How To Wash Your Car

I've never seen anything other than conjecture regarding paint thickness and don't believe that the Japanese don't do what other global makers do - apply it in accordance with the paint manufacturers recommendation. I've seen some dreadful examples of German and French car paintwork. It scratches and chips like any other if it isn't treated right.

I generally agree with your comments here. Go to any internet car forum and you'll find the same complaints about "thin paint", regardless of maker. I have to say though, I've been impressed with the paint on my wife's Z4. It appears that BMW applies an extra heavy coat of clear which does seem to make it a bit more impervious to damage while giving it that "wet" look.

My jeep had nearly 100k miles. I had 2 or 3 chips. My cx5 has a bit over half that. Many more chips. Also, 2 windshields had to be replaced already. It's a trend...

like anchorman said, it could just be bad luck. I have 50k miles on my car and the paint looks absolutely brand new, zero issues with flaking chipping or whatever.

Not really unob. That could just be bad luck. If you go on other forums they are all complaining of the same thing. I've got a TSB on the glass of the new model somewhere if it helps you decide about choosing one.

I use a do-it-myself car wash. Soap>rinse>Spot free rinse. Nothing too special. I wax the complete vehicle with NuFinish in the spring and the hood again in the Fall. My vehicles look great for the 10 years or so that I own them. Ed

you don't wipe the soap into your paint before rinsing, correct? because this can scrub contaminants into you clear-coat and scratch it. when you build a layer of wax on your paint, all the dust and dirt comes right off with a quick rinse so you aren't scratching your clearcoat when you use the soap. (unless you're not scrubbing, but just applying soap which may not clean as effectively)

What about using something like TopCoat?

http://topcoatpolish.com/SHOPSITE/product1.html

the fact that is doesnt have any chemicals is great because most car-waxes are not chemical free.

If it has good reviews, I see nothing wrong with using this stuff. I am just curious to see if it holds up as well over the long-run like wax does.

I've never seen anything other than conjecture regarding paint thickness and don't believe that the Japanese don't do what other global makers do - apply it in accordance with the paint manufacturers recommendation. I've seen some dreadful examples of German and French car paintwork. It scratches and chips like any other if it isn't treated right.

agreed. it depends on how well the owner cares for the paint more so then anything else.

with that being said, I have read some complaints that BMW for example with their lower models <5 series has a lower quality paint/clearcoat then the more expensive models.

but I see absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of the paint on my Mazda 6. it has a great looking finish to it and is holding up well with no chipping or damage. I just dont understand what all the fuss is about.

We may not be able to take things of this world with us in the end, but we all have something to keep us occupied in the mean time.

+1. There will always be a very thin layer of film on there no matter how many washes it goes through. Plus all the contaminants on the sides and lower rocker panels. Touchless car washes are nice to help keep the elements from building up on your vehicle, especially during the winter.

I understand people have time constraints and limitations but hand washing gives the best results every time.

strongly agree.

I have went through an automated car wash before and the sides of the car was still dirty. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

and honestly, I just think Freys comment is nothing short of ignorant. reminds me of the people driving around my area with 2 years of salt and dust baked onto their paint.

I select the nano wax when I go through the car wash! [emoji41]

It's a Mazda! [emoji23]

I select the nano wax when I go through the car wash! [emoji41]

It's a Mazda! [emoji23]

you have a boring ol' CUV and then the M4 which is totally out of Mazda's league, so you must think im crazy when you see how passionate about the Mazda 6, which is far better suited to the NA 2.5 and handles beautifully with involved and nimble handling. the liquid-silver paint is good enough of a reason on it's own to care this much for the exterior of Mazda ;)

294qrf9.jpg

you have a boring ol' CUV and then the M4 which is totally out of Mazda's league, so you must think im crazy when you see how passionate about the Mazda 6, which is far better suited to the NA 2.5 and handles beautifully with involved and nimble handling. the liquid-silver paint is good enough of a reason on it's own to care this much for the exterior of Mazda ;)

294qrf9.jpg

Full disclosure, I wash the M4 the same way.

334a308f6c5ee91805c26be3a9c6b668.jpg

Last edited:
There are less machine car washes around here now. Most people take their cars to professional hand wash places. Some might be good, some not so.

You losers got 3 pages out of how to wash a car. Ya'll need help. Is it the same to wash a CRV? idiots

You losers got 3 pages out of how to wash a car. Ya'll need help. Is it the same to wash a CRV? idiots

If they prefer to take special steps to protect their investment and have their vehicle look good, what's the problem? If you want to clean yours with a Brillo pad, your choice.

As far as washing another vehicle is concerned (no specific make or model) sometimes it's best to also wear dark glasses to protect your eyes from some of the ugly contours and excessive chrome you may encounter.

Do you like parking close next to others and dinging the sides with your door?

Hahahahaha.... oh man.. the retardation is wrong with this one. I guess some people simply care about more then others? Or maybe he just couldnt afford to buy his car flat out like the rest of us so hes not too concerned about the paint on his lease?

Freys sounds like the type of dude that washes his car with a snow brush in the rain.

Bad weekend?

If they prefer to take special steps to protect their investment and have their vehicle look good, what's the problem? If you want to clean yours with a Brillo pad, your choice.

As far as washing another vehicle is concerned (no specific make or model) sometimes it's best to also wear dark glasses to protect your eyes from some of the ugly contours and excessive chrome you may encounter.

Unintended pun there Brillo? :D

I wish I would have known better when I first got my CX-5 in 2013. At this point it's had a few years of bad car washes, etc. and definitely has swirl marks. I at least try to keep it from getting worse and take care of it now. One of these days I will get the paint corrected to get rid of the swirls, and I still need to buff out a couple of problems on the passenger side rear door. Luckily can't tell unless right up close to it.

And as rare as it is, I'll agree with Uno. My hood has got to have like 20+ rock chips on it.

Oh man, I dont think youve seen the newest Honda Accord yet...

Bad weekend?

It doesnt seem like this guy ever has a good weekend...

Unintended pun there Brillo? :D

I wish I would have known better when I first got my CX-5 in 2013. At this point it's had a few years of bad car washes, etc. and definitely has swirl marks. I at least try to keep it from getting worse and take care of it now. One of these days I will get the paint corrected to get rid of the swirls, and I still need to buff out a couple of problems on the passenger side rear door. Luckily can't tell unless right up close to it.

And as rare as it is, I'll agree with Uno. My hood has got to have like 20+ rock chips on it.

Well, if you buff/detail your paint and then make sure to always have a layer of wax on your paint and carefully avoid excess swirl marks your paint will look amazing and protect the cars sheet metal for a long time. The beauty of having a clearcoat is that its never too late.

Latest posts

Back