Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Buffalo , NY
    Posts
    287

    Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

    ok folks,

    I tried to make a video but it's too hard for this procedure, I needed to use both hands, so I'll write up a detailed procedure based on the Mazda PDF's provided by Anchorman (much thanks) see post # 12 of this link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...x5-rear-brakes

    The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

    I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.


    I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.


    there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............


    Switching On Maintenance Mode


    1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

    2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)


    (I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

    Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

    Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.







    Ending Maintenance Mode

    1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

    (I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

    you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.
    Last edited by tomcat1446; 09-03-2017 at 12:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    _
    Posts
    325
    oh boy, F' me, I screwed up, I had the squeaking rear brake symptoms so took apart the brake assembly but was not aware of this maintenance mode

    I didn't change the original pads just took them out to put grease on and blow off any brake dust but when putting back the calipers the piston was a bit tight so I turned my rear piston with Lisle #28600 (still paying attention to the grooves lining up so the peg on the disc pad lines up into a groove.....)

    so far no issues, I can still hear the EPB motor working fine and if I release the brake pedal without releasing the EPB the car doesn't move so I know the EPB is working....

    but still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling, I hope me turning the pistons didn't foul up the motor in the long run. In the future I will go into maintenance mode and compress the piston back like the fronts with this tool https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I think with most (if not all) manufacturers moving to EPB, these spinning tools with various groove/dimple attachments will be obsolete....https://www.amazon.com/Motivx-Tools-...ake+tool&psc=1
    Last edited by batmancx; 09-03-2017 at 11:50 AM.

  3. #3
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,075

    Arrow Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

    Many thanks to tomcat1446 for another nice write up for this important piece of info missing from the Factory Service Manual Chris_Top_Her was giving out. I was tempted to ask Anchorman to repost his EPB PDF files in this How-To section otherwise his excellent post will get buried and hard to find eventually.

  4. #4
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,075

    Arrow Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

    Quote Originally Posted by batmancx View Post
    oh boy, F' me, I screwed up, I had the squeaking rear brake symptoms so took apart the brake assembly but was not aware of this maintenance mode

    I didn't change the original pads just took them out to put grease on and blow off any brake dust but when putting back the calipers the piston was a bit tight so I turned my rear piston with Lisle #28600 (still paying attention to the grooves lining up so the peg on the disc pad lines up into a groove.....)

    so far no issues, I can still hear the EPB motor working fine and if I release the brake pedal without releasing the EPB the car doesn't move so I know the EPB is working....

    but still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling, I hope me turning the pistons didn't foul up the motor in the long run.
    If your EPB and rear brakes still work properly I believe you didn't damage the rear calipers as the caution says it "could" damage them when you push the piston while rotating.

    Caution
    • If the piston is pushed into the caliper while rotating the piston, the caliper internal parts could be
    damaged. Be careful not to rotate the piston when pushing the piston into the caliper.
    Yep I bought this fancy rear brake tool set but used it only once on my VW Passat. It'll be obsolete very soon with the popularity of the EPB!


  5. #5
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Many thanks to tomcat1446 for another nice write up for this important piece of info missing from the Factory Service Manual Chris_Top_Her was giving out. I was tempted to ask Anchorman to repost his EPB PDF files in this How-To section otherwise his excellent post will get buried and hard to find eventually.
    I can add the file but as with many TSBs, there is a lot of stuff in it not really relevant to the main point. I think Tomcat has summarised it quite well but I’ll add it if you wish.

    One thing I would add. After ending the maintenance mode, there are no more settings to be made regardless of how worn the pads are. The motor sets the correct clearance automatically. Its a cracking system.
    Last edited by Anchorman; 09-05-2017 at 06:40 AM.

  6. #6
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,584
    Something else you guys will need to know at the relevant time. After changing the oil on the 2.2D, the oil maintenance data MUST be reset. Without doing so, the sensors that check oil viscosity will start to throw up warnings about the oil being out of spec and needing changing immediately. Once again, Mazda have provided a means for us to do it and it its not unlike the EPB procedure but takes place in the fuse box. I will post it up when the time comes (or pass it to Tomcat who does a really nice job!!!).

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Buffalo , NY
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Many thanks to tomcat1446 for another nice write up for this important piece of info missing from the Factory Service Manual Chris_Top_Her was giving out. I was tempted to ask Anchorman to repost his EPB PDF files in this How-To section otherwise his excellent post will get buried and hard to find eventually.
    you're very welcome both to you yrwei652 and Anchorman for posting the PDF's, I had a hard time figuring out all the nuances, Mazda instructions were too convoluted, I had to run it thru many times until I finally understood what they were trying to say..... like having to press start button twice for ignition on, and need brake pedal to release EPB, just follow my simplified instructions in red and 2016/2017 CX5 owners will have no issues.

