2014 2.5 Automatic trans shift delay

eperks

:
Mazda '14 CXa5
Been living with the shifting into drive problem on our cx5 for almost a year. I have read a few people on here having similar experiences, but there cars were low mileage, and the dealer replaced their transmissions every time.

I've got 50k on it, it started at 42k, and has gotten a little worse. I'm hoping someone will pin point the problem, and not just do a "total parts replacement "

What I've learned: When we first start the car (cold start). The car will not s*** into drive. You can shift into reverse, back to park, etc. But drive feals just like neutral. If you rev the engine in drive it will eventually catch and lunge forward. What we do is let it warm up for a minute or 2 and shift into drive, then s*** to neutral, then drive, them neutral, etc. Eventually it catches without lunging because we never accelerated in drive until it rolled on its own. And this is deffinetly a temperature thing. If it's a hot day, the cold start shift delay is almost non existent. But as it's getting colder, it is taking literly 5 mins to get the car to s*** into drive. Once you get it into drive it never has a problem again until the next cold start.
Anyone have new experiences with this?

Been living with the shifting into drive problem on our cx5 for almost a year. I have read a few people on here having similar experiences, but there cars were low mileage, and the dealer replaced their transmissions every time.

I've got 50k on it, it started at 42k, and has gotten a little worse. I'm hoping someone will pin point the problem, and not just do a "total parts replacement "

What I've learned: When we first start the car (cold start). The car will not s*** into drive. You can shift into reverse, back to park, etc. But drive feals just like neutral. If you rev the engine in drive it will eventually catch and lunge forward. What we do is let it warm up for a minute or 2 and shift into drive, then s*** to neutral, then drive, them neutral, etc. Eventually it catches without lunging because we never accelerated in drive until it rolled on its own. And this is deffinetly a temperature thing. If it's a hot day, the cold start shift delay is almost non existent. But as it's getting colder, it is taking literly 5 mins to get the car to s*** into drive. Once you get it into drive it never has a problem again until the next cold start.
Anyone have new experiences with this?

5/60 powertrain warranty. I suggest you use it.

5/60 powertrain warranty. I suggest you use it.
Exactly! Why bother to "pin point" the problem, and most likely you can't fix it by yourself with lack of special transmission tools. With powertrain warranty, "total parts replacement" is the way to go.

If for some reason you really want to resolve the issue by yourself, you should start to check ATF level first and it's possible the symptom you described can be caused by low ATF level.

Hi eperks,
I had a similar problem with other vehicle exactly as you described.
I checked as yrwei52 suggested the ATF level and it was low. Add some of it and problem solved.
If ATF is not the culprit, take it to the dealer and exercise your rights on the 5/60 warranty.
Keep us posted!

The dealer does not have the time nor training to pinpoint and rebuild or disassemble, and warranty a transmission they rebuilt. This is why you will see them do a whole transmission swap instead.

Utilize your warranty!

Latest posts

Back