Tire dilemma - 2016 CX-5 GT

silvercx

:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT - Sonic Silver - Tech Package
Just my luck, I caught a screw in the shoulder of my stock Toyo. The only area where you can't patch/plug tires. It's also a bit concerning as I only have about 4/32 tread left and I've only driven around 13k miles.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma. Should I replace one tire only or replace all tires?

• If I replace that particular tire, the tread depths will be all off. My alternative is replacing all four tires from Costco.
  • My Costco don't seem to carry 225/55r19 tires so I was going to go for some 235/55r19 Premier LTX. OTD price is around $902. I did read some posts where people managed to get 225/55r19 from Costco, but there doesn't seem to be availability online.
What do you guys think I should do?

You can get a used tire with the same tread depth.

You can buy 1 new tire and have it shaved to your other 3 tread depths.

you can buy 4 new tires...

However with only 4/32" left, you are on the last miles of the tires...

Here are some examples of used ones avail on ebay...

For example, here is a 4/32" depth 225 55 19 Toyo
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Here is another auction for another used tire with 4/32"
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
just buy one new tire, you'll be fine man. you're clearly more concerned about striking a good deal with some low performing commuter tires from costco, don't waste your time changing all 4.

when it's time for you to get new tires all around, I would invest in some performance Yokohama tires like the advan sports, s drives, avid envigors, etc. these tires are brilliantly tuned to Mazda's chassis and results in great steering feedback, excellent grip in both dry/rain and amazing chassis balance.

if you don't care about how your tires perform, buy the cheapest thing you can find from a reputable brand.

Is Costco the only place you can get tires? Look around some, there are other choices.

I agree. Check Tire Rack or Discount Tire.
Those two places are always recommended at the other forum I am a member and the customer service is great. Drop them a line or a call.

If it was my car, I would replace TWO tires and buy a pair of highly rated tires for mounting on the rear. Look at tirerack reviews. Also, if you are going to use non-OEM sizes, make sure you pay attention to tire diameters otherwise, you will have speedometer error. For example 235/55R19 will cause more speedometer error than 235/50R19. 245/50R19 would be even better.

just buy one new tire, you'll be fine man. you're clearly more concerned about striking a good deal with some low performing commuter tires from costco, don't waste your time changing all 4.

when it's time for you to get new tires all around, I would invest in some performance Yokohama tires like the advan sports, s drives, avid envigors, etc. these tires are brilliantly tuned to Mazda's chassis and results in great steering feedback, excellent grip in both dry/rain and amazing chassis balance.

if you don't care about how your tires perform, buy the cheapest thing you can find from a reputable brand.

I have to disagree with this bad advice....or maybe you missed the fact he has AWD... Buying one new tire is not recommended.

I have to disagree with this bad advice....or maybe you missed the fact he has AWD... Buying one new tire is not recommended.

Mazda includes a the same size spare tire of completely different diameter for the AWD versions as well, give it a break. A slightly less worn tire isnt going to do anything to your AWD system. If you want to play it safe, have the new tire shaved to the correct size like someone else mentioned. Why the hell would you get new tires on a basically new car?

Mazda includes a the same size spare tire of completely different diameter for the AWD versions as well, give it a break. A slightly less worn tire isn’t going to do anything to your AWD system. If you want to play it safe, have the new tire shaved to the correct size like someone else mentioned. Why the hell would you get new tires on a basically new car?

So you are saying that it is OK to drive with 3 tires that are 4/32" and 1 tire that is 10/32"?

The owners manual specifically states otherwise.
The tire industry states otherwise.
The automotive industry states otherwise.
The wisdom of science and physics state otherwise.

With the minimum tread depth being 2/32", and You having 4/32", you really only have 2/32" of useful service life left remaining on the other 3.

But you have to think of the fact that you used 6/32" of the treads 8/32" of useful life...

Prudent and knowledgeable experts will recommend 4 new tires.

The frugal person, who needs to get these tires through one more winter, can get by with replacing the 1 bad tire with an EXACTLY IDENTICAL used tire.

Last edited:
4/32 after only 13k miles? Rough roads...

Get the LTX. And discount tire's replacement certificates.

The Premier LTX the OP refers to is not a "low performing commuter tire" you seem to assume. It's a Michelin tire with excellent reviews.

So you are saying that it is OK to drive with 3 tires that are 4/32" and 1 tire that is 10/32"?
Just FYI, our OE 225/55R19 Toyo A23 has 9/32" tread depth when new.

I agree with you, at least getting a same tread depth used one if the OP really doesn't want spend $902 for a new set of Michelin Premier LTX.

That wrong-sized spare tire argument Mazda put it in for our AWD owners is irrelevant. That's the way Mazda is trying to cut corners, and those temporary spare is only intended for very short distance of driving with the speed under 55 mph!

Just FYI, our OE 225/55R19 Toyo A23 has 9/32" tread depth when new.

I agree with you, at least getting a same tread depth used one if the OP really doesn't want spend $902 for a new set of Michelin Premier LTX.

That wrong-sized spare tire argument Mazda put it in for our AWD owners is irrelevant. That's the way Mazda is trying to cut corners, and those temporary spare is only intended for very short distance of driving with the speed under 55 mph!
Ok, thank you, when I checked Tire Rack new specs for that tire, they said : 9.8/32"

Just my luck, I caught a screw in the shoulder of my stock Toyo. The only area where you can't patch/plug tires. It's also a bit concerning as I only have about 4/32 tread left and I've only driven around 13k miles.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma. Should I replace one tire only or replace all tires?

