Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Registered Member

My CX-5 is a 2016 and the TSB does apply. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if they will update the rear calipers, but the car is out of warranty with 75k mi on it.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    It's unfortunate that many DIYers don't aware the rear brake pad replacement procedure is different between the one with Electrical Parking Brake and without. Just like in earlier days some didn't aware the rear disk brake can't just push the piston in like the front, but also have to turn it.

In your situation IMO you should have no problem to use the foot brake, but the EPB won't be functioning which of course is not a safe-driving situation. And if nothing unusual happens and there's no leak from the real calipers, the piston seal should be fine. But if you have a 2016 CX-5, you may also want to consider getting newer version of the rear brake calipers as the original calipers are having dragging issues based on Mazda's TSB.

I wonder how difficult or how costly to replace the broken EPB wire connector ...

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Here are US VIN ranges:
    US (2016 MY) MEXICO (2016 2017 MY) JM3 KE **** ** 600015 - 866136

Mine is under the 866136 VIN range. I am going to be doing a test on this. I am out of warranty in August end.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Here are US VIN ranges:
    US (2016 MY) MEXICO (2016 2017 MY) JM3 KE **** ** 600015 - 866136

Mine is under the 866136 VIN range. I am going to be doing a test on this. I am out of warranty in August end.
    You have 2016.5 and your CX-5 is in the TSB VIN range? When is your manufacture date?

If I were you, I'd go to Town North Mazda as they're fully aware of the TSB, and they're more willing to replace rear calipers if they see any sign of uneven wear on disk pads, especially if you can talk to their master mechanic.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

You have 2016.5 and your CX-5 is in the TSB VIN range? When is your manufacture date?

If I were you, I'd go to Town North Mazda as they're fully aware of the TSB, and they're more willing to replace rear calipers if they see any sign of uneven wear on disk pads, especially if you can talk to their master mechanic.
    I see no symptoms. No dragging or noise. My rotors look ok. Can't hesr any noise. I will still get it checked at my dealer. Hope the at least inspect fully.

Arrow Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

I see no symptoms. No dragging or noise. My rotors look ok. Can't hesr any noise. I will still get it checked at my dealer. Hope the at least inspect fully.
    In my case at 25K miles right before 3 years my rear brakes were having no dragging or noise symptom too. But I went ahead to have service advisor checking the rear brakes for one of 10 final warranty checkups and fixes. The first round the tech who was doing all the work stated there's nothing wrong on rear brakes. Unlucky for the tech he screwed up 2 easy fixes and I used that as a reason to have the master mechanic to double check rear brakes as I really don't want the potential EPB problem after warranty ran out. The master mechanic checked rear brakes again and found different thickness on inner and outer disk pads on both sides, and went ahead performed the TSB under warranty.

What I'm trying to say is you may not have any symptoms, but dealer's attitude will make big difference whether or not you can get revised rear calipers to avoid later EPB problem.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

In my case at 25K miles right before 3 years my rear brakes were having no dragging or noise symptom too. But I went ahead to have service advisor checking the rear brakes for one of 10 final warranty checkups and fixes. The first round the tech who was doing all the work stated there's nothing wrong on rear brakes. Unlucky for the tech he screwed up 2 easy fixes and I used that as a reason to have the master mechanic to double check rear brakes as I really don't want the potential EPB problem after warranty ran out. The master mechanic checked rear brakes again and found different thickness on inner and outer disk pads on both sides, and went ahead performed the TSB under warranty.

What I'm trying to say is you may not have any symptoms, but dealer's attitude will make big difference whether or not you can get revised rear calipers to avoid later EPB problem.
    Ok. I will give it a shot. My dealer does not do warranty work on Saturdays. So it has to be weekdays yikes.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

That got me thinking is there a list of TSBs that I should focus on for a 16.5 CX5? Something I am not aware of but might get smacked later??
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

yrwei - if you can blank out personal info and show me the invoice or paperwork for Town North maybe I have a better chance that my dealer would entertain it. I know you are in Cali now - it would be great if its possible.

yrwei - if you can blank out personal info and show me the invoice or paperwork for Town North maybe I have a better chance that my dealer would entertain it. I know you are in Cali now - it would be great if its possible.
    PM sent.

Registered Member

Great post. Is this the same for 2018 CX-5?

Registered Member

I dodged a bullet for sure. I unplugged the electric parking brake. Then replaced the rear pads as normal, turning the caliper back into position. I could hear the motor turning on the ebrake too. When I put it all back together, including plugging the e-brake back in, and went for a ride. The parking dash light was on. The parking switch was flashing and the brake light on the dash was flashing too! I started reading this thread and figured I was screwed. Well, I put the car into maintenance mode and then back out of maintenance mode and it works!! whew...

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

This is what we need to do to change rear brake pads and, this is called progress? What a crock of stuff. Ed

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Wait so Maintenance mode = push piston back and not turn it? this makes it easier if so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234