Intermittent Squeek/Chirp like noise from rear when accelerating

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
Hey guys,

So about a week ago, I started hearing a noise in the rear of the vehicle. I can't get it to make the noise all the time, it is very intermittent, and very brief.

The noise usually occurs when I am accelerating. Never when coasting and never when stopped. It's like a quick little squeak/chirp noise from the rear when I accelerate.

Any idea what that could be? Car doesn't feel like it's driving any differently, so not sure if that's just something that needs to be tightened down, or something more serious?

Thanks.

Something similar happened with my 2016.5 recently. Though I had a chirp when taking my foot off the brake but before hitting the gas, and another chirp when applying the brake again. Not sure if it's the same issue, but I was referred to TSB 04-004/17...however, when I looked this number up I couldn't find anything. There is TSB 04-004/16 that might be the cause of your issue.

Something similar happened with my 2016.5 recently. Though I had a chirp when taking my foot off the brake but before hitting the gas, and another chirp when applying the brake again. Not sure if it's the same issue, but I was referred to TSB 04-004/17...however, when I looked this number up I couldn't find anything. There is TSB 04-004/16 that might be the cause of your issue.
Thanks. I will take a look!

So...before I got a chance to get this looked at, it started going away and is now completely gone.

Still not sure what it was. Something to do with after I got my rear brakes replaced? But then why a noise when accelerating as opposed to braking?

I'm not sure, but I have my 55k service coming up. Going to have the car thoroughly looked over before the 60k powertrain warranty is up.

So...before I got a chance to get this looked at, it started going away and is now completely gone.

Still not sure what it was. Something to do with after I got my rear brakes replaced? But then why a noise when accelerating as opposed to braking?I'm not sure, but I have my 55k service coming up. Going to have the car thoroughly looked over before the 60k powertrain warranty is up.
Actually, this is pretty easy to imagine why. If you have new brake pads and one of them hasn't seated quite right (for any number of reasons), it could be cocked a bit in the caliper and dragging a bit while the car is in motion and the brakes released. Then, when the brakes are applied, the pad becomes better aligned in the activated caliper and the noise goes away while in that position. Not uncommon.

Back