liftgate recall - now my hatch doesn't open as far

I have a cx-5 from 2017 and the tail gate lifts a little too high and hits the garage ceiling. I would not mind using the struts that u guys are complaining about. What make and size of strut is it? so that I can change mine to a shorter one.

Page 3-27 of your owners manual.

You can't adjust it huh? I drove around in an Audi Q7 for a couple weeks and that was one feature that seemed like a no-brainer. Not everyone is the same height, ya know?

Too low and I hit my head, too high and my 5'3" wife can't reach it. We found a perfect height and it was all good.

Like I said earlier I have a manual lift tailgate where the tailgate lifts too high and has the tendency to hit the low garage ceiling. I have solved that by restricting the expansion of the struts on both sides by tying a nylon rope on each side that restricts the struts expansion above my own height so that I can stand below the tail gate and and it does not hit the ceiling. I'll post some photos and that will say more than my words. Sorry could not add more than one photo. I have not really got the hang of how to load photos here.

20170914_112905.jpg

Last edited:
Probably better to compare measurements from the top of the bumper or bottom lip of the compartment. Lower tire pressure, more weight in the back, spring wear etc.; too many other variables to compare measurements from the floor.

Latest posts

Back