Show your support and Donate!
Show your support and Donate!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticking sound from drivers side wheel well

06 Mazda 5 Sport 160000Mi

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

P. S. Drained 3 quarts of tranny fluid and replaced with new along with some lubeguard platinum and some Mobil one. Old fluid was dark but didn't smell burnt or anything.

Registered Member

That will be nice if it's something simpler with the rear and you don't have to replace the drivers cv axle. Glad you got the passenger side all fixed up.
    2006 Mazda5 Sport, 130K miles

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

Well, I replaced cv shaft on both sides now and the transaxle seal on the left side. Took tires, brakes and rotor off on left rear. Turned the hub by hand and heard a definite grinding noise coming from the rear wheel bearing hub assembly. That has probably been the source of my ticking noise. Thank you bsedgal for suggesting my rear tires as well. Could have sworn it was coming from the front. Guess I'll be replacing both rear hubs in a few weeks. 😡 Oh well, it least it is nice to know where the noise is coming from. Thanks for your responses. I will up date as soon as I have those replaced.

2009 Mazda5 Sport

Good luck!

Are you sure that the ticking isn't a wheel weight hitting a suspension piece? You said new wheels, and very few people get wheels thinner than OE, so there is a good chance your backspacing decreased to the point it is hitting something like the ABS sensor, or, since yours is <10 years old, the TPM sensor (have no idea where the receiver is, I roll old skool).
    06 Mazda5 Touring 5MT
    04 Volvo V70 T5 MT
    00 Odyssey EX
    93 Subaru Legacy L (replaced by Mazda5)
    90 CRX 5MT (Happy Trails)
    90 T-Bird SC 5MT (RIP)
    84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z clone (RIP)
    68 Plymouth Barracuda notchback Slant Six (RIP)

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

Thanks thaxman. I have a day off coming up in 3 days. I will take a look at that. If the weights are hitting the abs sensor, I am asumeing that I should see some damage on the weights or sensor. Iíll report back next week.

Quote Originally Posted by 06Mazda5 View Post
    Thanks thaxman. I have a day off coming up in 3 days. I will take a look at that. If the weights are hitting the abs sensor, I am asumeing that I should see some damage on the weights or sensor. I’ll report back next week.
    Nah, probably not. just feel around with weight on the suspension (so use ramps) searching for very low clearance spots by the inside wheel rim.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

I thought the noise began after running something over and persisted even after getting new tires. Not sure why you guys are talking about the new tires being the cause.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

I donít own a set of ramps, but I was able to take a close look for any clearance issues. Every thing looks ok. I might want to add, that I donít hear the noise when I first start driving. It usually take about 10 to 15 minutes of driving before the sound appears. As if something needs to ďwarm upĒ before it starts to tick. Itís the same weather I warm up the engine or hop in the car and drive without warming up the engine. Donít know if that helps. Also, the ticking is definitely coming from the rear of the vehicle. When I drive pass a concrete barrier, I can hear the tick even after my front tires pass the barrier and I hear it until my rear tires pass. I mean to say that I hear it all the time, it is just louder when I pass by something that the noise can reflect off of and it is louder to me then. I have not been able to change the rear wheel hub assemblyís yet. Still shopping around. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good hub assembly. Iím leaning toward Moog because of the cost. Are they any good? Thanks for all your feedback.

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by bsedgal View Post
    I thought the noise began after running something over and persisted even after getting new tires. Not sure why you guys are talking about the new tires being the cause.
    I hit something when it was cold outside and replaced all the rims and tires not long after that. I mentioned me hitting something because I thought it might be relavent. I didnít hear the noise until about 3 months later, when it warmed up and I could roll down my windows. The ticking could have been there before my accident, I just wasnít able to hear it because my windows were up. The sound could have started when I hit something on the freeway, Iím just not positive when the sound started.

Maybe the brake dust shield. If not I am out of ideas

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

If you guys are interested, I posted a couple of videos on my YouTube channel. I put a link to my channel as my home page, which you can view in the full mazdas247 view. One is of the ticking noise while I’m driving and the other is a sound I could hear in my transmission. The second video is before I changed my cv joint, but after I replaced it I could still hear that sound. I was wondering if that sound is normal. Thanks.

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
    Maybe the brake dust shield. If not I am out of ideas
    The dust shields have clearance at least on one side, I’ll check the other side soon. Guess I should buy some ramps.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda 5

Quote Originally Posted by 06Mazda5 View Post
    If you guys are interested, I posted a couple of videos on my YouTube channel. One is of the ticking noise while I’m driving
    Ticking timebomb?

2006 Mazda 5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Vasy View Post
    Ticking timebomb?
    My head feels like a bomb that is about to explode if I canít figure this out. So it could be a ticking bomb. 😁

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast