Where to put GT 20" wheel if you have flat and a full trunk?

tdman

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
Where to put 2017 CX-9 GT 20" wheel if you have a flat and a full trunk?

According to Mazda you suppose to put it in the trunk with the cover raise, well what if your car is max out with people and cargo and you have a flat, where can you put the 20" wheel? Anyone here got a flat and have to deal with this issue? (uhm)

Last edited:
Where to put GT 20" wheel if you have a flat and a full trunk?

According to Mazda you suppose to put it in the trunk with the cover raise, well what if your car is max out with people and cargo and you have a flat, where can you put the 20" wheel? Anyone here got a flat and have to deal with this issue? (uhm)
Since you need the temporary spare out so you have to remove everything in the trunk anyway. You put your flat back in the spare tire well and use longer tie-down bolt supplied to secure it. Then you put everything back in the trunk.

Make sure your temporary spare is properly inflated at 60 psi. Most of time it came low at 40 psi from factory. And the tire pressure will fluctuate a lot due to seasonal changes, hence take the spare out and check the tire pressure more frequently is important.

More important issue on spare tire is Mazda gives us a smaller-diameter T155/90D17 101M for larger 255/60R18 107H or 255/50R20 104V road tires to save some pennies. Unfortunately wrong-sized / smaller-diameter spare tire could ruin the AWD system as stated clearly in our owner's manual!

The 2017 GT 20" wheel does not fit into the spare tire well flat, so I cannot put everything back after remove the spare and put the flat into the trunk. According to the manual, the cargo cover that hide the spare wheel has to be raise and the 20" sit upright strap in using the strap provided. So if I have a full trunk and passengers I guess the luggage has to go on people lap or invest in a roof box. I think this is Mazda oversight or maybe they hope you can call for Mazda road side service when you have flat and can fix it.

I read through the CX-5 thread and I am a bit confused, would the wheel and tire mentioned in the first post also work for a 2016+ CX-9?

Same problem with the original model - full size wheel not able to be stowed in the spare tire carrier and must be placed inside the cargo area.

Interesting reading here with a solution/hack:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...pare-with-a-roadworthy-spare-Story-why-inside

Well this would work as some members mentioned from the thread above but the 2017 CX-9 spare is in the cargo area not under the car like the original so there's no where to put the 20" but inside. I just hope I can fix it if I have a flat or call for tow in the middle of no where.

Well this would work as some members mentioned from the thread above but the 2017 CX-9 spare is in the cargo area not under the car like the original so there's no where to put the 20" but inside. I just hope I can fix it if I have a flat or call for tow in the middle of no where.

When that happened to us, I did have a completely packed cargo area with zero room for the flat. So that left only one option, the roof rack. Luckily I did have a couple bungies to strap it down with. I will also mention I've not had a single issue since modifying the tire carrier and keeping a full size spare under the vehicle.

Last edited:

Have your wife hold it in her lap, of course.

Back