2017~2024 CX-5 Malfunction Warnings

Why do you suppose Mazda considered that the problem no longer existed after the VINs noted if they didn't start using the modified camera at that point in the production run?

Unless they are repeatedly notified of the same issue after the VINs listed, they will consider the matter finished.

Unless they are repeatedly notified of the same issue after the VINs listed, they will consider the matter finished.

And why do you suppose they would stop being notified of the issue?
Why would they think that very specific range of VINs is relevant?
Because they made a production change, obviously.

And why do you suppose they would stop being notified of the issue?

1. Because owners couldn't be bothered
  2. Because dealers are not passing on the information

Production changes don't necessary fix the issue for everyone. Some people are still having problems even on 2018 model. And my above 2 points are valid.

If there are issues, see a Mazda dealer or contact Mazda North America HQ or whatever country's HQ you reside in regardless if there is a bulletin or not or if it is a 2017/2018 model.

Last edited:
  1. Because owners couldn't be bothered
  2. Because dealers are not passing on the information

Sorry, X, your arguments have deteriorated to absurdity.
I give up. You just don't get it. Or maybe you're just trolling me now. That's ok. I've got better things to do than try to splain it to you. :)

Sorry, X, your arguments have deteriorated to absurdity.
I give up. You just don't get it. Or maybe you're just trolling me now. That's ok. I've got better things to do than try to splain it to you. :)

Sorry you feel that way.

Makes perfect sense to me. No absurdity. Gave details, you don't think are valid. That is fine.

Have a nice day

Last edited:
Lets keep it civil, defintely not trolling thank you... we are all cool here (group)

OK, after my promised trawl, I found the only TSB there is on the subject and not to call you out, it isn't related to a heat failure, it is due to the system being too sensitive to strong sunlight - it effectively gets dazzled and shuts some systems down temporarily to prevent the risk of malfunction. The mechanism is described on the last pages. It does effect early US KFs (2017 models). It also explains why the system resets itself when it can see again. See attached. The last vehicle built with the early camera was on the 26th April this year so it doesn't effect later models.

Greetings, Anchorman! I am having issues with the Smart City Brake, which displayed the malfunction warning lights this morning on a brand new 2017.5 Mazda 6. I've only had the car since last Friday... You mention an attachment in your post, but I don't see one. Could you post it again or send it to me, please? I'd like to read up more on what is going on (since this seems to be a common problem) before I turn it in for service.

I have a 2018 and this has happened once in sunny southern California with a clean windshield to mine. So I'd say 2018's are not exempt from this problem.

Camera is getting confused with different lighting conditions.....
(hmm)

Howdy y'all !

Visited the dealer this morning to get the Smart City Break off and Lane Departure Assist off lights examined. The settings via the infotainment had these features turned on but the instrument cluster is displaying the off lights for both. Additionally, the rain sensing wiper and automatic high beam control features too weren't functioning.

The diagnosis is that a system recalibration is required. Apparently it's a lengthy process but should set things back to working order. I was told this issue is rare but has been experienced. They will be working on my 2018 CX5 GT tomorrow and hopefully resolve it by Monday.

Has anyone experienced similar occurrence?

Anchorman would you be able to send me the TSB, my dealer thinks Im making it up. My car keeps popping up with this malfunction but it also activated the brakes as well which is unsafe

I have my CX-5 since the end of April.
During our summer holiday in the north of Sweden, it happened a few times that the "camera is malfunction" message popped up. (including some message about cruise control not functioning etc.)
At the time the errors occurred:
A: We had been driving a lot and as there are tons of mosquitoes over there our windshield was just covered with death bugs.
B: The sun was at an angle of about 30 or 40 degrees above the horizon, directly in front of us. Making it hard to see the road in front of us.
Turning away from the sunlight... The malfunction disappeared.
Driving towards the sun in similar conditions but with a clean windshield... no malfunction.
So, I just figured it was the combination of these things that gave us the malfunctions and paid no further notice to it.

After that, up until a few weeks ago... no problems at all.
No malfunctions and the automatic high beam worked like a charm. (It is our first car that has that and we really like this function).

