Guide Maintenance Mode for 2016 / 2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Hi, Does this apply to change the brake fluid????

Hi, Does this apply to change the brake fluid????

ok folks,

I tried to make a video but it's too hard for this procedure, I needed to use both hands, so I'll write up a detailed procedure based on the Mazda PDF's provided by Anchorman (much thanks) see post # 12 of this link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861543-2016-cx5-rear-brakes

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

(I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

(I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.

Does this apply to change the braking fluid?

broken EPB connector

Man I really wish I saw this before I did the rear brake job yesterday. I accidentally broke off the plastic EPB connector into the passenger rear caliper as I was pushing the piston back into caliper. It was really stupid of me to not disconnect this clip before doing the job.

I'm getting Parking Brake errors in the dash now. I've got 2 questions/problems:

1. Do y'all know if this is dangerous to drive around? The driver side rear caliper is connected, but the passenger rear caliper is not since the plastic clip is broken
2. I did not have the car in maintenance mode when I pushed the piston in ... how do I know if these calipers are now damaged? I used the standard tool that "twists" the piston back into the caliper.

Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions.

ok folks,

I tried to make a video but it's too hard for this procedure, I needed to use both hands, so I'll write up a detailed procedure based on the Mazda PDF's provided by Anchorman (much thanks) see post # 12 of this link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861543-2016-cx5-rear-brakes

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

(I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

(I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.

Man I really wish I saw this before I did the rear brake job yesterday. I accidentally broke off the plastic EPB connector into the passenger rear caliper as I was pushing the piston back into caliper. It was really stupid of me to not disconnect this clip before doing the job.

I'm getting Parking Brake errors in the dash now. I've got 2 questions/problems:

1. Do y'all know if this is dangerous to drive around? The driver side rear caliper is connected, but the passenger rear caliper is not since the plastic clip is broken
2. I did not have the car in maintenance mode when I pushed the piston in ... how do I know if these calipers are now damaged? I used the standard tool that "twists" the piston back into the caliper.

Thank you in advance for your comments/suggestions.
It's unfortunate that many DIYers don't aware the rear brake pad replacement procedure is different between the one with Electrical Parking Brake and without. Just like in earlier days some didn't aware the rear disk brake can't just push the piston in like the front, but also have to turn it.

In your situation IMO you should have no problem to use the foot brake, but the EPB won't be functioning which of course is not a safe-driving situation. And if nothing unusual happens and there's no leak from the real calipers, the piston seal should be fine. But if you have a 2016 CX-5, you may also want to consider getting newer version of the rear brake calipers as the original calipers are having dragging issues based on Mazda's TSB.

I wonder how difficult or how costly to replace the broken EPB wire connector ...

My CX-5 is a 2016 and the TSB does apply. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if they will update the rear calipers, but the car is out of warranty with 75k mi on it.

It's unfortunate that many DIYers don't aware the rear brake pad replacement procedure is different between the one with Electrical Parking Brake and without. Just like in earlier days some didn't aware the rear disk brake can't just push the piston in like the front, but also have to turn it.

In your situation IMO you should have no problem to use the foot brake, but the EPB won't be functioning which of course is not a safe-driving situation. And if nothing unusual happens and there's no leak from the real calipers, the piston seal should be fine. But if you have a 2016 CX-5, you may also want to consider getting newer version of the rear brake calipers as the original calipers are having dragging issues based on Mazda's TSB.

I wonder how difficult or how costly to replace the broken EPB wire connector ...

Here are US VIN ranges:
US (2016 MY) MEXICO (2016 2017 MY) JM3 KE **** ** 600015 - 866136

Mine is under the 866136 VIN range. I am going to be doing a test on this. I am out of warranty in August end.

Here are US VIN ranges:
US (2016 MY) MEXICO (2016 2017 MY) JM3 KE **** ** 600015 - 866136

Mine is under the 866136 VIN range. I am going to be doing a test on this. I am out of warranty in August end.
You have 2016.5 and your CX-5 is in the TSB VIN range? When is your manufacture date?

