2017~2024 Brand new truck with spongy/soft brakes.

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
When our truck only had 12 miles, it already had soft brakes. I was very surprised. After buying it and having ~300 miles now, it's still the case.

We've test drove dozens of trucks before settling on this one and we didn't experience it with any of the others.

Have any of you experienced a soft brake pedal on your newly purchased CX-5?

Get it right! It's obviously a minivan!! (burnout)

heh

Last edited:
I've noticed the brake seems to require more travel thens gets a bit sensitive, compared to other vehicles I have driven a few times; 2011 f150, vw bug,and bmw x5. I think the aftermarket autoexe brake brace is supposed to alter the travel/force.

Get it right! It's obviously a minivan!! (burnout)

heh

ROTFLMAO.gif

You haven't driven a car with spongy brakes until you have driven a GX 460. :) They work well when pressed but initial travel is alarming if you have never driven one. I initially thought something was wrong but discovered even the new ones feel like that. They are dual piston calipers on the front too.

When the 1st "SUV" arrived as a Ford Bronco in the 80s, they were called trucks. "SUV" was a marketing word to better separate it for buyers, but it still is a truck.

Not calling it a truck is like saying a white guy isn't white.

"uh, well no, I'm not white. I'm German, Italian, Native American."
"uh no, I'm not black. I'm Congo, Nigerian."
"my CX-5 is not red, it's Soul Red Crystal"

Shut up. You're white and you're black, the color is red, and the CX-5 is a truck.
Everybody, get over yourself and every stop being so anal and annoyingly superior.

You're talking about a 2017 CX-5? I wrote a review for it last week. My main complain is softer brake pedal compared to the 2016 CX-5.

Contrary to belief by a few people on this forum, IT IS a truck.

What is your definition of a "truck"? The CX-5 shares the same platform as the Mazda6, so I wouldn't call it a truck. It is like a lifted up Mazda6 hatchback.

You're talking about a 2017 CX-5? I wrote a review for it last week. My main complain is softer brake pedal compared to the 2016 CX-5.

What is your definition of a "truck"? The CX-5 shares the same platform as the Mazda6, so I wouldn't call it a truck. It is like a lifted up Mazda6 hatchback.

Platforms have been shared for years and between manufacturers.
The unknown looker wouldn't know that. It looks like a truck.

However, a Subaru Crosstrek actually looks like a car, that's lifted.

If you were to really generalize, there are
CARS
TRUCKS
MOTORCYCLES

The CX-5 is a truck. All SUVs are trucks.

"SUV" is only a name created in the last ~20yrs, to better define the market, and to make buyers feel like they aren't buying a F150.

Contrary to belief by a few people on this forum, IT IS a truck.

I was not meaning any offense to you, it just was not clear in your first post if you were comparing another truck to the CX-5 or if you were calling your CX5 a truck.

I, myself, have never heard of the CX-5 being called a truck.

Here are the traditional definitions that separate the terms

A Truck will have a frame / chassis.
A SUV uses a truck chassis.
A CUV/Crossover uses a car unibody chassis.

Last edited:
Platforms have been shared for years and between manufacturers.
The unknown looker wouldn't know that. It looks like a truck.

However, a Subaru Crosstrek actually looks like a car, that's lifted.

If you were to really generalize, there are
CARS
TRUCKS
MOTORCYCLES

The CX-5 is a truck. All SUVs are trucks.

"SUV" is only a name created in the last ~20yrs, to better define the market, and to make buyers feel like they aren't buying a F150.
SUVs that are based on truck platforms, I would consider them trucks. So SUVs that are using the same platform as F150s, yeah those could be called trucks. SUVs that are using passenger car platforms, I don't call them trucks. That's just my take on it.

I was not meaning any offense to you, it just was not clear in your first post if you were comparing another truck to the CX-5 or if you were calling your CX5 a truck.

I, myself, have never heard of the CX-5 being called a truck.

Here are the traditional definitions that separate the terms

A Truck will have a frame / chassis.
A SUV uses a truck chassis.
A CUV/Crossover uses a car unibody chassis.
Ah so that's how SUV and CUV are differentiated.

When the 1st "SUV" arrived as a Ford Bronco in the 80s, they were called trucks. "SUV" was a marketing word to better separate it for buyers, but it still is a truck.

Not calling it a truck is like saying a white guy isn't white.

"uh, well no, I'm not white. I'm German, Italian, Native American."
"uh no, I'm not black. I'm Congo, Nigerian."
"my CX-5 is not red, it's Soul Red Crystal"

Shut up. You're white and you're black, the color is red, and the CX-5 is a truck.
Everybody, get over yourself and every stop being so anal and annoyingly superior.

Wow, sounds like someone got their panties in a bunch!

You're right, I'll try not to be so anal and annoyingly superior. I'll try hard to remain just superior.

Truck, SUV and COVs. I thought an SUV was built on a truck frame and a COV was built on a car platform. However; the terms seems to have been polluted by magiazens and manufactures. Ed

It was my understanding that the CX-5 platform is from Mazda 3.

It's just that the CX-5 is taller but they are almost me the same width.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...oZyq_N5awIgPlIJpuZiKdfAdkV7uu_uqb0tqKs8zLbfww

It was my understanding that the CX-5 platform is from Mazda 3.

It's just that the CX-5 is taller but they are almost me the same width.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...oZyq_N5awIgPlIJpuZiKdfAdkV7uu_uqb0tqKs8zLbfww

It's from the 6 platform, which is wider than the 3. We own both and its quite noticeable. Mazda uses a sort of modular system for their platforms so they seem to be able to easily tweak them here and there.

Also your picture is of a CX-5 next to a CX-3. The CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2, which is smaller than the 3.

Back