10,000 mile service - dealer or alternative option?

The cabin filter replacement is indicated at 10K miles?
Oh I forgot...other people's environment is less dusty than mine. 10k and my cabin filter needs replacement. It depends on your environment. I go through 2 filters per every 10k miles.
I believe that's too extreme with the recommended maximum replacement interval at 2 years or 30,000 miles on cabin filter. But it won't hurt to replace the cabin filter more often if you feel you can get better filtered air other than spending more money. But I was wondering if you replace your engine air filter that often as it breathes the same air. ;)

Notice that the cabin filter came from factory is a charcoal filter which looks black and dirty even if it's brand new. Don't throw away too early by the look and you won't be able to get the same OEM charcoal cabin filter in the US as Mazda USA doesn't offer that for US customers.

I believe that's too extreme with the recommended maximum replacement interval at 2 years or 30,000 miles on cabin filter. But it won't hurt to replace the cabin filter more often if you feel you can get better filtered air other than spending more money. But I was wondering if you replace your engine air filter that often as it breathes the same air. ;)

Notice that the cabin filter came from factory is a charcoal filter which looks black and dirty even if it's brand new. Don't throw away too early by the look and you won't be able to get the same OEM charcoal cabin filter in the US as Mazda USA doesn't offer that for US customers.

I buy my filters for less than $5 each. I can buy 6 filters for under $30 total to last a year for 2 cars. I should post pics on how dusty they get! I purposely buy white ones so I can gauge just how dirty and clogged they are. In Phoenix our ACs are running full time and full blast more than most folks. I mean today its going to be 106 degrees outside.

Engine filters are AEM dry panel. I only need to clean them 1x 6 months.

My 10,000 miles service is due for my 2016 cx5(attn). Is it always better to service at dealership ? The dealership charge is $117 for this. I feel its costly.(boom02)
Is there any alternative service place other than dealers? If we service in other places, will the service details reflected in my car's VIN history?
What do you guys suggestions?

Would it not be better to service it yourself? My kids were changing oil by 9yrs old. It's not rocket surgery, maybe inconvenient but not insurmountable and certainly not a mysterious dark art.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-110-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-Soft/3693910
http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-filter-moly-oil.html

So you have a one time cost of tools, $45. If you expense that over the first oil change ($45) it ran you $90 for your first lesson and oil change.

Subsequent oil changes: $45.

You get to look at the rest of the undercarriage, boots, bushings etc. and begin to figure the complexity (or simplicity really) of your chosen steed.

Oh, Mazda wants to you to lube the hinges and locks every oil change. A can of White Lithium grease (what I have on hand) or whatever grease you choose should run $5 and last 199,999 miles. For the key lock you can buy a tube of dry lube graphite for $5, but when I can't find my graphite (grrrr) I just scrape some pencil lead on the key and run it in the key hole. I figure the pencil should last 199,999 miles too.

Doing you own maintenance, when you learn how, you develop a low pressure at ease Zen like relationship with your transportation. OK, not really but it is a good thing and fun IMO.

Warranty? Just keep the receipts and log the mileage.

Last edited:
Capture.PNG

Cabin Filter after 3 months. New cheapo $5 filter next to it. Whats cool is the cheapo filter has sturdier plastic and crispier/thicker paper element than the OEM filter.

Last edited:
View attachment 217446

Cabin Filter after 3 months. New cheapo $5 filter next to it. Whats cool is the cheapo filter has sturdier plastic and crispier/thicker paper element than the OEM filter.
If the dirty cabin filter to the right is not your OEM charcoal cabin filter from factory, yeah it's worth a new $5 replacement. Where did you get that cheapo $5 cabin filter?

Here are different OEM cabin filters available, and don't throw your factory charcoal cabin filter away too early just because it looks "dirty"!

Went to Mazda dealer yesterday and took more pictures on 2016.5 CX-5's new charcoal cabin filter from factory, Mazda genuine non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X, and Mazda Value Products non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X-MV. From the comparison picture below we can see the picture you posted earlier is Value Products with white plastic frame instead of black. Value Products cabin filter is about $10 cheaper than Mazda Genuine Parts on list price.

attachment.php

View attachment 216193

If the dirty cabin filter to the right is not your OEM charcoal cabin filter from factory, yeah it's worth a new $5 replacement. Where did you get that cheapo $5 cabin filter?

Here are different OEM cabin filters available, and don't throw your factory charcoal cabin filter away too early just because it looks "dirty"!

The dirty one pictured, it was originally a clean white filter sourced from Parts Plus for $7-9 or so. That picture was after I tapped the dirt and leaves off and vacuum brushed it. If needing a newer filter right away at a cheap cost away I recommend their filters. Nothing against OEM filters, I just can't afford them at the rate I'm changing them.

I experimented with the $5 dollar made in China filter (I suspect all Asian Car filters are made in China?) via ebay. It was actually $4.xx cents but ehh round up to $5. I figured what do I have to lose but $5. Takes a while to get to your home hence another reason to order in bulk. Thoroughly surprised. Pros: fits, works, cheap. Cons: not charcoal.

Update: Wife quit her work on the farm. Took a job in the city. Less dusty commute now :)

Next project: Clean the ducts, blower, drain lines, and evaporator with Frigi Fresh or Klima-Cleaner type foaming cleaners. The CX-5 is 5+ years old now. I recently cleaned/shampooed the seats. Need to clean the duct work now.

Last edited:
Back