If I were you, I'd go to Town North Mazda as they're fully aware of the TSB, and they're more willing to replace rear calipers if they see any sign of uneven wear on disk pads, especially if you can talk to their master mechanic.

You have 2016.5 and your CX-5 is in the TSB VIN range? When is your manufacture date?

If I were you, I'd go to Town North Mazda as they're fully aware of the TSB, and they're more willing to replace rear calipers if they see any sign of uneven wear on disk pads, especially if you can talk to their master mechanic.
I see no symptoms. No dragging or noise. My rotors look ok. Can't hesr any noise. I will still get it checked at my dealer. Hope the at least inspect fully.

I see no symptoms. No dragging or noise. My rotors look ok. Can't hesr any noise. I will still get it checked at my dealer. Hope the at least inspect fully.
In my case at 25K miles right before 3 years my rear brakes were having no dragging or noise symptom too. But I went ahead to have service advisor checking the rear brakes for one of 10 final warranty checkups and fixes. The first round the tech who was doing all the work stated there's nothing wrong on rear brakes. Unlucky for the tech he screwed up 2 easy fixes and I used that as a reason to have the master mechanic to double check rear brakes as I really don't want the potential EPB problem after warranty ran out. The master mechanic checked rear brakes again and found different thickness on inner and outer disk pads on both sides, and went ahead performed the TSB under warranty.

What I'm trying to say is you may not have any symptoms, but dealer's attitude will make big difference whether or not you can get revised rear calipers to avoid later EPB problem.

In my case at 25K miles right before 3 years my rear brakes were having no dragging or noise symptom too. But I went ahead to have service advisor checking the rear brakes for one of 10 final warranty checkups and fixes. The first round the tech who was doing all the work stated there's nothing wrong on rear brakes. Unlucky for the tech he screwed up 2 easy fixes and I used that as a reason to have the master mechanic to double check rear brakes as I really don't want the potential EPB problem after warranty ran out. The master mechanic checked rear brakes again and found different thickness on inner and outer disk pads on both sides, and went ahead performed the TSB under warranty.

What I'm trying to say is you may not have any symptoms, but dealer's attitude will make big difference whether or not you can get revised rear calipers to avoid later EPB problem.

Ok. I will give it a shot. My dealer does not do warranty work on Saturdays. So it has to be weekdays yikes.

That got me thinking is there a list of TSBs that I should focus on for a 16.5 CX5? Something I am not aware of but might get smacked later??

yrwei - if you can blank out personal info and show me the invoice or paperwork for Town North maybe I have a better chance that my dealer would entertain it. I know you are in Cali now - it would be great if its possible.

yrwei - if you can blank out personal info and show me the invoice or paperwork for Town North maybe I have a better chance that my dealer would entertain it. I know you are in Cali now - it would be great if its possible.
PM sent.

I dodged a bullet for sure. I unplugged the electric parking brake. Then replaced the rear pads as normal, turning the caliper back into position. I could hear the motor turning on the ebrake too. When I put it all back together, including plugging the e-brake back in, and went for a ride. The parking dash light was on. The parking switch was flashing and the brake light on the dash was flashing too! I started reading this thread and figured I was screwed. Well, I put the car into maintenance mode and then back out of maintenance mode and it works!! whew...

This is what we need to do to change rear brake pads and, this is called progress? What a crock of stuff. Ed

Wait so Maintenance mode = push piston back and not turn it? this makes it easier if so.

Excellent instructions. I watched a youtube on this and it was confusing. I prefer written instructions for the complicated steps like '3 times' etc. Thank you.

Wait so Maintenance mode = push piston back and not turn it? this makes it easier if so.

Sort of... When first engaging Maintenance Mode, it backs off the parking brake motor but not the piston... You have to push the piston back manually if you're replacing the pads since the new pads will be thicker than the worn pads.. After you're done replacing the pads, you have to make sure the piston grooves line up with the pin on the back of the brake pad...then you turn off maintenance mode and the motor will automatically push the piston back out until it engages the pad and senses a certain pressure it will automatically stop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back