2016 CX-5 rear brakes...Maintenance mode?

Jeramy568

:
Mazda cx-5
The dealer warned me of doing the rear breaks on my 2016 cx5. Said something about maintenance mode and the electric parking break. Can anyone help a brother out in regards to this?

The dealer warned me of doing the rear breaks on my 2016 cx5. Said something about maintenance mode and the electric parking break. Can anyone help a brother out in regards to this?

what is your mileage, are you hearing any sort of sounds when you brake? decreased performance? what do your rear brakes look like, do you have a pic?

does your parking brake still work?

that's nonsense, he just trying to scare you, with that said your vehicle is still under warranty so better to have them check it out if anything is out of the ordinary,

I serviced my own 2016 brakes with no issue, only thing you have to remember is to release the e-brakes before you jack up the rear, other than that it's very easy to work on the CX-5..... if I remember correctly 14mm socket for caliper pins and 17mm for the front calipers to remove the rotors......

I removed all four rotors to apply anti-seize on the inside so when it comes time to replace it'll be easy peesy, been around the block before where I haven;t done that and had to heat and bang for a good half hour to get rusted on rotors off, with anti seize they pop right off.

Oh, one important thing, DON'T CLAMP the rear pistons, they must be turned with a special tool, see Paul's Travels link.....

www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-5-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/

Last edited:
Yes everything works. Some steering wheel shudder when braking. Definitely a squeal from what sounds like the rear drivers side. 40k miles on the car.

Ive added the pdfs for changing the pads. It is fairly straight forward but be careful not to turn the piston while pushing it back into the calliper.

be careful not to turn the piston while pushing it back into the calliper.

wait, I don't understand, I thought the rear pistons have to be turned clockwise with the Lisle #28600 tool to retract it ?
and it's important for the grooves the end up lined up per Anchorman's PDF's ..... am I missing something ? why does the instructions say not to turn the rear piston if that's the only way to retract it ?

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-5-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/Mazda-CX-5-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide-023.html

If your dealer thinks you have problem on Electrical Parking Brake, show them the TSB R052/16C about EPB and have them check it out hopefully perform it for free. :)

TSB R052/16A you mentioned and R052/16B for "Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging" which would replace the EPB control unit are out of date.

The latest TSB R052/16C which will replace the rear calipers、discs、and pads with revised parts due to the rear brake dragging resulting in overheating、noise and the outer disc pad abnormally worn out. Now Mazda believes the culprit is the poorly designed rear brake calipers for EPB, not the EPB control unit.

Ive added the pdfs for changing the pads. It is fairly straight forward but be careful not to turn the piston while pushing it back into the calliper.
wait, I don't understand, I thought the rear pistons have to be turned clockwise with the Lisle #28600 tool to retract it ?
and it's important for the grooves the end up lined up per Anchorman's PDF's ..... am I missing something ? why does the instructions say not to turn the rear piston if that's the only way to retract it ?

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-5-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/Mazda-CX-5-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide-023.html
I believe the difference is the EPB. The video you posted is for non-EPB rear brake.

Really appreciate Anchorman posting valuable PDF files for rear brake service with EPB. This piece of information is what I need as the copy of my CX-5 service manual is from 2015 CX-5 which doesn't have the EPB.

I believe the difference is the EPB. The video you posted is for non-EPB rear brake.

Really appreciate Anchorman posting valuable PDF files for rear brake service with EPB. This piece of information is what I need as the copy of my CX-5 service manual is from 2015 CX-5 which doesn't have the EPB.

WHOA, wow I did not know this , good thing Anchorman posted this , agreed ! this is valuable info. so 2016/2017 CX-5's rear brake pistons aren't retracted by turning the grooves clockwise like previous years, have to go into maintenance mode and press back the pistons like the fronts. If someone who has done this already and can make a video of this maintenance mode that would great.

this is good info, I'm sure other owners or non-Mazda indy mechanics may not know this and would simple turn the piston like previous non EPB models or any other car.....

Last edited:
for 2016/2017, how do you perform the EPB automatic adjustment ? it doesn't say ?

• When the maintenance mode is completed, perform the electric parking brake automatic adjustment.
• With the electric parking brake automatic adjustment, the electric parking brake motor gear unit operation
time is longer than normal.

What the heck? just did a google search for EPB maintenance mode and Ford showed up on searches with same exact instructions ?
are Mazda and Ford still sharing technologies like EPB ?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&biw=1338&bih=725&q=ford+fusion+maintenance+mode&oq=ford+fusion+maintenance+mode&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i5i30k1.4358.7758.0.8015.14.12.0.0.0.0.32 5.1934.2-7j1.8.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..10.4.885...0i7i30k1j0i13k1j0i13i5i30k1j0i7i5i3 0k1.HWFY58ihf5I

Last edited:

see my post #11 above of this thread, dealer is right, there is a maintenance mode for rear electronic parking brakes for 2016/2017, the pistons don't retract by spinning them like previous years they are compressed back BUT have to be in maintenance mode.

Apparently you can manually retract the gear in the back of the caliper without any computer. You need to take the motor off the back of the caliper, and turn the heat all the way clockwise with a tire bit then depress the piston as you would normally like on the front. Then you need to line up the grooves by turning the piston after you have already depressed the piston

guys, I just tried this and it does work, thanks Anchorman, this helped a lot. I know, the instructions are a bit scary to press down the accelerator pedal fully, DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE. all this is done with the engine off. do not press brake pedal and start button.

note: for ignition ON (engine off), for the CX-5, you have to press the start button TWICE, pressing once only gives you ACC power

also, I don't have the tech package so the info LCD didn't say "maintenance mode"

BUT the parking brake with exclamation point dash light did light up.

