XPEL Ultimate clear paint wrap?

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Has anybody installed this on their car?
or anything similar like 3M Scotch

If so, what amount of coverage did you install?
How was the pre-cut coverage?

We are debating to do the headlights + Mazda logo + front bumper + "bikini" cut(curved hood/fender/mirror) coverage.
We have XPEL door edge protection already ordered and on the way over.

2017-09-01_2_-crop.png

I saw Minhtuyet did it, https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826557-What-Did-You-Do-for-Your-CX-5-Today&p=6533994&viewfull=1#post6533994

but it's not clear what was done or how well the coverage is.

We want to protect the amazing red paint for as long as possible from road projectiles.

2017-mazda-cx-5-specifications-and-prices-reveal.jpg

I've used Xpel on multiple cars over the years ... including a full-front wrap of my MX-5 RF Launch Edition with terrific results.
Yes, it's pricey, but strikes that would have resulted in huge paint chips merely mar the film ... many of which self-heal in the Texas heat.
Those that damage the film more deeply would likely have dented the body ... and Xpel WILL replace damaged film when damaged ... though I recommend doing so only after multiple areas are afflicted with visible damage.

I have an appointment this Tuesday to have the front of my newly-purchased Soul Red Crystal GT partly protected with Xpel ... the full front bumper, 24" of the hood and fenders, headlights, fog lights, side mirrors, door cups, and door edges.
My former '16 CX-9 experience indicates that this coverage should be sufficient for the most common sources of road rash.

I use a "factory" store here in Austin, but any authorized installer should have trained personnel who do a good job.
Yelp or other reviews may help you find those most qualified.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
I have an appointment this Tuesday to have the front of my newly-purchased Soul Red Crystal GT partly protected with Xpel ... the full front bumper, 24" of the hood and fenders, headlights, fog lights, side mirrors, door cups, and door edges.
My former '16 CX-9 experience indicates that this coverage should be sufficient for the most common sources of road rash.
/QUOTE]

Door cups?

Do you mean the inside of the door hands to prevent nails and rings from scratching?

It sounds like we are doing a similar area.
Our quote for a popular (w/porsches, corvettes, exotics, etc) was ~$1,100 to also include the chrome strip on the bumper. This was the pre-cut pattern only, not a custom wrap that folds over the edges.
They said it should take them most of the day.

What was your quote?

/QUOTE]

Door cups?

Do you mean the inside of the door hands to prevent nails and rings from scratching?

It sounds like we are doing a similar area.
Our quote for a popular (w/porsches, corvettes, exotics, etc) was ~$1,100 to also include the chrome strip on the bumper. This was the pre-cut pattern only, not a custom wrap that folds over the edges.
They said it should take them most of the day.

What was your quote?

Yes, door cups are area behind the exterior door handles ... thus preventing fingernail and ring scratches in that area.

Note that the Xpel factory store uses a plotter to custom-cut the patterns for each vehicle and that they DO provide enough material to wrap the edges.

I didn't specify the chrome bumper strip and my quote was slightly less than yours ... with the caveat that I'm given a "frequent flyer" discount.
I've had them work on multiple cars including both MX-5 NDs, BMWs, Porsches; and have sent plenty of business their way.
(Yes ... I have a frequent-trader problem. (boom01) )

With all said and done, it sounds as though you have a reasonable quote for work from a quality shop.

I had a shop do it. Whole front bumper, part way up hood, and side mirrors. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you know what you are doing. The complex shape is a pain to get it wrapped correctly. I'll take pictures today and post later.

If I take a pic from front of car you can't even see it.

1/3 of hood
front of fenders
headlights
front bumper
side mirrors

K3J3AaJ.jpg

Last edited:
I have XPEL on both our CX5's (2014 and 2016) on half hood/fenders, front bumper, headlights, fog lights, side mirrors, door cups, and tailgate trim at top of bumper. I had a shop do it for roughly $800. It has held up great! Both cars have over 40,000 miles with the film on them from Week 1. Lots of highway driving with bad bugs every week. I use a Pinnacle bug sponge with a bug/tar spray during washes. Love not worrying about scratching or damaging the paint from bugs. Definitely easier to clean the contact points having the film.

Wow. They're really cheap from your side of the earth. The local distro here charges more than $3,500 for the whole car!

Anyway, I also inquired with the local distro here about custom cuts for the shifter and window switch panel because the glossy black finish easily gets marks. However they cannot pre-cut or install. Have you guys tried it on a small size and die they accept the job?
7e07d9d3c73da4a39aab44f5fe3d8979.jpg
acef00f0c97721d2b1424826cc3859d2.jpg
862f20278732c62b3e8dd3fa3096f704.jpg
96dce50a21e47ecbee0a989321b8a413.jpg

I have full coverage on all of my cars including the two Mazdas (2016 MX5 and 2017 CX5). I swear by the stuff. In addition to protection everything, I feel it makes removing bugs easier. About 10 years ago I used the bikini cut or partial coverage kits and never liked the line that always collected wax residue and similar. The protection is still there in the high impact areas so the decision to go to full coverage was purely cosmetic.

I have full coverage on all of my cars including the two Mazdas (2016 MX5 and 2017 CX5). I swear by the stuff. In addition to protection everything, I feel it makes removing bugs easier. About 10 years ago I used the bikini cut or partial coverage kits and never liked the line that always collected wax residue and similar. The protection is still there in the high impact areas so the decision to go to full coverage was purely cosmetic.
Sir have you tried removing the partial bikini cut? My concern is the paint fading differently on covered vs open parts.

Hey, just saw this thread. Great info.
I am awaiting the delivery of my new Mazda 6, and was actually searching/surfing the internet for this kind of thing.
3M also makes a similar protective film, but I was leaning towards the XPEL product.
I sent an e-mail to a local after market detailer that installs this stuff, so I think I'll go that route after I get my car.
Thanks for the info.

I had PPF installed on my 2016 shortly after purchase. I did hood fender mirrors (bikini cut) front bumper and door cups. It's held up really nicely for about 3 years now.

I've just made an appointment to bring my 17 in to get done. Getting 3m pro series "ultimate kit" which includes the bumper, headlights, 18" of hood, mirrors, portion of the top of cab, fenders and A-pillars and bottoms of doors. Installed for 1500$CAN. Am I going overboard? Has anyone else got this package put on? I just realized that it may not cover the chrome on the front. Now I'm wondering if I should get that put on too.

Sounds like a very fair price.
I didn't do the chrome on mine ... don't think that XPel (that I had installed on mine) even has a pattern for the chrome.

I have it on mine and I love the product. Make sure you get a bottle of their cleaner/conditioner, to keep it looking like new.

I have Lumar and its been a headache. Its just not sticking right. Im thinking its installer error, but he has been good about fixing any issues

Back