Guide Maintenance Mode for 2016 / 2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

:
2016 CX-5
ok folks,

I tried to make a video but it's too hard for this procedure, I needed to use both hands, so I'll write up a detailed procedure based on the Mazda PDF's provided by Anchorman (much thanks) see post # 12 of this link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861543-2016-cx5-rear-brakes

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

(I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

(I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.

Last edited:
oh boy, F' me, I screwed up, I had the squeaking rear brake symptoms so took apart the brake assembly but was not aware of this maintenance mode

I didn't change the original pads just took them out to put grease on and blow off any brake dust but when putting back the calipers the piston was a bit tight so I turned my rear piston with Lisle #28600 (still paying attention to the grooves lining up so the peg on the disc pad lines up into a groove.....)

so far no issues, I can still hear the EPB motor working fine and if I release the brake pedal without releasing the EPB the car doesn't move so I know the EPB is working....

but still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling, I hope me turning the pistons didn't foul up the motor in the long run. In the future I will go into maintenance mode and compress the piston back like the fronts with this tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I think with most (if not all) manufacturers moving to EPB, these spinning tools with various groove/dimple attachments will be obsolete....https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Many thanks to tomcat1446 for another nice write up for this important piece of info missing from the Factory Service Manual Chris_Top_Her was giving out. I was tempted to ask Anchorman to repost his EPB PDF files in this How-To section otherwise his excellent post will get buried and hard to find eventually.

oh boy, F' me, I screwed up, I had the squeaking rear brake symptoms so took apart the brake assembly but was not aware of this maintenance mode

I didn't change the original pads just took them out to put grease on and blow off any brake dust but when putting back the calipers the piston was a bit tight so I turned my rear piston with Lisle #28600 (still paying attention to the grooves lining up so the peg on the disc pad lines up into a groove.....)

so far no issues, I can still hear the EPB motor working fine and if I release the brake pedal without releasing the EPB the car doesn't move so I know the EPB is working....

but still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling, I hope me turning the pistons didn't foul up the motor in the long run.
If your EPB and rear brakes still work properly I believe you didn't damage the rear calipers as the caution says it "could" damage them when you push the piston while rotating.

Caution
If the piston is pushed into the caliper while rotating the piston, the caliper internal parts could be
damaged. Be careful not to rotate the piston when pushing the piston into the caliper.

Yep I bought this fancy rear brake tool set but used it only once on my VW Passat. It'll be obsolete very soon with the popularity of the EPB!

153858d1270317501-tool-push-rear-brake-caliper-cylinders-caliper-tool-set.gif

Many thanks to tomcat1446 for another nice write up for this important piece of info missing from the Factory Service Manual Chris_Top_Her was giving out. I was tempted to ask Anchorman to repost his EPB PDF files in this How-To section otherwise his excellent post will get buried and hard to find eventually.

I can add the file but as with many TSBs, there is a lot of stuff in it not really relevant to the main point. I think Tomcat has summarised it quite well but Ill add it if you wish.

One thing I would add. After ending the maintenance mode, there are no more settings to be made regardless of how worn the pads are. The motor sets the correct clearance automatically. Its a cracking system.

Last edited:
Something else you guys will need to know at the relevant time. After changing the oil on the 2.2D, the oil maintenance data MUST be reset. Without doing so, the sensors that check oil viscosity will start to throw up warnings about the oil being out of spec and needing changing immediately. Once again, Mazda have provided a means for us to do it and it its not unlike the EPB procedure but takes place in the fuse box. I will post it up when the time comes (or pass it to Tomcat who does a really nice job!!!).

you're very welcome both to you yrwei652 and Anchorman for posting the PDF's, I had a hard time figuring out all the nuances, Mazda instructions were too convoluted, I had to run it thru many times until I finally understood what they were trying to say..... like having to press start button twice for ignition on, and need brake pedal to release EPB, just follow my simplified instructions in red and 2016/2017 CX5 owners will have no issues.

you're very welcome both to you yrwei652 and Anchorman for posting the PDF's, I had a hard time figuring out all the nuances, Mazda instructions were too convoluted, I had to run it thru many times until I finally understood what they were trying to say..... like having to press start button twice for ignition on, and need brake pedal to release EPB, just follow my simplified instructions in red and 2016/2017 CX5 owners will have no issues.
Yeah those Mazda documents sometimes feel like they simply feed their original Japanese version through a Google translator. Doing a write-up, especially a responsible one like yours with easy-to-understand instructions and many pictures to boot, is not easy! We know you've actually spent more time than obvious to contribute and we really appreciate that. And I've said before, I'm always looking forward to seeing your write-ups and enjoy reading them. They are very useful to our community such as this particular one!

just FYI, over the weekend decided to do some routine brake maintenance before winter sets in and they start salting the roads, ie remove any dust, clean rotors, lubricate pads, check pins. After only one year the rotors were basically rusted on to the hubs... The fronts were especially hard to get off the OEM rotors were stuck on, even tried putting a long screw into the empty threaded hole to get them off. It wouldn't budge. had to hammer the hell out of them with a rubber mallet to get them off.... just a heads up for those who never had them serviced before to have a look. I added some anti seize between rotor and hub some hopefully next time it won't be such a pain in the neck.

