Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

I never disconnected the battery after putting in maintenance mode and didn't have any issues. But I never disconnected the parking brake motor connector either. Not sure why you'd need to do that other than extra extra precaution. Wouldn't hurt if you did, but I didn't need to.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cx5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carfanatic View Post

In both guides, the first 4 steps are the same:
    1. Switch to maintenance mode.
    2. Disconnect negative battery terminal.
    3. Remove wheel.
    4. Disconnect the electric parking brake motor gear unit connector.

Just wanted to see if anyone has done step 4 without doing step 2 and didn't have any issues.
    I never disconnected the battery after putting in maintenance mode and didn't have any issues. But I never disconnected the parking brake motor connector either. Not sure why you'd need to do that other than extra extra precaution. Wouldn't hurt if you did, but I didn't need to.
    I agree. In theory there's no need to disconnect negative terminal and EPB motor electrical connector. Both procedures are provided to prevent activating EPB motor accidentally during the brake pad replacement. But I really can't see how though. It definitely wouldn't hurt to disconnect both of them, but as lazy as I am, I'd only disconnect EPB motor connector at most when I'm doing rear brake job on my CX-5.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cx5 View Post
    Sorry for the late response yrwei52. I did not replace them with Mazda pads because, from what I've read, they are semi metallic and more prone to squeaking. It's so weird because the front ones have been just fine since I bought the car. I ended up going with ceramic replacements on the rears. The kind I got are Power Stop 17-1846 Z17 Evolution Plus Premium Ceramic Brake Pads. You can get them on Amazon or RockAuto for about $30 and they come with new hardware clips. The Power Stop website tells you to do a "break-in" process after you've put them on which is basically a few hard slow downs and then driving around until they cool off to set the resin on the rotor. They were a perfect fit and so far they have been working great. No more squeaking, finally!
    Yeah there seems plenty of complaints on rear brake squeaking from CX-5 owners since it came out in 2013. In early generation many caused by rusting issues and lack of lubricant on caliper pins making the pads sticky. Newer generation with EPB on 2016 CX-5 many caused by poor rear caliper design which also makes pads sticky. Some checked the calipers when his CX-5 was new, and found the grease applied to calipers is minimum from factory, and they need more caliper grease. Don't know if you had a chance to check your caliper lubricant when you're doing your rear pad replacement.

Luckily my rear pads have never had any squeaking noise since new. And the new set of OEM rear discs、pads、and calipers put in by dealer based on the EPB TSB doesn't have any squeaking noise either. Of course it could be my hearing need to get checked ⋯

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I agree. In theory there's no need to disconnect negative terminal and EPB motor electrical connector. Both procedures are provided to prevent activating EPB motor accidentally during the brake pad replacement. But I really can't see how though. It definitely wouldn't hurt to disconnect both of them, but as lazy as I am, I'd only disconnect EPB motor connector at most when I'm doing rear brake job on my CX-5.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm doing rear rotor and pad replacement over the weekend. As you said, I was being lazy and thinking of just disconnecting the EPB motor connector if I needed the room. Figured to see if anyone disconnected the connector without disconnecting the battery without any issues.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium

I disconnected the EPB connector without disconnecting the battery and did not have any issues. The connector wasn't your usual squeeze and pull connector. Instead of squeezing the middle tab, pull the middle tab straight back with your finger and with your other hand grab the sides of the connector and pull in same direction.

For compressing the caliper piston, I used this https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2526...e+caliper+tool. I put the old brake pad against the caliper piston and used this tool. It compressed the piston straight back without turning the piston.

Quote Originally Posted by carfanatic View Post
    I disconnected the EPB connector without disconnecting the battery and did not have any issues. The connector wasn't your usual squeeze and pull connector. Instead of squeezing the middle tab, pull the middle tab straight back with your finger and with your other hand grab the sides of the connector and pull in same direction.

For compressing the caliper piston, I used this https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2526...e+caliper+tool. I put the old brake pad against the caliper piston and used this tool. It compressed the piston straight back without turning the piston.
    Thanks for the update. Connectors sometimes are tricky and this one on EPB motor seems to be different from the common connectors.

I have a brake tool set which can either turn or compress the caliper piston with diffenter adapters.

Hope more CX-5 owners with EPB are aware that don’t turn the rear brake caliper piston to avoid the possible damage to the piston.

Registered Member

Mercedes

FYI ..(different data point):

I disconnected battery negative but did not disconnect epb motor after going to maintenance mode and had no issues.
    (This was on a 2016 cx 9).

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by blackcx5 View Post
    just a heads up you guys, I didn't properly align the caliper notch with the pin on the rear pads and got a loud metal clunking sound when braking.