• If I replace that particular tire, the tread depths will be all off. My alternative is replacing all four tires from Costco.
  • My Costco don't seem to carry 225/55r19 tires so I was going to go for some 235/55r19 Premier LTX. OTD price is around $902. I did read some posts where people managed to get 225/55r19 from Costco, but there doesn't seem to be availability online.
What do you guys think I should do?
What you should do is go to your local Costco and have them order a correct-sized set of 225/55R19 Michelin Premier LTX tire for you. This size is available from Costco and many people had done that.

That's the $902 option. A cheaper way is getting a different brand of tires from a tire store such as Discount Tire. Also highly rated General AltiMAX RT43 can be had for about $120 less.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

IMO Michelin Premier LTX is one of the best in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire category with 2 deficiencies: higher price and low maximum inflation pressure rating at 44 psi while others including OE Toyo tire are rated at 51 psi.

And your OE Toyo A23's have only 4/32" tread depth left which are toward the end of service life anyway. Getting a new set of tire with another 60,000+ miles of service life "guaranteed" would be a better choice for you.

Or you can always take mazdadude's excellent advice getting a used Toyo tire which cost you a lot less right now, but you'll be facing the same dilemma finding new tires again within 5,000 miles based on your tirewear rate on your OE Toyo's! (whistle)

Ok, thank you, when I checked Tire Rack new specs for that tire, they said : 9.8/32"
When I physically checked the OE Toyo A23 tires on my brand-new CX-5 with only 3 miles on odometer, they all have 9/32" tread depth. In fact I'd say 8.8/32" to be exact! (boom08)

And my Toyo A23's now have about 5/32" tread depth at 20,000 miles with constant tire pressure checking at 39 psi and routine tire rotation once every 5,000 miles. Pretty soon I need a new set of tires too.

If it was my car, I would replace TWO tires and buy a pair of highly rated tires for mounting on the rear. Look at tirerack reviews. Also, if you are going to use non-OEM sizes, make sure you pay attention to tire diameters otherwise, you will have speedometer error. For example 235/55R19 will cause more speedometer error than 235/50R19. 245/50R19 would be even better.

You really need a wider wheel than the stock 19X7 if you are going to go with 245/50R19.

I'd just buy 2 new and put them on the front. Save the good tyre in case something similar happens in the future.

You really need a wider wheel than the stock 19X7 if you are going to go with 245/50R19.

Strongly agree.

Just because a 235 tire fits on a 7inch rim, does not mean it should be on a such a thin wheel. Youre going to get a balloon effect and handling will not feel as tight. You want the tire to fit as square as possible.

I would not go past 225 on a 7 inch rim. Hell even a 245 tire on 8 rim is pushing it. Generally, this is the ideal tire sizes:

7 - 205
8 - 225
9- 255
10- 275

You can give or take a tire size, but these will be the most ideal fit.

The general rule is: for tight corners and good low speed handling you want the tire to be nice and tight on the wheel. A wider tire is best for relaxed driving and high speed straight line. Get a wider wheel if you want to properly expand the contact patch.

Last edited:
Strongly agree.

Just because a 235 tire fits on a 7inch rim, does not mean it should be on a such a thin wheel. You’re going to get a balloon effect and handling will not feel as tight. You want the tire to fit as square as possible.

I would not go past 225 on a 7 inch rim. Hell even a 245 tire on 8” rim is pushing it. Generally, this is the ideal tire sizes:

7 - 205
8 - 225
9- 255
10- 275

You can give or take a tire size, but these will be the most ideal fit.

The general rule is: for tight corners and good low speed handling you want the tire to be nice and tight on the wheel. A wider tire is best for relaxed driving and high speed straight line. Get a wider wheel if you want to properly expand the contact patch.
Your recommendation differs from this post which says that you can mount the 245/50R19 on the standard 19x7 rim: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841230-CX-5-Tire-Fitments

Also, if you are only replacing two tires, you generally want the new tires on the REAR. This is even more important when the new tires are wider, to reduce oversteer.

Your recommendation differs from this post which says that you can mount the 245/50R19 on the standard 19x7 rim: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123841230-CX-5-Tire-Fitments

Also, if you are only replacing two tires, you generally want the new tires on the REAR. This is even more important when the new tires are wider, to reduce oversteer.

Thats simply outrageous, you will not get the footprint of a 245 tire on a 7 rim. Just because something fits, doesnt mean it fits well...

The best tires on the rear is a load of s*** and recommended by tire companies so you have to replace your tires more often. There was a very thorough thread somewhere on here where this was explained in depth.

ALL of your tires should have sufficient tread to reduce the chances of a skid, but these are FWD based vehicles. Many of you dont even have AWD to begin with, meaning the fronts are steering, braking and accelerating while the rears just follow the front axle. Even with AWD, I believe this system simply stays FWD biased until they begin to lose traction. So why the hell would you want the rear tires, which do absolutely nothing to have more traction?

Obviously you want neither unless you are a driver capable of properly correcting a skid, but what would you rather have, oversteer which is predictable and gives you every chance in the world to correct your intended line and continue on, or watch as your car understeers toward the curb?

Obviously you want sufficient tread in the rear, but the better tires should ALWAYS be on the front unless youre just trying to change your tires more often and satisfy the tire companies.

Back