a/c not cold past 1

MacsRule43

:
01 protege lx
I have been driving a friends protege for almost a year. I love it. But AC blows ice cold on speed 1, and the light comes on for the ac. However, turn it to 2 or higher and the coldness disappears and the light goes off completely. Turn it back down and it blows cold. The fan blows but its not cold at 2, 3, 4. I hear the compressor cycle on and off when its supposed to, not rapidly as it would be if its low. But at the higher fan speeds it doesn't cycle. I have searched this before and on other places and have seen/read where someone replaced the controller as it was deemed faulty, and that was what fixed it. I know that every car is different, And would like know any other ideas as well.

I had the same issue and I MOSTLY fixed it using the writeup below. My AC was only working while on speed 1 and not on speed 2, 3, or 4. Speed 4 would flicker on and off and I could sometimes make it work with the dial between settings. I ordered Cutequeen 750ct resistors from amazon for $7 and completed the fix located at https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123819018. End result... now everything works on speeds 2-4 and speed 1 doesn't even turn on the fan. Oh well, good enough for me!

uc

Last edited:
Back