10,000 mile service - dealer or alternative option?

sangs

:
mazda
My 10,000 miles service is due for my 2016 cx5(attn). Is it always better to service at dealership ? The dealership charge is $117 for this. I feel its costly.(boom02)
Is there any alternative service place other than dealers? If we service in other places, will the service details reflected in my car's VIN history?
What do you guys suggestions?

MZD dealers can be costly. If you ask about price before scheduling - they give you cheaper. Also ask for Mazda Moly. She is very good.
End of Suggestions.

Just change the engine oil and rotate tires. Buy the cabin filter and change yourself. We'll help ya.

10K?
oil change. tire rotation.
Cabin filter? 15K maybe, easy to check.
You can buy parts online, and snap it in in 1 min.

With synthetic oil, $80 tops.
There are many coupons from dealers at MazdaUSA.com.
Register as an owner under MyMazda.
Then, you can see all the coupons (which you might not even find on their own websites) from dealers near you.
I just had the alignment done to my Mazda3. $49.99.

Avoid the xyz-K sevice deal from dealers. These are designed to rip you off....
Itemize your maintenance. Find coupon for each.
Full circle inspection is always free.

$117's actually not too bad for a synthetic oil change, tire rotation and whatever else. There's nothing special about 10k though, wait until 15 to do an oil change and rotation, and replace the cabin filter yourself for ~$10

The normal service intervals are 7,500 miles, or are in everything I've read.

I see no gain with arguing with that unless you are in the higher / rougher usage groups.

Mazda dealership services are also, to my mind, notoriously expensive. Gotta make sure you lube the doors, after all.

Gotta make sure you lube the doors, after all.
I had $18 for looking for leaks under the hood. I kid you not this was the wording. My car had 6K miles then. I cant imagine for OP it would be - Looking for Floods under the hood.

$117 is not that bad. I recommend getting all the main services done at the dealer. I know a regional service manager. He had a customer who religiously went to dealer for service. Guys tranny blew 2 months after warranty ended. Buddy authorized warranty repair because he had all service done at dealer. Reasoning: they should have noticed it was failing since they serviced it.

$117 is not that bad. I recommend getting all the main services done at the dealer. I know a regional service manager. He had a customer who religiously went to dealer for service. Guys tranny blew 2 months after warranty ended. Buddy authorized warranty repair because he had all service done at dealer. Reasoning: they should have noticed it was failing since they serviced it.

I agree 100%.

If it comes to an issue where you need some goodwill, having all servicing done by the dealer and having established a relationship with the local dealership service adviser stands you in good stead.

I found that with my 10k km service, I supplied the full syn DL-1 spec diesel oil for them to use, the service cost was halved! Even after buying the oil myself I was $50 better off. So I will continue to do that from here on.

I agree 100%.

If it comes to an issue where you need some goodwill, having all servicing done by the dealer and having established a relationship with the local dealership service adviser stands you in good stead.

I found that with my 10k km service, I supplied the full syn DL-1 spec diesel oil for them to use, the service cost was halved! Even after buying the oil myself I was $50 better off. So I will continue to do that from here on.

If you do all of the service at the dealer, they'll be ahead thousands of dollars. Of course they'll have goodwill towards you. You are a cash cow.

If you do all of the service at the dealer, they'll be ahead thousands of dollars. Of course they'll have goodwill towards you. You are a cash cow.

Fixed price servicing is available here now. You can check prices before you book in.

Their prices for routine servicing arent too bad at all, especially if, as I mentioned, you supply your own oil, and dont get sucked into the optional extras they try to upsell.

I've done several of my own oil changes and entered them in the service history on the Mazda owners web site. As long as the work gets done you don't risk voiding the warranty, it doesn't matter who does it.

The cabin filter replacement is indicated at 10K miles?

Oh I forgot...other people's environment is less dusty than mine. I go through 2 filters per every 10k miles. Then again I get them for less than $10 each so I buy like 4-5 at a time.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot...other people's environment is less dusty than mine. I go through 2 filters per every 10k miles. Then again I get them for less than $10 each so I buy like 4-5 at a time.

Normal driving conditions need a new filter 20-30k miles. If you use 4-6 in that time frame, maybe you are driving through storms. Are you a chaser?

Normal driving conditions need a new filter 20-30k miles. If you use 4-6 in that time frame, maybe you are driving through storms. Are you a chaser?

Nah we live in the middle of the desert and in my wife's case whom drives the CX-5 out to her company's farms. She's an accountant and 1x per month drives through the fields and counts haystacks. Extreme dusty conditions.

In my case I drive through the city. A new cabin filter is white. At 2.5k mark its still mostly white, usually tap the dust out and vacuum and reinsert. At 5k mark its dark so I toss it and install a new one. Get them cheap online such as here https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I buy them in bulk and change often. Helps maintain clean cabin air.

Back