I'll post a video later to show you guys, this pertains to 2016 and 2017 CX-5's only..

it's pretty cool, once maintenance mode is activated, you can here the motor retract a very long time,

and vice versa when deactivated, you can hear the motor push out until the piston touch the brake pads.

for those with EPB,
DO NOT TURN OR TRY TO COMPRESS THE PISTONS WITHOUT GOING INTO MAINTENANCE MODE,
you will damage the EPB motor.

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

Switching To Maintenance Mode

• Perform Steps 3, 4 within 5 s.
1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off).
2. Release the electric parking brake.
3. Switch the ignition off while maintaining the following conditions.
• Press the electric parking brake switch.
• Depress the accelerator pedal fully.
4. Switch the ignition ON (engine off) while maintaining the following conditions.
5. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light is illuminated in an amber color and the mode is switched to
maintenance mode.
6. Switch the ignition off.

Ending Maintenance Mode

• Perform Steps 2, 3 within 5 s.
2. Switch the ignition off while maintaining the following condition.
• Pull up the electric parking brake switch.
3. Switch the ignition ON (engine off) while maintaining the following conditions.
4. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light turns off and the maintenance mode is ended.
5. Switch the ignition off.

Last edited:
guys, I just tried this and it does work, thanks Anchorman, this helped a lot. I know, the instructions are a bit scary to press down the accelerator pedal fully, DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE. all this is done with the engine off. do not press brake pedal and start button.

note: for ignition ON (engine off), for the CX-5, you have to press the start button TWICE, pressing once only gives you ACC power

also, I don't have the tech package so the info LCD didn't say "maintenance mode"

BUT the parking brake with exclamation point dash light did light up.

I'll post a video later to show you guys, this pertains to 2016 and 2017 CX-5's only..

it's pretty cool, once maintenance mode is activated, you can here the motor retract a very long time,

and vice versa when deactivated, you can hear the motor push out until the piston touch the brake pads.

for those with EPB,
DO NOT TURN OR TRY TO COMPRESS THE PISTONS WITHOUT GOING INTO MAINTENANCE MODE,
you will damage the EPB motor.

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON)

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

Switching To Maintenance Mode

• Perform Steps 3, 4 within 5 s.
2. Release the electric parking brake.
3. Switch the ignition off while maintaining the following conditions.
4. Switch the ignition ON (engine off) while maintaining the following conditions.
5. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light is illuminated in an amber color and the mode is switched to
maintenance mode.
6. Switch the ignition off.

Ending Maintenance Mode

• Perform Steps 2, 3 within 5 s.
2. Switch the ignition off while maintaining the following condition.
3. Switch the ignition ON (engine off) while maintaining the following conditions.
4. Verify that the electric parking brake warning light turns off and the maintenance mode is ended.
5. Switch the ignition off.

thanks, I just tried this myself, and it works, you are right, you have to press the start button twice to get it to work. I heard the motor whirling itself back longer in maintenance mode than usual.

Yes, I can assure everybody it's quite straight forward although I cannot for the life of me remember why I've done it. The beauty of this system is that in reversing the motor it backs all the way off and advancing it back into contact, it sets the correct clearance no matter what the pad thickness is. You should only need to slightly turn the piston in order to align the pegs with the slots.

Thank you so much for this thread!!! I will be changing my brakes on my 2016 CX-5 for the first time and this just saved me a huge headache. Can you share your brake pads of choice? Are the Raybestos PGD1624C the best rear pads? What about fronts?

Again Thank you for this thread. Made my Sunday morning. :)

I just went out to Amazon and the Raybestos PGD1624C are not listed for my 2016 CX-5? Are these pads for older model CX-5's?

Last edited:
Thanks for your attached files. Notice you are in UK.with diesel. Just did rear brakes on a 16.5 CX-5 Touring FWD in US."Maintenance Mode" does not appear on my dash cluster but an icon showing a padlock with image of car repeatedly flashes (this icon is not in manual, so assume it is for service personnel). Might be European models have different software for "Maintenance Mode" than US cars. Thanks again for your direction.

Thanks for your attached files. Notice you are in UK.with diesel. Just did rear brakes on a 16.5 CX-5 Touring FWD in US."Maintenance Mode" does not appear on my dash cluster but an icon showing a padlock with image of car repeatedly flashes (this icon is not in manual, so assume it is for service personnel). Might be European models have different software for "Maintenance Mode" than US cars. Thanks again for your direction.

"padlock with image of car repeatedly flashing" ? I don't think that's the rear brake maintenance mode, that's just the regular anti-theft system indicator....I might be wrong for Touring models, not sure, but if activated correctly you should have heard the rear parking brake motors whirling for a long time.....

electronic rear parking brake maintenance mode symbol for Grand Touring is (P!)

in steady yellow lit up as shown in tomcat1146's post is stays on until you deactivate it.

see link:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861563-Maintenance-Mode-for-2016-2017-CX-5-electronic-brakes

Last edited:
blackcx5-
Thanks for the link to Tomcat1146's instructions. That cleared up the finer points of getting into and out of "Maintenance Mode."

Back