Last edited:
just FYI, over the weekend decided to do some routine brake maintenance before winter sets in and they start salting the roads, ie remove any dust, clean rotors, lubricate pads, check pins. After only one year the rotors were basically rusted on to the hubs... The fronts were especially hard to get off the OEM rotors were stuck on, even tried putting a long screw into the empty threaded hole to get them off. It wouldn't budge. had to hammer the hell out of them with a rubber mallet to get them off.... just a heads up for those who never had them serviced before to have a look. I added some anti seize between rotor and hub some hopefully next time it won't be such a pain in the neck.

Yep, imagine what I had to go through after having them on after 60k miles, virtually welded themselves to the hub...

Many thanks for all the great information particularly the simplified method to enter and exit maintenance mode for the EPB. I just did the rears on the CX5 and the job went extremely well. I did use that 'fancy' rear brake tool, just used the blank head that does not spin the piston but simply presses it in. My old school c-clamp method would not have worked due to the placement of the motor for the EPB. Made the job very simple and efficient. Thanks again to everyone for all the great information posted here.

Something else you guys will need to know at the relevant time. After changing the oil on the 2.2D, the oil maintenance data MUST be reset. Without doing so, the sensors that check oil viscosity will start to throw up warnings about the oil being out of spec and needing changing immediately. Once again, Mazda have provided a means for us to do it and it its not unlike the EPB procedure but takes place in the fuse box. I will post it up when the time comes (or pass it to Tomcat who does a really nice job!!!).

Thanks, yes, I was aware of the requirement to reset the oil data. The owners manual here in Aus highlights the need to do that, and includes details on the procedure to do it. This seems to be a alternative/replacement procedure instead of the one involving the fuse box that I see referenced on internet posts.

It is as follows. Note that the trip selector referenced is the stalk on the dash that you press to reset trip distances in the odometer and can also be used to adjust dash backlight.

1. Switch the ignition OFF

2. Switch the ignition on (2 presses of start button) with the trip selector pressed, and hold the trip selector about 5 seconds until the master warning light (triangle with exclamation mark inside) flashes.

3. After the master warning light flashes for several seconds, the initialisation is completed. Let go trip selector button. Done.

Last edited:
That isn’t what I’ve got. I’m not saying it won’t work but maybe it’s unique to aus?!!

The procedure that I detailed is exactly the same as the procedure set out in Step 2 in the table on the first page of your pdf document. Wording is slightly different, that is all.

As I read it, this is the normal reset procedure when doing a routine oil change, not one that has been prompted by a warning light.

Agreed?

That isnt what Ive got. Im not saying it wont work but maybe its unique to aus?!!

The procedure that I detailed is exactly the same as the procedure set out in Step 2 in the table on the first page of your pdf document. Wording is slightly different, that is all.

As I read it, this is the normal reset procedure when doing a routine oil change, not one that has been prompted by a warning light.

Agreed?

Hi, new to the forum. Glad I found it!! Thanks for the epb Maint procedure.
Was wondering if you documented the above oil reset procedure and if so provide a link?

Regards

Sean

Thanks for the info on EPB maintenance mode! My CX-5 sat for a few months and the rotors rusted pretty badly. The front rotors seemed to clean themselves (pad ground rust off), but the rears never seemed to take the rust off. When going into maintenance mode, I could hear that the passenger side motor took far more time to retract then the drivers side - and after removing the pads, the passenger side was almost down to the metal, while the drivers side had about 25% life left. I installed new rotors and pads, and maintenance mode now sounds even and relatively short. BTW, the bolt to screw into the rotor to remove it is M8 x 1.25. Thanks again!
open
open

Thanks for the info on EPB maintenance mode! My CX-5 sat for a few months and the rotors rusted pretty badly. The front rotors seemed to clean themselves (pad ground rust off), but the rears never seemed to take the rust off. When going into maintenance mode, I could hear that the passenger side motor took far more time to retract then the drivers side - and after removing the pads, the passenger side was almost down to the metal, while the drivers side had about 25% life left. I installed new rotors and pads, and maintenance mode now sounds even and relatively short. BTW, the bolt to screw into the rotor to remove it is M8 x 1.25. Thanks again!
open
open

Take care if this is the case, there was a mod done to the calipers to stop them from binding. The dealers will replace calipers under warranty but after that youre on your own. The fault would allow the brake to bind and one or both sides to wear prematurely.

Attachments

• Brake Noise from REAR BRAKE_Trace of Rear Brake Dragging.pdf
    373.8 KB · Views: 1,306
Thanks for the info - unfortunately my CX-5 VIN is in the affected numbers, but has almost 60K km on it. I don't use the parking brake much, and will note from now on if it pulls to the side even slightly when released. "Warrantable within 20,000 km / 12 months in service hereafter Prior Approval required" means they might have covered it after the 20K/12 months? (I tried the parking brake just now, and it seems to release evenly) Thanks again

Back