I disassembled the brakes and found out what I did wrong, I didn't do the slight adjustment to line the caliper notch with the pad pin..

Is there a visual mark of where the notches have to be ? It's a blind mate when the caliper goes over the pads so there's no visual to make sure they are exactly lined up... thoughts ?

Sidenote: I find the OEM brake pads (the ones made from Japan, not the Mazda Value ones) to be the best in stopping power,
    I tried the Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads , although they were quiet, I found them to have very subpar stopping power and they felt mushy when braking hard

Mazda 2016 CX-5 front pads (Made in Japan) K0Y1-33-28ZA
    Mazda 2016 CX-5 rear pads (Made in Japan) KAY0-26-48Z

I noticed that you used the "KAY0-26-48Z" mazda rear brake pads on your '16 CX-5. My mechanic claims he used that same part number on my '16 CX-5 sport for the rear pads. However, when I visually look a the rear brake pads it says something like "DB928FF G1624 08D1A18" on them. Could you take a look at the rear pads on your CX-5 and confirm what it says on the? Just wanted to confirm if my mechanic used the correct pads or used after market ones.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by txt990 View Post
    I noticed that you used the "KAY0-26-48Z" mazda rear brake pads on your '16 CX-5. My mechanic claims he used that same part number on my '16 CX-5 sport for the rear pads. However, when I visually look a the rear brake pads it says something like "DB928FF G1624 08D1A18" on them. Could you take a look at the rear pads on your CX-5 and confirm what it says on the? Just wanted to confirm if my mechanic used the correct pads or used after market ones.
    Hi , it looks like the picture in the Med mazda link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Maz...frcectupt=true

I don't see DB928FF anywhere, when I do a search for DB928FF I get aftermarket pads......this is the NOT same exact as pad as you listed but it starts with DB928FF and it's made by CarQuest....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-pads-...-/123420984505
    Last edited by blackcx5; 03-22-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

Thanks blackcx5.. Will check with advanced auto with the part number..

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 2017 2.0L

Hi, Does this apply to change the brake fluid????

Hi, Does this apply to change the brake fluid????

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 2017 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post
    ok folks,

I tried to make a video but it's too hard for this procedure, I needed to use both hands, so I'll write up a detailed procedure based on the Mazda PDF's provided by Anchorman (much thanks) see post # 12 of this link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...x5-rear-brakes

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

(I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

(I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.
    Does this apply to change the braking fluid?

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

No.

Registered Member

broken EPB connector

Man I really wish I saw this before I did the rear brake job yesterday. I accidentally broke off the plastic EPB connector into the passenger rear caliper as I was pushing the piston back into caliper. It was really stupid of me to not disconnect this clip before doing the job.

I'm getting Parking Brake errors in the dash now. I've got 2 questions/problems:

1. Do y'all know if this is dangerous to drive around? The driver side rear caliper is connected, but the passenger rear caliper is not since the plastic clip is broken
    2. I did not have the car in maintenance mode when I pushed the piston in ... how do I know if these calipers are now damaged? I used the standard tool that "twists" the piston back into the caliper.

Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post
    ok folks,

I tried to make a video but it's too hard for this procedure, I needed to use both hands, so I'll write up a detailed procedure based on the Mazda PDF's provided by Anchorman (much thanks) see post # 12 of this link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...x5-rear-brakes

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

(I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

(I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by immanental View Post
    Man I really wish I saw this before I did the rear brake job yesterday. I accidentally broke off the plastic EPB connector into the passenger rear caliper as I was pushing the piston back into caliper. It was really stupid of me to not disconnect this clip before doing the job.

I'm getting Parking Brake errors in the dash now. I've got 2 questions/problems:

1. Do y'all know if this is dangerous to drive around? The driver side rear caliper is connected, but the passenger rear caliper is not since the plastic clip is broken
    2. I did not have the car in maintenance mode when I pushed the piston in ... how do I know if these calipers are now damaged? I used the standard tool that "twists" the piston back into the caliper.

Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions.
    It's unfortunate that many DIYers don't aware the rear brake pad replacement procedure is different between the one with Electrical Parking Brake and without. Just like in earlier days some didn't aware the rear disk brake can't just push the piston in like the front, but also have to turn it.

In your situation IMO you should have no problem to use the foot brake, but the EPB won't be functioning which of course is not a safe-driving situation. And if nothing unusual happens and there's no leak from the real calipers, the piston seal should be fine. But if you have a 2016 CX-5, you may also want to consider getting newer version of the rear brake calipers as the original calipers are having dragging issues based on Mazda's TSB.

I wonder how difficult or how costly to replace the broken EPB wire connector ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast