Low visibility headlights (very dim)

JusFlako

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hello,

I am new here and just recently purchased a used 2008 Mazda CX-9. The headlight projection is very dim, low visibility at night, its def a problem.

The SUV had some regular old halogen bulbs in them so I swapped them for some new LED ones, but it's pretty much the same thing. I have never had projector headlights so this is new to me. I have looked thru this forum as well as google.

Can installing HIDs help this or do I have some type of electrical problem. I have checked the vertical aim on them and it seems fine, not sure you can check horizontal on these headlights. How common can it be that both of the ground wire is bad at the same time? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I know on my 2010 the headlights sucks and it seems to be what most people say about these vehicles. I love everything else about my CX9 except for how dim the headlights are. I'm installing the hids in it next week and I hoping that helps mine. I do know some leds aren't really that bright in the headlights depending on color you get and brand. Hope any of this helps.

I know on my 2010 the headlights sucks and it seems to be what most people say about these vehicles. I love everything else about my CX9 except for how dim the headlights are. I'm installing the hids in it next week and I hoping that helps mine. I do know some leds aren't really that bright in the headlights depending on color you get and brand. Hope any of this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, let me know when you do. I should be ordering some by next week or in 2 and will provide and update

A common reason for dim headlights in an older car is a poor quality ground connection. Find that, clean any corrosion and dirt off, sandpaper it lightly to bright metal on both the wire connector and the point on the body it attaches to, and reattach fairly tightly. Check all the connectors, positive and negative. They all need to be clean, dry, and tight. There are several anti oxidant electric joint compounds that chemically clean the contacts and improve conductivity. GB Ox-Gard is one, NOALOX is another, there are others. These are conductive, so use very sparingly only on the contacts, not the insulators. Silicone dielectric grease is not a conductor and not recommended for contacts.

Lots of non-stock type replacement bulbs cost a lot and don't throw a lot more light on the road where you need it. Is the original bulb H11? An H9 can be modified to work and puts out more light, 2100 lumens vs. the original 1350 lumens. The H9 will have a shorter life.

I have the same issue with my '08. In fact, the right low beam keeps burning out bulbs so, I assume there is a grounding issue somewhere. I am thinking of upgrading it to leds though. The stock is just so dim.

A common reason for dim headlights in an older car is a poor quality ground connection. Find that, clean any corrosion and dirt off, sandpaper it lightly to bright metal on both the wire connector and the point on the body it attaches to, and reattach fairly tightly. Check all the connectors, positive and negative. They all need to be clean, dry, and tight. There are several anti oxidant electric joint compounds that chemically clean the contacts and improve conductivity. GB Ox-Gard is one, NOALOX is another, there are others. These are conductive, so use very sparingly only on the contacts, not the insulators. Silicone dielectric grease is not a conductor and not recommended for contacts.

Lots of non-stock type replacement bulbs cost a lot and don't throw a lot more light on the road where you need it. Is the original bulb H11? An H9 can be modified to work and puts out more light, 2100 lumens vs. the original 1350 lumens. The H9 will have a shorter life.

I will try that, thanks. The bulb is an H11. Sorry for the late reply, just had a Hurricane down in FL so just getting back to the swing of things.

I have the same issue with my '08. In fact, the right low beam keeps burning out bulbs so, I assume there is a grounding issue somewhere. I am thinking of upgrading it to leds though. The stock is just so dim.

The LEDs I upgraded to were not much of a difference either. Guess it doesn't matter what bulb it is, if there is a grounding issue

