Traded CX-5 for 2018 Tiguan

:
2018 VW Atlas SEL-P
After almost 84,000 miles, my 2014 CX-5 was starting to burn oil and experiencing other issues (loose and creaking panels and erratic Bluetooth)

Looked hard at the 2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package but decided to get the Tig SEL Premium.

For anyone interested, compared to the top of the line 2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package;

Advantages compared to the 2017 CX-5:
*Auto up/down for all windows & auto close (1 touch close) pano roof
*Digital cockpit
*Android Auto & Apple Car Play
*360 Camera
*Front & Rear parking sensors
*Power folding mirrors with puddle lights
*Ambient lighting
*Passenger side reverse gear auto-tilt

Disadvantages compared to the 2017 CX-5:
*No H.U.D
*No power passenger seat
*Halogen fog lights
*No Auto-hold
*No seat warmers for 2nd row

Loving the car and after my 2013 CX-5 and 2014 CX-5, it was time to move on. I will still lurk in the forum reading posts as I really like the Mazda brand.

if you don't mind, what was the cost of your new VW?

More than once, since buying our CX-5, I've wished that I would have taken a harder look at the Tiguan.

ya when i bought my 17' cx5 i was surprised that only the driver side window was auto up/down. I was expecting it maybe to be offered with the tech. package that i got. Same goes with the power folding mirrors. I know they were trying to keep the weight low and lower to the ground (thats why they didnt offer the Pano. roof). But these other small things should of been available as extra, or priced with the Tech. Pack slightly higher. I would still paid for it.

More than once, since buying our CX-5, I've wished that I would have taken a harder look at the Tiguan.

Loaded like he is describing is $37.5K for FWD and $38.5K for AWD. Not sure how much discount you cant get on V-dubs anymore, but roughly $5K more expensive MSRP than loaded CX5.

Looks like it has grown about a foot in length and now has 3rd row seat for kids and should have lots of cargo room. About 400 LBS heavier than CX5 with same HP but more torque.

We were looking for a 4wd vehicle to replace our 2009 bmw e91 and we test drove Toyota rav4, both petrol and hybrid model, Hyundai sportage, VW tiguan, Skoda kodiak, Hyundai tuscon and after many hours and days of trying out different modell of each of them, the choice fell on Mazda cx 5 2017 petrol model and having driven 600 km during the weekend we do not regret one bit. Tiguan was too noisy, both road and engine noise filters in to the interir and VW quality even before the diesel gate was questionable. Their customer service sucks here in Sweden. I am sorry having owned both a VW golf and BMW before I can say that German cars have inflated egos without the reliability to go with it.
Mazda cx5 has great road stability, noise reduction, exact steering, nice interior and consumes less than my bmw e91.

Last edited:

Sure, no problem. I paid invoice price minus $500 (I have the 4Motion but no 3rd row) (VW Partner Program) through my employer. They took my cx5 for 10K (it was paid off) plus 395 for gap insurance

Hope that helps

Long time GTi owner here (on my third) so I love veedubs. Didn't look at the new Tig because it was above my price point. It does have the digital dash out of the Audis and a turbocharged engine which means for a few hundred dollars, you can tune it for another 30-40 wheel horsepower and similar torques.

Enjoy it. It's a great car.

Here are the pics, drives nice. The fender sound system is much better than the Bose I had in my CX-5. The start-stop is a bit "weird", still trying to get used to it. I still have much to read, these owners manuals are like encyclopedias now!

0910171406a_zpsnw4n5boe.jpg

0910171406_zpsnehbbkyv.jpg

Think you're missing some Tig/Vdub disadvantages imo but pretty nice looking vehicle there- good luck!
Btw more helpful would have been:
Ttl msrp
Invoice
Paid

Congrats on the new car.
I had a 08" VW Rabbit, before the CX5.
I'm not a fan of the new VW fronts. To squarish for my taste.

Looks dated to me from the front, but I will still test one when it comes to change, DSG hasn't the best reputation in the UK, which is something else to consider.
And the 2017 cx5 has beaten the tig in a group test, beat the Skoda too.

Enjoy the new car.

One advice on the power-folding mirrors.
Do not let water get in.... (such as in an auto carwash)

Sure, no problem. I paid invoice price minus $500 (I have the 4Motion but no 3rd row) (VW Partner Program) through my employer. They took my cx5 for 10K (it was paid off) plus 395 for gap insurance

Hope that helps

Thanks but I was hoping for your actually number.

Nice looking car!

Thanks but I was hoping for your actually number.

Nice looking car!

Well, based upon the posts, I would say he paid 37-38K plus tax. Honestly, I think Mazda should make a premium CX-5 with everything for 38K (bigger engine as well!).

Back