Hunting season!

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I am considering buying a cargo/rubberized rear mat for my CX5 for the purpose of transporting deer. Anyone done this? Looks okay on paper, but is reality messy?

Anyway, just finished sighting in my shotgun yesterday, ready for deer!

3 shots at 50 yards.
21752847_935690108961_3880723088400791017_o.jpg

Tow Hitch installed and rent a Uhaul trailer ...
best option IMO

and at 50 yards ...
I say 7.62x39 with an SKS would be just fine too

Tow Hitch installed and rent a Uhaul trailer ...
best option IMO

and at 50 yards ...
I say 7.62x39 with an SKS would be just fine too

I think it would as well, but I have an M4 and a 12ga shotgun, and I killed a deer with the M4, so now it's the 12ga's turn.

So the transporting of the deer inside the back hatch with the rubber mat seems radically un-popular. The deer here are 1-150#. Not like big Nebraska deer.

I think it would as well, but I have an M4 and a 12ga shotgun, and I killed a deer with the M4, so now it's the 12ga's turn.

So the transporting of the deer inside the back hatch with the rubber mat seems radically un-popular. The deer here are 1-150#. Not like big Nebraska deer.

Its not like you can't do it ...
but it would be a mess if you need to clean up plus the smell may linger
even if you use a large plastic tarp/trash bags etc ...
I am not sure if a whole bottle of febreeze would do the trick...

you gotta do what you gotta do ...

but . . .
I would go with a trailer hitch install due to varies uses down the line...
renting a small Uhaul trailer( 4x7 Utility Trailer Rental) mean you don't gotta keep it afterwards.
http://www.uhaul.com/Misc/Trailers/4x7-Utility-Trailer-Rental/FS/

Last edited:
Its not like you can't do it ...
but it would be a mess if you need to clean up plus the smell may linger
even if you use a large plastic tarp/trash bags etc ...
I am not sure if a whole bottle of febreeze would do the trick...

you gotta do what you gotta do ...

but . . .
I would go with a trailer hitch install due to varies uses down the line...
renting a small Uhaul trailer( 4x7 Utility Trailer Rental) mean you don't gotta keep it afterwards.

This season I will simply process it when and where I kill it, but next season I may take one in a different locale, and just looking for options. Seems like a "farm truck" might be the most sensible option for next year.

When I started hunting deer, we would carry them home on a thick plastic drop cloth/tarp in the back of a station wagon. Never had a problem with lingering odor or mess and it was easier than putting it on the roof.

Later we built a pull cart, because dragging a deer up hill for a mile on a rocky, spring washed old logging road is too much work. We would take the wheels off the cart and slide it into the back of a Suburban with the deer in it.

A properly field dressed deer doesn't smell or bleed much during transport.

I am considering buying a cargo/rubberized rear mat for my CX5 for the purpose of transporting deer. Anyone done this? Looks okay on paper, but is reality messy?

Anyway, just finished sighting in my shotgun yesterday, ready for deer!

3 shots at 50 yards.

If your barrel is rifled, have you considered sabot slugs? I use them for hogs in my 870 with rifled barrel with scope and they are so accurate from 75-100 yards or more. Also, .58 caliber leaves a nice sized hole.

And too many ticks around here to transport game inside the vehicle.

If your barrel is rifled, have you considered sabot slugs? I use them for hogs in my 870 with rifled barrel with scope and they are so accurate from 75-100 yards or more. Also, .58 caliber leaves a nice sized hole.

I too use the Hornady SST slugs in my 12 gauge rifled slug gun. I trust it out to the same range as you state as well,and it drops em right there with a back flip most of the time. The recoil is something serious,though,but I like it from time to time...

I too use the Hornady SST slugs in my 12 gauge rifled slug gun. I trust it out to the same range as you state as well,and it drops em right there with a back flip most of the time. The recoil is something serious,though,but I like it from time to time...

I'll have to try those. Been using Remington accutip sabots for a while now. Yes, you definitely feel the recoil, lol, but the knockdown power is pretty impressive as you mentioned.

It's smooth bore.

I'm hoping all the ticks are done for due to cold weather by the time season is here.

Going elk hunting with my father and brother the first week of October. We used to hunt elk with modern but last 7 or 8 years have gone to muzzleloader. We have a couple of cow (elk) permits.

The point about ticks is a good one. I always assumed they were just a summer threat around here in the Northeast because everyone talks of tick season and nobody seems to get bitten from late fall through early spring. However, I just Googled it and the consensus seems to be that most ticks survive winter, they're just not active when the temps are below freezing.

It's smooth bore.

I'm hoping all the ticks are done for due to cold weather by the time season is here.

Never a good or popular idea for transporting a fresh kill. I've never seen a deer that didn't have a hundred ticks on them when field dressing. Install a hitch and transport with a trailor or a proper roof rack.

Never a good or popular idea for transporting a fresh kill. I've never seen a deer that didn't have a hundred ticks on them when field dressing. Install a hitch and transport with a trailor or a proper roof rack.

Odd. The one I shot 2 years ago had narry a tick. Seems as though the haul-it-in-the-back idea is dead by popular demand, though.

Back