around 20k as it sits and gaining value every year.

Keep digging.

Cars in my world are depreciating assets that serve a daily purpose - transportation. I don't buy cars as investment vehicles ( pun intended), and don't give 2 hoots what anybody thinks of my choices.

BTW, until you sell it, you dont really know what it's worth
A quick search and I couldn't find any RX like yours for sale over 16k and most were under 10k. I could however, find numerous parts and cars with no engines. I'm sure a cherry example is worth a lot to someone.

If I were you I would enjoy my car and stop worrying about what other people think.

You don't give a hoot about what people think about your minivan but you wont stop hating on the single best car Mazda ever sold. Idiocy confirmed.

10K is a joke for a halfway decent FD. Take off the hate goggles and look again
https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-rx-7-1993-2002-vehicles-107/

I DO enjoy my car and I'll tell any dork on the internet who smack talks it to eat a bag of dicks. If I were you I'd pipe down.

Cars in my world are depreciating assets that serve a daily purpose - transportation. I don't buy cars as investment vehicles ( pun intended), and don't give 2 hoots what anybody thinks of my choices.

BTW, until you sell it, you dont really know what it's worth
A quick search and I couldn't find any RX like yours for sale over 16k and most were under 10k. I could however, find numerous parts and cars with no engines. I'm sure a cherry example is worth a lot to someone.

If I were you I would enjoy my car and stop worrying about what other people think.

Ya, but he has an RX7FD. It's fun as hell to drive, unique, and STILL TODAY looks sexy (opinion, I know, but show the picture to 100 people who don't know what it is, and I bet they all think it was designed in 2010 or later).

Thing is, his vehicle is not just "A to B" like a typical SUV. It's "living in the "to"" so to speak.

The FD is like a Harley. Sure it's not as fast, more maintenance intensive, more expensive to own, etc. than a 750GXXR, but...it has some things going for it that are not tangible.

I don't believe many halo cars make money to be honest. The Viper doesn't, from what I recall. The ONLY reason the Z06 and ZR1 did/do is because they share so much with the "base" car. Same for the ZL1, Cobra, etc. HALO cars are just that...physical "click bait" for the show-room, and inspiration for a kid. Take me for example...I grew up with the poster of a Viper on my wall as a kid. I ended up buying a Z06 instead, but the point remains...I was inspired from the time I was IN FIRST GRADE! to look at a Dodge product...every damn day.

Now take market research into account that everyone has conducted, and note that if you buy a HALO car, you almost ALWAYS will have other vehicles in the family of the same brand. I think we have proven the point with Natey right here...read his sig-line. That's a whole lotta' Mazda!

However...it also takes money to foot the bill on a HALO car for a company. Mazda just isn't there with the RX9. The RX8 is proof of that. It was a cheap piece of crap. It never should have been. It was one of those "Michael Jordan took up Baseball..." moments, after the RX7FD. Now, it sure would be nice if Mazda COULD do the RX9, and I think they could...except emissions regulations keeps killing viable rotary solutions for them, and the RX9 almost has to be rotary...or at least unique. They can't just put a 2.5L turbo motor in it. It is going to have to be a unique powerplant. Mazda just doesn't have the beans to do it right now, I don't think. Especially when the Miata has cemented itself so solidly as a performance car. I know you may laugh, but it's the most raced car in the world.

Let that last sentence sink in a bit.

You don't give a hoot about what people think about your minivan but you wont stop hating on the single best car Mazda ever sold. Idiocy confirmed.

10K is a joke for a halfway decent FD. Take off the hate goggles and look again
https://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-rx-7-1993-2002-vehicles-107/

I DO enjoy my car and I'll tell any dork on the internet who smack talks it to eat a bag of dicks. If I were you I'd pipe down.

Honestly none of the FD's I have seen under $12k are worth bothering with unless it is a parts car... Most of the ones I have seen that are nice are now in the $20k-35k range.

Here are the last 5 FD's sold on BaT Auctions, they all sold for between $20k and 32k

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-10/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-5/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-11/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-16/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-mazda-rx-7/

Back