Side step removal

r0adie

:
Protege 5
I'm working on fixing some rusted areas around the wheel wells and I need to take off the side steps on my P5, I've looked online for the factory manual and I see there are a series of clips to take off first, has anyone seen how to do this online? Is there a special tool I need to use?

you may want to elaborate on what you mean by a side step. or attach a picture, when i hear side step i think running boards on trucks and SUV's.

P5s come with side skirts. I think that's what he means.

Sorry I've never had a reason to pop em off, but I'll bet if you get under the car it'll be pretty self explanatory. They're probably glued on too.

Yea... They call it a side step.

Screenshot_2017-09-13-11-58-54.png

I've had mine off before and ended up breaking a few before I figured them out. They're kinda brittle and hard to deal with.
It's been a bunch of years and I forget if they sort a hook in or clip in or what.
Count the number of A and B clips and where they're located as you go.

I ended up putting a few little screws in to put it back on.

I had a big rust hole through the body on both sides hiding under the side steps.

I stared at the diagram then went to check my car.

You remove the fastener and the B clips then the whole molding slides towards the front of the car and all the A clips disengage.

All the A clips are hidden under the molding and you don't deal with them directly

Don't try to move the molding up or down... Just straight towards the front.. The rear of the molding might catch and you'll have to pull it out of the way a bit.

Back