  8. #8
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,075

    Arrow Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post
    you're very welcome both to you yrwei652 and Anchorman for posting the PDF's, I had a hard time figuring out all the nuances, Mazda instructions were too convoluted, I had to run it thru many times until I finally understood what they were trying to say..... like having to press start button twice for ignition on, and need brake pedal to release EPB, just follow my simplified instructions in red and 2016/2017 CX5 owners will have no issues.
    Yeah those Mazda documents sometimes feel like they simply feed their original Japanese version through a Google translator. Doing a write-up, especially a responsible one like yours with easy-to-understand instructions and many pictures to boot, is not easy! We know you've actually spent more time than obvious to contribute and we really appreciate that. And I've said before, I'm always looking forward to seeing your write-ups and enjoy reading them. They are very useful to our community such as this particular one!

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2016.5 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    265
    just FYI, over the weekend decided to do some routine brake maintenance before winter sets in and they start salting the roads, ie remove any dust, clean rotors, lubricate pads, check pins. After only one year the rotors were basically rusted on to the hubs... The fronts were especially hard to get off the OEM rotors were stuck on, even tried putting a long screw into the empty threaded hole to get them off. It wouldn't budge. had to hammer the hell out of them with a rubber mallet to get them off.... just a heads up for those who never had them serviced before to have a look. I added some anti seize between rotor and hub some hopefully next time it won't be such a pain in the neck.

    https://youtu.be/fpCGvjzqh3M
    Last edited by blackcx5; 10-09-2017 at 06:53 AM.

  10. #10
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcx5 View Post
    just FYI, over the weekend decided to do some routine brake maintenance before winter sets in and they start salting the roads, ie remove any dust, clean rotors, lubricate pads, check pins. After only one year the rotors were basically rusted on to the hubs... The fronts were especially hard to get off the OEM rotors were stuck on, even tried putting a long screw into the empty threaded hole to get them off. It wouldn't budge. had to hammer the hell out of them with a rubber mallet to get them off.... just a heads up for those who never had them serviced before to have a look. I added some anti seize between rotor and hub some hopefully next time it won't be such a pain in the neck.

    https://youtu.be/fpCGvjzqh3M
    Yep, imagine what I had to go through after having them on after 60k miles, virtually welded themselves to the hub...

  11. #11
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    137
    Many thanks for all the great information particularly the simplified method to enter and exit maintenance mode for the EPB. I just did the rears on the CX5 and the job went extremely well. I did use that 'fancy' rear brake tool, just used the blank head that does not spin the piston but simply presses it in. My old school c-clamp method would not have worked due to the placement of the motor for the EPB. Made the job very simple and efficient. Thanks again to everyone for all the great information posted here.

  12. #12
    Registered Member Moonlighter's Avatar

    CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Redlands, Qld, Australia
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Something else you guys will need to know at the relevant time. After changing the oil on the 2.2D, the oil maintenance data MUST be reset. Without doing so, the sensors that check oil viscosity will start to throw up warnings about the oil being out of spec and needing changing immediately. Once again, Mazda have provided a means for us to do it and it its not unlike the EPB procedure but takes place in the fuse box. I will post it up when the time comes (or pass it to Tomcat who does a really nice job!!!).
    Thanks, yes, I was aware of the requirement to reset the oil data. The owner’s manual here in Aus highlights the need to do that, and includes details on the procedure to do it. This seems to be a alternative/replacement procedure instead of the one involving the fuse box that I see referenced on internet posts.

    It is as follows. Note that the “trip selector” referenced is the stalk on the dash that you press to reset trip distances in the odometer and can also be used to adjust dash backlight.

    1. Switch the ignition OFF

    2. Switch the ignition on (2 presses of start button) with the trip selector pressed, and hold the trip selector about 5 seconds until the master warning light (triangle with exclamation mark inside) flashes.

    3. After the master warning light flashes for several seconds, the initialisation is completed. Let go trip selector button. Done.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 12-04-2017 at 09:32 PM.

  13. #13
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,584
    That isn’t what I’ve got. I’m not saying it won’t work but maybe it’s unique to aus?!!

  14. #14
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,584
    Starts near the bottom of the first page.

  15. #15
    Registered Member Moonlighter's Avatar

    CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Redlands, Qld, Australia
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    That isn’t what I’ve got. I’m not saying it won’t work but maybe it’s unique to aus?!!
    The procedure that I detailed is exactly the same as the procedure set out in Step 2 in the table on the first page of your pdf document. Wording is slightly different, that is all.

    As I read it, this is the normal reset procedure when doing a routine oil change, not one that has been prompted by a warning light.

    Agreed?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2017, 12:04 AM
  2. 2017 cx-5 sport mode
    By Panda_415 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-18-2017, 07:16 PM
  3. 2017 Sport Mode - Stuck in 1st gear
    By SweetPete in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 11:56 AM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-21-2017, 04:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •