How To Wash Your Car

Anyone live in an area that has hard water problems? The first time I washed mine at my house it looked worse after the wash because of the hard water where I live. The only way I found to get rid of the water spots was by using a claybar, which is a long elbow grease time consuming process.

I was hoping someone had a recommendation for a hard water filter to use inline at the water hose.

Anyone live in an area that has hard water problems? The first time I washed mine at my house it looked worse after the wash because of the hard water where I live. The only way I found to get rid of the water spots was by using a claybar, which is a long elbow grease time consuming process.

I was hoping someone had a recommendation for a hard water filter to use inline at the water hose.

I used to have the same problem way back when. Drying the car is the easiest way to avoid water spots from washing. Using a quick detailer during the drying process helps as well. Get a good drying towel.

Solution = Keep car wet. Wipe car with a damp MF towel, a quality one too.

So my new cx-5 got it's first car wash today; did it myself. While washing I noticed 3 small chips on the hood(ugh)! What should I do now? Hearing all the negative things about the paint, I'm wondering if perhaps I should wax it, even though it's only two months old and wax pretty frequently? Which wax?

Thanks!

I don't think so, it's down to white spots. What type of clear coat and how often? What should I do first? Clear coat or wax? What is the best product?

Thank you!

I used to have the same problem way back when. Drying the car is the easiest way to avoid water spots from washing. Using a quick detailer during the drying process helps as well. Get a good drying towel.

I dry my car right away, but my house water has way too many minerals. Do you have any advice for keeping spots away from glass? I clayed my car paint to get rid of most of the spots, it seemed like nothing else worked. I think I'll be taking my carwash supplies to the carwash and just use their water. I'm not sure I can do much to my own house water other than to buy an expensive water softener and that may not be worth it.

I dry my car right away, but my house water has way too many minerals. Do you have any advice for keeping spots away from glass? I clayed my car paint to get rid of most of the spots, it seemed like nothing else worked. I think I'll be taking my carwash supplies to the carwash and just use their water. I'm not sure I can do much to my own house water other than to buy an expensive water softener and that may not be worth it.
Yeah. Minerals stink.

But even at the car wash, I have to dry my car fast or it gets spots too. As for the glass, I usually follow up with cleaning them with some Sprayaway.

Here are a few things you should consider...
- The vehicle will be difficult & time-consuming to wash unless it is properly sealed/protected (synthetic sealant on painted surfaces, glass treatment on glass, trim coating on black plastics). Once you've done this, most water will bead up and roll off the car. What is left will not dry quickly & leave water spots, allowing you to dry it with a quality microfiber.

- Always wash your vehicle in the early morning or late evening, in the shade, when it is relatively cool outside. Never wash it in the sun.

- If you are still having trouble, wash AND dry the top half of the vehicle(roof and all glass), then move onto the bottom half.

Buy some optimum no rinse blue version and dilute it. 10-25% ONR to distilled water in a spray bottle. Then spritz the windows before you dry them off. Also if you want to spend tons of money go to reddit.com/r/autodetailing and get lost in the advice.

Buy some optimum no rinse blue version and dilute it. 10-25% ONR to distilled water in a spray bottle. Then spritz the windows before you dry them off. Also if you want to spend tons of money go to reddit.com/r/autodetailing and get lost in the advice.

Thanks for the tips on the optimum no rinse. I'll need to look into that, it sounds like using the method described by ONR I may be able to say goodbye to water spots for good. It even looks like it works on windows as well!

I washed my 3 week old brand new CX-5 last night and the paint is essentially toast already. It has those circle marks from the dealer car wash, and lots of random scratches. I didn't see this when I bought the car, but am amazed by the condition after driving 1,000 miles.

I would be upset about it but figure it's inevitable anyways.

I guess every one here can follow in the footsteps of this Australian Mazda owner (lol2)

Back