Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by rmasselle View Post
    Great post. Is this the same for 2018 CX-5?
    Yes, same for 2018 and 2019

Registered Member

Questions ~~!! Please Help~!
    I own a used car, and just start chaning the brake the first time in my hand for this car.
    I saw the rear piston plastic ring twisted. Does it mean it was previously pushed back by rotating the piston ? Or the piston will twist in its normally usage but for some reason the plastic part doesn't twist the same time as the piston twist and ending twisted plastic ring?
    I want to fix it but not sure if it's ok to twist the piston for the purpose.

Another question, I know the piston should align with the little knot on the brake pad. Doesn't it mean the piston normally can't rotate when applying brake? If it's the case, why it need to be design in a way there seems a way to rotate it, while we shouldn't?

Sorry for so many questions. But I am curious about why it shouldn't be rotate and how the rotation actually work for this brake.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by key3904 View Post
    Questions ~~!! Please Help~!
    I own a used car, and just start chaning the brake the first time in my hand for this car.
    I saw the rear piston plastic ring twisted. Does it mean it was previously pushed back by rotating the piston ? Or the piston will twist in its normally usage but for some reason the plastic part doesn't twist the same time as the piston twist and ending twisted plastic ring?

"plastic ring" ? do you mean the dust boot around the grooved piston ? this is a picture I got off the internet, it's not the CX-5
    but you get the idea
    I assume you are refering to the rubber seal (also called dust boot) around the piston. If your's is twisted, the previous owner may have rotated the piston instead of using the maintenance mode to push it straight back, it's best to try to "untwist it" since it may be stretched and causing too much stress that it may rip as the piston gets extended

I want to fix it but not sure if it's ok to twist the piston for the purpose.
    you can try to un-twist it if you unbolt the caliper assembly and press on the brake pedal to extend the piston out so it's easier to straighten out the dust boot, use a flexible plastic spatula so to work the dust boot back to normal, use the plastic spatula https://tintdepot.com/product/shank/ and be careful not to cut or rip the dust boot rubber OR I think you solution might be better, engage maintenance mode and that will back off the motor and you can rotate the pistion back and "untwist" the boot, this is actually in the manual that once you engage the maintanence mode, you're allowed to rotate the piston. what year is your CX-5 ? only 2016-2019 have maintenance mode.

Another question, I know the piston should align with the little knot on the brake pad. Doesn't it mean the piston normally can't rotate when applying brake? If it's the case, why it need to be design in a way there seems a way to rotate it, while we shouldn't?

I believe it doesn't rotate if coming out, and you don't rotate to get it back in, you need to engage maintenance mode to back off the motor, once it back off the piston can go back and forth straight, you do not rotate, you only rotate very little to make sure the groove lines up with the pin on the back of the brake pad. If you don;t line it just right , you will hear a loud clanking sound every time you break, see my post #22, https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...c-brakes/page2
    this happened to me, I didn;t adjust it correctly and it was a little offset and the piston kept pressing on the pin instead of the rear pad... the clanking noise was the piston slipping on the pin and slapping the rear pad

I think this groove was just a carry over of old CX-5's before 2016, any CX-5 before 2016 had the manual hand pull brake and no electronic parking brakes and those needed to rotate to get the pistons back, in 2016-2019 CX-5's you must enter maintenance mode first , if not and you just push back with a C-clamp you may break the motor and that's a huge repair bill.

Sorry for so many questions. But I am curious about why it shouldn't be rotate and how the rotation actually work for this brake.
    Last edited by blackcx5; 09-21-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Registered Member

It's a 2016 CX-5. And yes, I am talking about the piston boot in picture.
    I use a spreader tools to push it back,
    ----
    Capri Tools Swivel Brake Pad Spreader Tool
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ----
    Is the piston boot sealed?

It sound like I can enter maintenance mode, rotate the piston in direction to untwist the boot and also keep the notch pointing directly up, then push it back directly without rotate. Feel like it's a safer way without risking cut it.

Thank you for answering my question. Will try to do it later today.

Update - seems it improve braking a bit. Is it possibly the reason ?
    Last edited by key3904; 09-22-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345