Protecting the intercooler with a mesh screen

7rh

:
2011 accord
Protecting the intercooler with a mesh screen (2016/17 CX-9)

I noticed the intercooler at the bottom has no protection from road debris (2016). Has anyone explored how to add a screen mesh to help the poor guy out?

A fine mesh would be bad idea for cooling reasons, but I'm sure a mesh would help any future repair costs of a leaking intercooler.

Last edited:
So I attempted this today without success. I did remove the front engine splash guard. But there there is another piece of plastic which I couldn't figure out how to remove without breaking it. I'm going to attempt inserting something without any access from below.

I've owned dozens of cars w/very large fmic's. Yours isn't a valid mechanical concern (if that's what it is), I've never had any of my intercoolers get damaged from road debris. At worst, I've seen some bugs in there and a few bent fins after years of driving. You can wash the bugs out with a hose and get a $4 fin straightener for the fins. Not worth the effort- I'd rather save up and do a larger fmic if anything get's damaged. This paired with the ugly look of a screen in front of a great looking intercooler is a waste (to me at least).

Back