Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tire dilemma - 2016 CX-5 GT

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    +1

Thank you for your knowledgeable scientific experience and input!

It is indeed very troubling to see the horribly incorrect and unsafe advice that was given here by another poster.

Since you are most likely the most qualified poster here yet on this subject:
    In your opinion Gary, what would you recommend the original poster do? Buy 1 used tire, buy 1 NEW tire, Buy 2 new tires, buy 4 new tires?
    You’re a funny guy you know that?

I said to buy a used/new tire and make sure it is shaved to the correct tread as the rest of the tires. I don’t see how this is “bad” or incorrect information.

You always want the best tires to be on the front, unless you’re trying to satisfy the tire companies. Another poster explained all about this.

Funny how you say my information is incorrect, yet you say wrongly advise everyone that the Mazda MZI motor was designed by ford. You’re literally a moron..

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    I did not give anyone any advice, thank you very much! Please dont misrepresent others.

I simply outlined my own experience.

In those extensive tests done by manufcaturers, how did cars with new (or better) tyres on the rear go in straight line emergency braking tests in the wet, compared to new tyres on the front?
    Good point, and you won't find any tests for wet weather emergency braking distances with new tires on front vs rear from the tire manufacturers. They only try to whip the rear end around on a wet track.
    Last edited by bigtex; 09-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    I did not give anyone any advice, thank you very much! Please dont misrepresent others.

I simply outlined my own experience.

In those extensive tests done by manufacturers, how did cars with new (or better) tyres on the rear go in straight line emergency braking tests in the wet, compared to new tyres on the front?
    My post was not directed at you. Sorry if it appeared that way.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post

I said to buy a used/new tire and make sure it is shaved to the correct tread as the rest of the tires. I don’t see how this is “bad” or incorrect information.

You always want the best tires to be on the front, unless you’re trying to satisfy the tire companies. Another poster explained all about this.

Funny how you say my information is incorrect, yet you say wrongly advise everyone that the Mazda MZI motor was designed by ford. You’re literally a moron..
    and you're an immature know-it-all asshole.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post

HUH?? Do I need to go back and quote everything you said to remind you? You are totally false...

You told the original poster to:
    "just buy one new tire, you'll be fine man. you're clearly more concerned about striking a good deal with some low performing commuter tires from costco, don't waste your time changing all 4."

This is bad advice, I do not know any other way to put it to you.
    Last edited by mazdadude; 09-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Tire dilemma - 2016 CX-5 GT

I use my common sense putting tires with a little more tread at front which carry more responsibility on car safety and performance hence wearing faster. This will even out the tread depth better for all 4 tires. We're not talking about putting worn-out tires with less than 2/32" tread depth to the rear.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-5 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I use my common sense putting tires with a little more tread at front which carry more responsibility on car safety and performance hence wearing faster. This will even out the tread depth better for all 4 tires. We're not talking about putting worn-out tires with less than 2/32" tread depth to the rear.
    Agree, common sense goes first always.

You people need to stop being a bunch of sheep and falling for the bullshit that tire companies spew to get more money from all of you. It’s ridiculous..

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Touring AWD

Curses, you've uncovered our dastardly plot! All that work to make driving safer was really just a front to extract money from the masses.

(Did you know we use 0W20 oil in the tire formulations? Shhh, don't tell anyone...)

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
    Good point, and you won't find any tests for wet weather emergency braking distances with new tires on front vs rear from the tire manufacturers. They only try to whip the rear end around on a wet track.
    Indeed, I knew that of course before I posted the question.

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by B-ham Gary View Post
    Curses, you've uncovered our dastardly plot! All that work to make driving safer was really just a front to extract money from the masses.

(Did you know we use 0W20 oil in the tire formulations? Shhh, don't tell anyone...)
    I think once the lawyers got involved, (google lawsuits when tire dealers put new tires on front) it became a cover-your-ass situation for all tire manufacturers and tire dealers. It also happened to benefit both tire manufacturers and tire dealers (in the name of safety), so it really was a no-brainer for them to push this policy.

Here is a good read on how this whole "new tires on rear" got started in the early 2000's when a law firm that specialized in vehicular personal injury lawsuits had a link on Wikipedia when searching oversteer/understeer.

How a bogus Wikipedia entry changed nationwide tire company policy
    http://shallowsky.com/blog/misc/wiki...ny-policy.html
    Last edited by bigtex; 09-13-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123