2017~2024 Buy parts outside USA and ship to USA?

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Buy parts outside USA and ship to USA?
Has anybody tried and succeeded?

Please share your experience.
Thank you!

I remember buying a roof spoiler off Ebay and it was shipped EMS.. the wait is LONG.

but as far as the CX-5 is concern ... all the OEM parts can be bought from US dealerships/sites like mazdaparts.org

unless Mazda makes a new FACEMASK for the 2017 CX-5 and it JP only then I would import from Japan if needed.

...unless Mazda makes a new FACEMASK for the 2017 CX-5 and it JP only then I would import from Japan if needed.

If I had a '17, I'd search the globe for a mask for that front end too! :) (just kidding, but I thought I'd beat someone else to it)

Buy parts outside USA and ship to USA?
Has anybody tried and succeeded?

Please share your experience.
Thank you!

I got a quote from japanparts.com on some OEM parts before they were available in the US. Didn't actually purchase them because the shipping was so much (the parts were roof moldings that were an odd size -- very long). But the price of the parts w/o shipping was very reasonable and they were very responsive to my e-mails.

I'm specifically curious of the cost to get features available overseas on the CX-5, but not on the USA version.

- ALH headlights
- turning backup software with front/rear sensors
- auto-foldin mirrors
- puddle light under doors

So far, nobody answers my emails at 2 UK Mazda parts dealerships.

I can't find any of these at any USA parts vendor.

I did it for my RX-8 years ago since the UK version had an option for Mazda hood struts that weren't available in US.
since it was an OE part for them, was able to order it online, they did the currency conversion and I had the parts a few weeks later. Pretty simple process actually.

Other than that, I've ordered quite a bit of aftermarket parts from Japan (hood, bumper, side skirts, rear bumper, etc) through companies that do that and it's fairly simple so long as you let them handle all the paperwork.
BulletProof Automotive does a great job and I know many people have used japanparts.com with much success.

You don't want JDM or UK headlights anyway, they're not suitable for our roads... you'll want to get the ones for Europe (such as Germany)
the controller for it is different and so is the level sensor.. there's probably a need to update the as-built data

anyway, I already imported many parts from around the world... it's not the matter of speed or cost, but being able to find where to get them
I'm willing to bet no one else on the continent has the color keyed mud flaps, full cargo tray set (seat backs and trunk floor), OEM alarm overhead console, alarm addon accessory on a new 3

I'm specifically curious of the cost to get features available overseas on the CX-5, but not on the USA version.

- ALH headlights
- auto-foldin mirrors

Puddle light under doors are available from ebay. Probably not OEM though.

even the US scuff plates are a cheaper design than what's sold overseas... you can't get all the accessories here!

- ALH headlights
- auto-foldin mirrors

The parts for the features you want are almost impossible to get for US CX-5's. The light pattern of headlights、and the housing angle of outside rearview mirrors are totally different between LHD (US) and RHD (UK、Japan) vehicles. Not to mention the Forward Sensing Camera used for Adaptive LED Headlights, and other sensors and software to handle the ALH are missing. There's simply no way you can retrofit ALH into US CX-5. Even if you can find all the hardware for RHD may be from Germany which is going to cost you an arm and a leg, and you still can't get software support for ALH.

Integrating factory-like Front and Rear Parking Sensors into our infotainment system are also an impossible task even if you can locate all parts from Japan, as the software support will be impossible to get.

I've seen a guy did the power-folding outside mirrors mod on a Mazda3, but the issues still remain on housing angle as he was getting all parts from Japan. And his power-folding mirrors can't be fully integrated with the car system due to the lack of proper software support.

The only fesible mod is the puddle light under doors from Japan. But how to make an opening for puddle light and hide the wiring harness nicely would be still issues to overcome.

All of these features you'd like to add are the best from factory. Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations are not willing to give us these features available to other regions, although ALH is not legal by our out-of-date DOT regulations.

Power-folding mirrors look cool, but they are prone to failure.... (think: car wash)
Not really useful in US.
These are standard equipments on all levels of Mazda3/6/CX5 in Asian market.
Streets are narrow there. Mirrors do not survive very long if not folded.

Last edited:
power folding mirrors have been around for the past 30 years... it's a refined and reliable part (NOT PRONE TO FAILURE)
not all asian countries got power folding mirrors

the european (NOT UK, ireland, malta) mirrors are angled properly as their steering also on the left, but not all are power folding!
the mirror glass is also a very useful upgrade while you are at it... 99% blind spot elimination
attachment.php

the mirror glass is a separate item from the mirror housing assembly, unlike previous mazdas... in other words, buying power folding mirrors comes without the glass!
the driver side glass is convex + an aspheric outer portion... the passenger side is just a regular full convex glass but without any warning labels... combine both UK and german spec glass for best of both worlds

Last edited:
power folding mirrors have been around for the past 30 years... it's a refined and reliable part (NOT PRONE TO FAILURE)
Agreed. Power folding outside mirrors still work great on my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX after all these years. Power-folding mirrors on friend's 2003 Ford Mondeo in Taiwan with hot-and-humid environment have never had any issues either. They're very reliable!

