How To Wash Your Car

Yep, been waxing and taking care of it this year.

One of these days I will get the prior years' issues fixed lol!

I just park in the middle of a cornfield. The next day crop signs appear and my car is waxed.

15 K miles and 1 year. Only handwashed the CX5 twice with Meguiars. My Meguiars kit is on sale and am reverting to ONR. Bought the Wash and Wax. Need to try it. at 5 10 I need a tall ladder = should have bought the shorter 2017. FML

And that doesn't scratch the paint?

Edit: Guess I will look up some videos!

If used carefully, will not. That said I only use it on dusty paint. Not caked on dry mud. Everyone has their own technique. I have mine.

If used carefully, will not. That said I only use it on dusty paint. Not caked on dry mud. Everyone has their own technique. I have mine.

The paint has to be absolutely spotless before you apply something like that if youre going to wipe it. The dust will cause micro scratches on your clear coat.

The paint has to be absolutely spotless before you apply something like that if you’re going to wipe it. The dust will cause micro scratches on your clear coat.

Oh yeah I claybar the paint. Thereafter any bi-weekly/monthy cleaning using the ONRWW makes for an easy process.

I have a garage so I actually cheat and use water. I like to use a hose (no nozzle and no spray). I lightly hose a panel with spout like 3 inches away from paint. This causes minimal watermarks if any and results in a drier surface with minimal loose dirt on paint. I spray some ONRWW on the panel and wipe one way with a microfiber towel soaked in ONRWW. I spend aprox. 3 minutes per panel. I'm good for another 2 weeks upon which car still looks clean but won't pass my finger test. Can go 1 month if it doesn't rain.

I actually use my spray bottle of ONRWW as a detailer for paint, windows, plastic, as well as for clarbarring lubricant.

Just do it the old fashion way:

• Rinse off car first with water via hose
  • Wash with bucket full of soapy water (car cleaning liquid/soap) using a soft cloth
  • Wash off with water via hose
  • Dry with chamois
  • Clean alloys with alloy cleaner
  • Then use relevant tyre shine

Just do it the old fashion way:

• Rinse off car first with water via hose
  • Wash with bucket full of soapy water (car cleaning liquid/soap) using a soft cloth
  • Wash off with water via hose
  • Dry with chamois
  • Clean alloys with alloy cleaner
  • Then use relevant tyre shine

essentially what I'm doing, but I don't bother drying off the car. I drive on the highway for 5 minutes and that actually does the trick quite well lol. easier on the clear-coat

essentially what I'm doing, but I don't bother drying off the car. I drive on the highway for 5 minutes and that actually does the trick quite well lol. easier on the clear-coat

Don't have a highway near me :)

like this. I use AMMO for all my car cleaning. its a little pricey but its worth it.

20690397_10159227315420581_2621150239891354156_o.jpg

crnkdeja, great job on your car. Looks amazing.

I've been waiting for the right moment to start on detailing mine. Too many weather events with these hurricanes and other storms to schedule the effort. I've got a lot to do and estimate at least two days to prep the car. I purchased a bottle of Carpro Cquartz so I need to get the prep work right and the weather needs to be right in order for the coating to cure. Plus I've got to convince my wife to park her new car in the drive at least one night so that mine can stay dry.

Bad thing is that mine is white so when it is detailed it doesn't look as amazing as the red or other darker colors when they are detailed. But I hope with coating it will take less effort cleaning for about a year or so. I have a coworker that is into detailing and recently did his GTI with Cquartz. It is has been a couple months since he did his car and even after driving in Atlanta wet roads it looks detailed.

I've tried the "dry by highway driving" method and I'm not impressed. You pick up a lot of dust over those 5-10 miles, which ends up accumulating on any remaining water on the surface leaving a lot of spot cleaning left to be done.

I'll spend the extra 10 minutes drying with microfiber towels.

I've tried the "dry by highway driving" method and I'm not impressed. You pick up a lot of dust over those 5-10 miles, which ends up accumulating on any remaining water on the surface leaving a lot of spot cleaning left to be done.

I use a leaf blower to dry all wheels and tires within 5-7 minutes. Can also be used on windows, grille crevices, door knobs, license plate, water trapped in rear reflectors, headlights, and rear lights. For paint I just use MF towels.

This. Plus if you just clayed....

You need to buy some quality microfiber cloths for this method not to cause damage to the paint. I got mine from the Rag Company. Eagle Edgeless. Soak them in the bucket with the water and rinseless wash. Take one out, wring it out and fold into quarters. Make one or 2 passes with each quarter. The goal is to use on a fresh side for each pass. I used 5 the last time I did a wash. You also need a decent drying towel to dry off the panel.

The whole point is to use a "new" rag each time you clean a section. The 2 bucket method where you rinse the wash mitt off after each pass can leave debris in the mitt that can damage the car paint. The rinseless wash is way faster and you essentially dry the car as you go. Previously, I would take a leaf blower to dry it off and that left lots of waterspots and made a tremendous racket. I think for people living in tighter confines, rinseless wash is the way to go! It's also really fast!

Back