Noise when reversing

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
2012 bought new
83,000 miles

Changed first front pads at 77,000 miles

Rear pad was low then

As I reverse out of garage get groaning noise

Is it rear pad change time ? On rear do rotors need turned ?

IMG_7982.JPGHere is the rear pads

Some meat left

That pad thickness looks fine. Of course, I'm assuming the other three pads on the rear brakes look the same.

My 2013 rear brakes groan, too. Currently, my 5 has 78,200 miles.

At 58,600 miles I replaced my rear pads. One pad wore out much too quickly before the other three did. It irked me, but I think I was doing too much parking brake slow downs and the 5's rear disc brakes don't respond well to that.

Back in early August 2017 (perhaps 73,000 miles) I changed out my rear disc rotors because one was warped and had a pulsing groaning sound when the brakes were lightly pressed while the car was moving. Super annoying.

Just this past week, I noticed the groaning is starting to return again. But it's an even groan and very slight so far.

The best I can tell is that the rotors have to be perfect and the pads have to be new for the 5 to not make groaning noises.

My rear brakes also make a slight groan on initial reverse, or squeal when wet, but it goes away after a bit of use.

Thanks. At 84K miles I haven't touched the rear brakes on this yet. We are the original owners.

Appreciate your post.

That pad thickness looks fine. Of course, I'm assuming the other three pads on the rear brakes look the same.

My 2013 rear brakes groan, too. Currently, my 5 has 78,200 miles.

At 58,600 miles I replaced my rear pads. One pad wore out much too quickly before the other three did. It irked me, but I think I was doing too much parking brake slow downs and the 5's rear disc brakes don't respond well to that.

Back in early August 2017 (perhaps 73,000 miles) I changed out my rear disc rotors because one was warped and had a pulsing groaning sound when the brakes were lightly pressed while the car was moving. Super annoying.

Just this past week, I noticed the groaning is starting to return again. But it's an even groan and very slight so far.

The best I can tell is that the rotors have to be perfect and the pads have to be new for the 5 to not make groaning noises.

My rear brakes also make a slight groan on initial reverse, or squeal when wet, but it goes away after a bit of use.

No squeal here. Just groan. Also no wet here. Car is garaged, and it never rains. So always dry groans :)

I got the groan every morning with the 1st reverse of the day. In the winter, it could be every backup. Don't know the cause, but I would say it is within correct mechanical parameters. Just play your music louder. :)

Back