A few weeks back it started to get a bit colder (around 5C) in the mornings.
The car is standing outside and as a result, the cars windows are a bit fogged up.
Starting the car, running the A/C and the front defrost quickly defogs the windows so I can start driving... at that time: no warnings or alarms even though the windows might not be completely defogged at that time.
But then, after the first one or two kilometer... all of sudden the camera malfunction pops up again and says something about defogging the camera!
Strange, as at that time all the windows are usually completely defogged and I can't see any fog or obstruction in front of the camera either.
Sometimes the message disappears as quickly as it came. Sometimes it lasts the entire ride to work (about 15 min).
Some days it pops up, other days it doesn't... even though it looks like the conditions are pretty similar.

And then there is the high beams...
This week I had to start a bit earlier for work and it was the first time it was dark enough in the morning for the high beams to automatically switch on/off.
Both yesterday and today, the windows were a bit fogged so I did my normal routine and by the time I started driving the windows were fairly defogged.

This is what happened yesterday:
- In our street... street lights, so the high beam was off.
First part without lights... High beam doesn't switch on.
I get on the main road (still a dark part), just behind another car and another car coming in the opposite direction --> The high beam switches on! (uhm)
I quickly switch off the automatic high beam and a few moments later the camera malfunction alarm comes up saying the camera needs to be defogged.

Now, because of what happened yesterday I decide to drive to work a bit different so I can test the high beams without traffic.
This is what happened this morning:
- In our street... street lights, so the high beam was off.
First part without lights... High beam switches on as it is supposed to.
Next part is with street lights again... High beam switches off.
Another part where there are no street lights... High beam switches on again.
So until this part it seems it is all functioning as intended. (yippy)
But then I start running into some traffic that is going into the other direction.
Normally the high beam detects the other car and switches off... this time it doesn't.
I didn't notice it (thinking the system was working fine) until the other drivers started flashing their high beams at me.
This time however no camera alarm at all during the entire ride to work.

So now I am a bit puzzled at the moment.
I was thinking to pick this up with the Mazda dealership, but this is our first car with these gimmicks, so I have no previous references.
Maybe there is something wrong with the camera/high beam function... or this is considered to be normal when the car is cold and the windows were fogged when you started it.
My guess it is not supposed to be working like I described, but maybe some of you are in a better position to answer this?

My CX5 is 2 months old with 5000ks (3000 miles) on the clock and have had ongoing issues with warning malfunction messages coming up on warm clear sunny days. Turn the ignition on and 6 different messages come up in sequence on the instrument display beginning with Front Camera Sensor System Malfunction. Has happened on 20 different occasions with photographs taken on 14 instances. Have taken to Mazda Dealership here in in Penrith NSW 4 times now. Have spoken with Sales rep and have contacted Mazda Australia. Theyve replaced both the the front facing cameras but problem continues. Brother has got the exact same car but has not had any sign of this problem. Glad to see that Im not the only person in the world to be experiencing this although I feel for you guys having the same problem. Will be interesting to see how Mazda will resolve this? In general I love my Mazdas with this one being my eighth but will love it more once its fixed.

Good info. I'll have a trawl through my TSBs.
Hi @Anchorman
I have a 2017 CX-5 GT Diesel, build April 2017. I am experiencing these issues with the car twice throwing arrays of errors. Mazda sold me a new battery and cleared faults the first time. Problem occurring 3 years on but can't rule out that I am coming in to the same problems give similarity of conditions faults. Can you please check if VIN JM0KF4W2A00106741 falls within the range of affected vehicles?
Thanks

I have a one-month old 2020 CX 5 with comfort package.
Two times in one day I have had Front Radar System Failure show. Conditions were light snow on a smooth at dusk. Not following any other vehicle. Very intermittent, only lasted for about 15 seconds each time and resolved own while continuing to drive.
Third time warding was for radar system failure and that lane departure and automatic lights and forward detection would not function. Conditions were light fog pre-dawn, clear road and no other vehicles around. Lasted 1 minute and resolved on own while continuing to drive.

Huh.

So much for Mazda Australia letting us know. I suspect unless it is a formal recall for some sort of issue, us owners here don't here about these TSBs :(

May I ask how you are getting these please (uhm)

P.S - Thanks for the clarification.
How do I find the TSB? I've just had the malfunction come up on my 2017 Cx5 gt

Back