The factory xenon headlamps on my 2008 are the best lights I've ever had on any car. On the flipside, the halogen factory projectors on my 2013 Nissan Altima were the worst headlights I have ever had. Bulb sits pretty far from the glass refractor and the seal is terrible...light bleeds into the back of the headlamp housing and did not all get through the projector lens. I bought new factory H.I.D. headlamps from Nissan as I couldn't stand it. Tried 35 watt h.i.d. conversion kits first from amazon in my halogen housings, but it did not improve light output, only color. So I bought actual h.i.d. headlamp assemblies from Nissan.
--
But regarding the CX-9, the halogen low light issue may just be how they lamp assemblies are designed. I have noticed other CX-9's with halogen headlights and the light does not appear very bright. Perhaps a 35 watt h.i.d. conversion kit may help or l.e.d. plug in units they are making these days. Just have to be careful with the l.e.d. bulbs because when the little fans stop working, you could potentially burn down your car.
Your other option could be to find oem xenon lamp assemblies on ebay, or from salvage yards. But likely you would have to modify the wiring harness and adapt the wiring to connect to the headlamp, which is what I had to do on my Nissan. Although the factory cx-9 xenon lamps have electronic height adjusters, if you were to buy xenon lamps for your non-grand touring CX-9, you can still aim the headlamps manually. It is pretty easy and very accessible under the hood.
But my personal opinion about low light output is not a grounding issue. Unless it is just one side and not both.

The factory xenon headlamps on my 2008 are the best lights I've ever had on any car. On the flipside, the halogen factory projectors on my 2013 Nissan Altima were the worst headlights I have ever had. Bulb sits pretty far from the glass refractor and the seal is terrible...light bleeds into the back of the headlamp housing and did not all get through the projector lens. I bought new factory H.I.D. headlamps from Nissan as I couldn't stand it. Tried 35 watt h.i.d. conversion kits first from amazon in my halogen housings, but it did not improve light output, only color. So I bought actual h.i.d. headlamp assemblies from Nissan.
--
But regarding the CX-9, the halogen low light issue may just be how they lamp assemblies are designed. I have noticed other CX-9's with halogen headlights and the light does not appear very bright. Perhaps a 35 watt h.i.d. conversion kit may help or l.e.d. plug in units they are making these days. Just have to be careful with the l.e.d. bulbs because when the little fans stop working, you could potentially burn down your car.
Your other option could be to find oem xenon lamp assemblies on ebay, or from salvage yards. But likely you would have to modify the wiring harness and adapt the wiring to connect to the headlamp, which is what I had to do on my Nissan. Although the factory cx-9 xenon lamps have electronic height adjusters, if you were to buy xenon lamps for your non-grand touring CX-9, you can still aim the headlamps manually. It is pretty easy and very accessible under the hood.
But my personal opinion about low light output is not a grounding issue. Unless it is just one side and not both.

If they is true regarding the design, it is a horrible design. The LEDs I bought did not help visibility, just color. I am gonna order a 35 watt KENSUN hid conversion kit next week, hopefully this helps.

I haven't checked the ground yet, but I do not think it is the ground cause the issue is BOTH headlights. Do not know how common it'll be a ground issue on both headlights, like I said in the first post. I hope the HID will help, the other options ARE WAY TOO expensive. On eBay, xenon headlamp assemblies range from $300-$700 (RIDICULOUS) from what I see and I haven't seen CX-9s at all in junkyards. But we will see, first step would be the HID conversion kit.

Does anyone know where the ground wire for the headlight is? I am tracing the connector back but its going back into the headlight assembly unless I am looking at it wrong?

Did anyone who did the HID conversion kit help? I recently bought a 2011 CX 7 and the headlights are extremely dim. We cleaned and wet sanded the lenses and upgraded to brighter led bulbs still dark as heck. So my husband got the HID conversion kit.

I know this is an old thread but did the hid kit improve the dim lights? I’m also debating about purchasing a Kensun or Morimoto HID H11b kit or OEM Xenon headlamps.

I have same problem with our 2011 CX-7. Bulbs are dim, and blow frequently. Just installed LED bulbs and they are no brighter, slightly whiter, but almost no visibility. With as many issues as there are on this thread, should be a recall on it.

I ended up purchasing a hylux 35 hid kit with morimoto xb h11b bulbs in 4300k amd the difference is very noticeable. But found out my right projector bowl is burnt so im thinking of retrofitting some 4tl-r projectors.

Back