I thought I was going to come back and thank people for their shared experiences from buying overseas..

I'm surprised this thread turned into one convincing me against getting buying what I want, that I don't need it, or that it can't be done. I didn't think I would have to now defend myself by sharing my resume and telling my background. Ha.

It's a nice gesture to be concerned and caring, but let's please keep in mind that it's from your perspective. :cool: Let's "suggest" or "recommend" things shouldn't be done. Almost nothing is impossible. There may be downsides and it may take work, knowledge, or money, but most things aren't impossible.

ALH sourcing from RHD countries for LHD usages, makes no practical sense and was never my intention.
It just makes sense to source it from LHD countries.

I'm aware of the DOT rules, but it's not stopping me.

Power mirrors might not make practical sense for where you live, but you don't live where I live or park where I park.
:cool:
Unless I hear from users who have factory setups for folding mirrors, say the Mazda design is unreliable, I will assume they are fine. These are extremely common on the vehicles I've driven while in the UK, European Union countries, Japan, and South Korea.

I appreciate the feedback and suggested downsides towards the backup camera. I have many of the same predicted struggles with doing it.

When it comes time to start further evaluating and actually executing on each of these, I'll open separate threads for each.

At the moment, I can't even find the parts.
I have yet to pay for Mazda's access for TSBs/schematics/diagrams, but I predict (past experience from getting this access for Toyota) that it will only be for USA spec vehicles.

I am also struggling to even find factory parts and build diagrams for non-USA spec vehicles.
All I get are foreign websites selling accessories.

Thank you for the tips for things to be aware of, like the concave driver's mirror.

Last edited:
I thought I was going to come back and thank people for their shared experiences from buying overseas..

I'm surprised this thread turned into one convincing me against getting buying what I want, that I don't need it, or that it can't be done. I didn't think I would have to now defend myself by sharing my resume and telling my background. Ha.

It's a nice gesture to be concerned and caring, but let's please keep in mind that it's from your perspective. :cool: Let's "suggest" or "recommend" things shouldn't be done. Almost nothing is impossible. There may be downsides and it may take work, knowledge, or money, but most things aren't impossible.

ALH sourcing from RHD countries for LHD usages, makes no practical sense and was never my intention.
It just makes sense to source it from LHD countries.

I'm aware of the DOT rules, but it's not stopping me.

Power mirrors might not make practical sense for where you live, but you don't live where I live or park where I park.
:cool:
Unless I hear from users who have factory setups for folding mirrors, say the Mazda design is unreliable, I will assume they are fine. These are extremely common on the vehicles I've driven while in the UK, European Union countries, Japan, and South Korea.

I appreciate the feedback and suggested downsides towards the backup camera. I have many of the same predicted struggles with doing it.

When it comes time to start further evaluating and actually executing on each of these, I'll open separate threads for each.

I have yet to pay for Mazda's access for TSBs/schematics/diagrams, but I predict (past experience from getting this access for Toyota) that it will only be for USA spec vehicles.

I am also struggling to even find factory parts and build diagrams for non-USA spec vehicles.

Thank you for the tips for things to be aware of, like the concave driver's mirror.
We're here trying to answer your questions based on our best knowledge without knowing your background. You asked buying experience of non-US-spec parts and we provided to you. You listed the items you're interested to do and we gave our opinions. But if you sent emails to UK Mazda dealers instead of German Mazda dealers inquiring parts for your needs on a LHD CX-5 which indicates at least to me you didn't aware the ALH and Power-Folding Mirrors are LHD and RHD dependent.

If you'd done finding non-US-spec parts on your Toyota before, you should know those JDM parts sources overseas without asking. And you should know you're not going to find any non-US-spec parts information from any Mazda USA network. It's the questions you asked on face value prompted our answers. We can't read your mind、your knowledge、and your determination of doing your intended projects unless you told us. Yeah nothing is impossible. But things you've listed mostly are not feasible to make it happen for a LHD US CX-5, and they'd be very costly. Even if you've collected all the parts, you still can't get any necessary software support in the US which also requires proprietary Mazda computer equipment to do the change. To me it's easier and cheaper to figure out a way importing a German CX-5 with all of these features you want.

yrwei52,

I'm sorry if my comments upset you personally. They were never ment to be an attack in any way, especially yourself. This is why I put two smile faces into the post as well.

If anything, I found what you shared to be the most solid. Maybe it was how I bolded the ALD comment that threw you? I've already delt with and experienced on other people's cars, imported factory HID lights from japan on US-spec cars back in 2002 time frame, almost 15yrs ago. You can understand my annoyence with somebody explaining to me these downsides, however, yes, nobody knows my background or experience here.

I'm still stuck here though:

Back