Tire dilemma - 2016 CX-5 GT

Curses, you've uncovered our dastardly plot! All that work to make driving safer was really just a front to extract money from the masses.

(Did you know we use 0W20 oil in the tire formulations? Shhh, don't tell anyone...)

I think once the lawyers got involved, (google lawsuits when tire dealers put new tires on front) it became a cover-your-ass situation for all tire manufacturers and tire dealers. It also happened to benefit both tire manufacturers and tire dealers (in the name of safety), so it really was a no-brainer for them to push this policy.

Here is a good read on how this whole "new tires on rear" got started in the early 2000's when a law firm that specialized in vehicular personal injury lawsuits had a link on Wikipedia when searching oversteer/understeer.

How a bogus Wikipedia entry changed nationwide tire company policy
http://shallowsky.com/blog/misc/wikipedia-tire-company-policy.html

Last edited:
4/32 after only 13k miles? Rough roads...

Get the LTX. And discount tire's replacement certificates.

His roads must be as "rough" as mine here in PA. I have logged 14.5K miles on my original Toyo tires since new in July 2015 and the yearly vehicle inspection yesterday revealed that I have only 5/32 left on the front and 6/32 left on the rear.
I was not happy to hear that!

His roads must be as "rough" as mine here in PA. I have logged 14.5K miles on my original Toyo tires since new in July 2015 and the yearly vehicle inspection yesterday revealed that I have only 5/32 left on the front and 6/32 left on the rear.
I was not happy to hear that!

I replaced mine at 35k.

So do we know what OP ended up going with?

As for the ongoing debate about putting new tires on the front or back with regards to hydroplaning, here is an interesting video showing crashes from hydroplaning. What is alarming here is seeing cars driving straight then all of a sudden, they oversteer. There are a few crashes that showed understeer, but the majority of the crashes in this video are due to oversteer after the tires hydroplaned.

https://youtu.be/i-JJnfWb7QU

I replaced mine at 35k.

Good for you. I'll have to replace mine at 1/2 your mileage and I can assure you I don't do burn outs. I check the pressure very frequently and I also rotated the tires twice in 14.5K so my conclusion is that the TOYO are junk and I'll pick another brand when I replace them. I expected to put more than 17,500 miles on them.

Last edited:
Good for you. I'll have to replace mine at 1/2 your mileage and I can assure you I don't do burn outs. I check the pressure very frequently and I also rotated the tires twice in 14.5K so my conclusion is that the TOYO are junk and I'll pick another brand when I replace them. At more than $250 a pop, I expected to put more than 17,500 miles on them.

Like I said... rough roads. Also self check your tread, you know... "trust but verify".

Only time I've seen premature wear was when I had a blown shock on my 2006 3 and didn't realize it. That car ate shocks.

Back